Apple's new $69 Magic Trackpad allows multi-touch gestures on desktop

Comments

• Reply 121 of 143
    How about PowerPC's. Will it work on a G5?

It says OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard with the latest upgrades is needed, but the magic mouse works on my G5 flawlessly.

Does anybody know?
  • Reply 122 of 143
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I think the Wacom Bamboo Fun touch pad would be better than this because you have the option to draw on it to as well as have some independent tactile buttons, although it is much more expensive. I really don't get why they didn't attach this to the wireless keyboard. Even if people prefer the Magic Mouse, it's no big deal to have both. The ergonomics shouldn't be too bad either - certainly no worse than a laptop.
  • Reply 123 of 143
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Seeing as how I do most of my stuff on my MacBook, and whenever I am at my desktop, I am gaming, this is a pass for me, but thanks for the try, Apple.
  • Reply 124 of 143
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

So does this mean the new trackpad has support in Windows as well as OSX? Or just under bootcamp?

The Magic Trackpad could be wonderful for PC laptops with their craptastic trackpads. Instead of touting around a bulky mouse, laptop users could just use the Magic.
  • Reply 125 of 143
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

Most folks are happy with the elegance of an existing MB/MBP touchpad and Magic Mouse.

Why limit the gestures in the first place? If Apple believes casual users can't remember more complex gestures, just assign less common functions to them. But leave them in so people who have better memories can use them if they prefer. Basically, leave the choice up to the user. People who have never used an iGesture don't know what they're missing.

BetterTouchTool looks good, but it's still another utility to have to keep up to date. As of this moment, it's broken, thanks to Apple's new trackpad drivers. What I would love to see is something like Hipporemote for the iPad be able to use all of the various gestures of an iGesture. But somehow, I don't think that would make it into the App Store. I seriously doubt Apple would allow an app that directly competes with one of their hardware products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think the Wacom Bamboo Fun touch pad would be better than this because you have the option to draw on it to as well as have some independent tactile buttons, although it is much more expensive.

The big problem with the Bamboo Touch is that many users have complained that the finger tracking is, shall we say, less than smooth. It's also limited to two-finger gestures at most.
  • Reply 126 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

That's quite a pair of blinkers you're wearing there.

The eco claims for the charger seem sound and the price is only a few pounds more than similar quality chargers I've recently been looking at.

I'd happily use the trackpad to control the apple tv/mac mini across the room - of course it would work- just think outside the box. If the interface is on the screen and all you need to do is point, then it works. Simples.

Simples? Yeah those blinkers are called the walls of my office and living room. So what if the interface is on screen? If I'm in another room then it's useless. Even simpler.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

You need textile feel when you are working with multiple buttons. When you have a multitouch surface you don't need to feel anything, just need to remember the right gestures.

Multiple buttons? You mean like on a remote control?

I've used and justified Apple input devices for years. High quality? Yes. Pretty? Always. Well thought out design? Usually, but they always fall short of their own potential. Especially in terms of ergonomics. The trackpad is the best device I've seen in a while, don't get me wrong, it's just not impressive. At it's price point it's pretty cool, but it would have been great if it were a mini cintiq tablet. Do you really work in photoshop without pressure sensitivity? Really? That sounds like a throwback to me. And if I'm in Final Cut pro, Color, Logic, whatever App you want, wouldn't it have been nice if you could create/ customize your buttons and controllers right on a touch tablet/ screen? Yes, of course it would.

Apple just wants to take 10 years to get there and milk the potential of the device. The company they bought multi touch from had way better devices than this and if it had Apple's sexiness slapped over it with the full power behind it, the touch pad would have been amazing. I prefer amazing when it comes to my tools, not Meh. Not everyone is that way. Some people are content to own a Toyota, I'd rather drive a Mercedes. Some want to buy and HP and I prefer Macs. The problem is that the input devices never really met the same standards. With the towers for instance, quality is the only difference. With input devices they can ride on the "design" as the key selling factor. When I actually have to use the thing, function would be the selling point for me, like I said though. The track pad is probably the most functional device yet. It just could have been more so.

I personally don't care what SJ thinks about the stylus either. Sometimes you have to think about someone other than yourself to make a great product. I have to do this all the time since I don't personally buy Cheetos, but it's my job to sell them and a bunch of other things I'd never buy. The stylus is never going to disappear, never. That's like saying the pen will vanish some day. No it won't. We've been using sticks to draw pictures in clay tablets since the 30th century BCE. Ever try signing something with your finger? Finger painting is for fine artists? Nope. This is such a similar example how ridiculous the one button mouse was after the first ten years of the Mac. In ten years SJ will claim that he's reinvented the Stylus. We call it the "Magic Brush". I love Steve, but I'm getting tired of the same old schtick.

Most recently, the "magic" mouse pays little consideration to ergonomics IMO. Way too small and too thin. I think the drive away from buttons is nice in principle, but sometimes physical buttons are what you want. It's just gives you a better tactile response. There's no way around that. I don't agree with putting form over function when it comes to a device my hand has to interface with 10 - 16 hours a day. Touch is an important sense that we don't use consciously most of the time and it allows us to work very fast, without thought. Apple has chosen to ignore tactile response and I happen to believe that we are losing 20% of our sensory perception by removing the physicality of the device and limiting our own abilities.

Going further back, the one button mouse was a ridiculous holdover for far to many years. Today we have two buttons, but not earlier when we actually had to have buttons? Somehow touch sensitivity made two buttons possible? That sounds odd.

Finally, ergonomics seem to take a back seat too often. Third party manufacturers have some great designs that overall are better than Apple's at a slightly lower price for a product at the same quality. These input devices of Apple's are becoming fashion accessories for the Macs. They match! OMFG

So after fifteen years of loyal fandom, I've come to my senses when comparing Apple to other device manufacturers. I've had to justify it so many times in my budgets so when it comes to peripherals I can't recommend them. I'm tired of seeing mediocre, overpriced devices from the best computer manufacturer out there. Matching aesthetics isn't enough. It has to functionally be the best as well. Most guys probably pick their women applying the same rules though. "She's hot and kind of interesting" (for about a year). Instead of, "this is the most interesting woman I have ever met and she's beautiful"? (Unless he's a douche that's going to last). Beauty always fades and is always secondary. Even for a Mac.
  • Reply 127 of 143
    nowayout11nowayout11 Posts: 326member
    I'm pretty sure the "Apple" batteries are repackaged Sanyo eneloop batteries, or something very similar.

Eneloop batts are pretty good. I hate when rechargables drain on their own after 2-3 months. It's not a problem with eneloops. The "80% capacity after 1 year" claim is not far off the truth. They're particularly better for slow-drain stuff like clocks, remotes, keyboards, etc... things that would last longer than 2-3 months if not for the self-drain of the battery.

I put 4 AAA eneloops inside a home phone over a year ago to power the caller ID. I still haven't recharged them. And I have a couple of AA's powering my Tivo remote that I've only recharged once or twice over the same time period.

They're just batteries, but they're good.
  • Reply 128 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roylee View Post

Was hoping this came out with the revamped Apple TV with iOS. This would be perfect for controlling that from the couch.

No it wouldn't