Apple hit with new lawsuit over iPad overheating in direct sunlight

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Most LCDs aren't very readable in direct sunlight anyway, and iPad isn't an exception in my opinion, the transflection properties aren't strong and the backlight just can't compete with sunlight. Maybe you get a 2:1 contrast ratio if you're lucky. I wouldn't read a book in direct sunlight either, it's too hot out and the pages are lit way too brightly. Get in the shade, put up a beach umbrella, whatever.

In a rough calculation, I think the iPad would be absorbing about 60 watts in direct sunlight, which is about twice the heat output of an average laptop computer in typical operation (not maxed out, but maybe not completely idle either). I can see how the iPad can get hot. It would not surprise me if sunlight is enough to take ambient temperature of 80 F and make the iPad 95 F or higher.

My iPhone shut down with a warning that it was too hot whilst I was on the beach in Florida last week. I had never seen that before but thought at the time what a clever thing it was and I placed it in a plastic bag into the cooler with the drinks. It was fine soon thereafter. I wonder if the iPad has a similar feature and if not it should have.
  • Reply 82 of 118
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

I've tried to use my iPad outside to read a number of times and have been frustrated that it shuts down.. this is in weather conditions where it is less than 95 degrees outside - but as another points out - because of the black surface - even if it's less than 95 degrees it seems to attract more heat and it shuts off - I have found it to be useless for outdoor reading when not in the shade. I tried to return it to Apple - but they weren't willing to take it back. My kindle works fine in direct sunlight...

Wow. That's pretty brave, effectively agreeing with the lawsuit in the midst of this crowd! You seem to be saying that as a book reader the iPad has a serious drawback that wasn't apparent when you bought it. That's an interesting perspective. And to your credit, it doesn't sound like you're so much complaining as simply reporting facts. So hopefully people will go easier on you than I expect....

The question is, does it rise to the level of a lawsuit? I would submit that it does not. The iPad is synonymous with a swiss army knife. It does many things that a standard knife can't do, but in the last analysis it isn't as good as a real knife/screwdriver/scissors, etcetera, for some things.

Should Apple have warned you of that when you bought it? There are obvious advantages and disadvantages as a book reader when compared to the Kindle, and there are less obvious advantages and disadvantages. In most people's cases the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. But generally that's because they're doing other things with the iPad, things that the Kindle just flat can't do. So I'd say that people who buy the iPad just to read are pretty rare, and of that number it's even rarer to find someone to whom it's important to read in an environment that overheats the iPad.

It's not that I'm belittling your issue; it's just that I don't think Apple can be expected to cover every single special case. The physical reality is that a color tablet requires the kind of electronics that won't do well in the heat without a fan, and putting a fan in the tablet would increase the price, the weight, the complexity, the noise, and decrease the battery life. In other words, there's not a whole heck of a lot they can do about it if they want to keep the vast majority of their customers happy.
  • Reply 83 of 118
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My iPhone shut down with a warning that it was too hot whilst I was on the beach in Florida last week. I had never seen that before but thought at the time what a clever thing it was and I placed it in a plastic bag into the cooler with the drinks. It was fine soon thereafter. I wonder if the iPad has a similar feature and if not it should have.

Actually it sounds like this might be a neat little accessory. Maybe something you put in the freezer that looks like a cover but can keep cold for hours. When your iPad overheats, you pop it inside for a minute, then you're good to go for a while.

The iCool!

• Reply 84 of 118
    Well duh. Allot of things overheat in direct sunlight. including humans. Class action lawsuit against the Universe!
  • Reply 85 of 118
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Actually it sounds like this might be a neat little accessory. Maybe something you put in the freezer that looks like a cover but can keep cold for hours. When your iPad overheats, you pop it inside for a minute, then you're good to go for a while.

The iCool!

Yeah, getting electronic devices really hot then really cold then really hot is definitely really good for them.

With the condensation (take a beer out of the cooler and it'll drip in a few minutes) and expansion & contraction of all the components, sure to pop a few chips off.
  • Reply 86 of 118
    Can a lawyer be sued for pretending to care about the poor helpless consumer for their own financial gain.

Seems like an appropriate time that businesses should get together and file a class action lawsuit against a lawyer.
  • Reply 87 of 118
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Today I was just thinking how amazingly bug free the iPad is for a first generation product.
  • Reply 88 of 118
    What a crock of shit. I've had my iPad in Bangkok for a month, ave daily temp 38C+, and used it as much as 10 hrs a day, and it ain't overheated yet nor erred in any way.

"environmental environments" - this ain't no lawyer, this is an asshole.
  • Reply 89 of 118
    njbrettnjbrett Posts: 4member
    Not that I agree with filling a lawsuit over it, but I was surprised that a few times when I took my iPad outside on days that I believe were well under 95 degrees it did quickly overheat (10-20 mins) and shut down. I've never seen a similar problem with cell phones or laptops used in sunlight, maybe a tradeoff for the iPad's great tiny form factor. It would be nice if Apple could address this (maybe a little less heat absorbing black on the front bezel of next years model) but I still love my iPad either way.
  • Reply 90 of 118
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drhamad View Post

Well, as much as I think this suit is ridiculous, I do have to be fair to them here:

The ambient temperature can be well under 95 F and it be too hot for the iPad (or in my case, iPhone) to operate, because if it's in direct sunlight it's usually heating up far beyond the ambient. This is NOT covered by the Apple statement.

But I mean, c'mon. This is common sense.

That's probably why they don't say "ambient temperature". I would interpret Apple's statement as the temperature the device would experience due to any environmental conditions. That would include the temp of the air and the effects of sun light, wind, whatever the iPad may be resting on (like hot concrete), etc. You can't be in near freezing ambient temperature and then wonder why your iPod doesn't work when you set it on the burner of a stove. So basically, you have to include the effect of all sources of thermal transfer.
  • Reply 91 of 118
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Free loaders trying to claim ipads overheat when the weather in most of the country has been upper 90s. Give me a break. go do something useful with your time!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 92 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Most LCDs aren't very readable in direct sunlight anyway, and iPad isn't an exception in my opinion, the transflection properties aren't strong (I think good transflection sacrifices other desirable properties) and the backlight just can't compete with sunlight. Maybe you get a 2:1 contrast ratio if you're lucky. I wouldn't read a book in direct sunlight either, it's too hot out and the pages are lit way too brightly. Get in the shade, put up a beach umbrella, whatever.

In a rough calculation, I think the iPad would be absorbing about 60 watts in direct sunlight, which is about twice the heat output of an average laptop computer in typical operation (not maxed out, but maybe not completely idle either). I can see how the iPad can get hot. It would not surprise me if direct sunlight on the front surface is enough to take ambient temperature of 80 F and make the iPad 95 F or higher, and trip the temperature alarm.

By todays standards is pretty hard to believe that the iPad should have to shutdown and cool off when it hits 95 F. The average smartphone with a reasonable load will run at 35 to 38c with no issues at all. We all know that computer systems can run well in excess of 75c without any issue at all.

There is no way the iPad should have to shutdown at 35c.
  • Reply 93 of 118
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

By todays standards is pretty hard to believe that the iPad should have to shutdown and cool off when it hits 95 F. The average smartphone with a reasonable load will run at 35 to 38c with no issues at all. We all know that computer systems can run well in excess of 75c without any issue at all.

There is no way the iPad should have to shutdown at 35c.

It doesn't shut down when it hits 95 degrees. It shuts down at some higher temperature (which we don't know). Apple is simply stating that if the environmental temperature (air temp, effects of sun, and other sources) does not go about 95 degrees, the internal temperature of the iPad will not go above that unknown shutdown temperature. Depending on how much load is on the iPad and how much heat it is generating itself, it may operate just fine in environmental conditions well over 100 deg...as long as it's not generating too much heat itself.
  • Reply 94 of 118
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    I just used my iPad for hours in 95 deg heat on the beach in full sunlight. The iPad was very warm, but it never overheated. I can't imagine exposing to more heat then that would be considered reasonable.
  • Reply 95 of 118
    Lawyers are the reason that every cup of McDonald's coffee reads:

CAUTION: Content is HOT!
  • Reply 96 of 118
    Shoosh American! All you care is lawsuits. Get a job will you!
  • Reply 97 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

Lawyers are the reason that every cup of McDonald's coffee reads:

CAUTION: Content is HOT!

Actually, McDonald's negligence is the reason it says, "CAUTION: Content is HOT!"

It wasn't a simple matter of she spilled coffee.

It was served at 185 degrees in a styrofoam cup and that was simply stupid. It caused 3rd degree burns, not just a little redness.
  • Reply 98 of 118
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Actually, McDonald's negligence is the reason it says, "CAUTION: Content is HOT!"

It wasn't a simple matter of she spilled coffee.

It was served at 185 degrees in a styrofoam cup and that was simply stupid. It caused 3rd degree burns, not just a little redness.

"Not just a little redness.". That sounds comforting.

Didn't this person try to remove the lid of the cup of coffee while holding it between her legs while as a passenger in a moving car?

185 degrees is semantics! I don't think I'd like it much if I spilled 85 degree coffee between my legs!

Maybe the lawyers should have had McDonalds put the following warning on their cups:

WARNING: Being stupid can cause bodily injury! Hold your coffee cup in your hands as God gave you use of... they're called opposable thumbs. Handle cup of hot coffee only when stationary. Avoid herky, jerky moveable vehicles. In a nutshell use the common sense the good Lord gave ya!
  • Reply 99 of 118
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post

Gulp!

I want one. Dontbhave it yet but if you cannot take it to the park and browse the net or read a book, email, apple stock is going to tumble fast, really, really fast. A lot is going to depend on shade vs a few apps open vs pixel problems. Man. It seem like apple is falling apart in their Q&A dept.
  • Reply 100 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Didn't this person try to remove the lid of the cup of coffee while holding it between her legs while as a passenger in a moving car?

Actually, her grandson had just gone through the drive thru and stopped so she could add cream and sugar.

Quote:

185 degrees is semantics! I don't think I'd like it much if I spilled 85 degree coffee between my legs!

Sure, you'd be ticked off and all wet but you wouldn't go to the burn unit and spend 8 days in the hospital getting skin grafts.

McDonalds had over 700 complaints of burns (some 3rd degree also) prior to this.

She only wanted her hospital bills taken care of but Ronald McDonald told her to get bent.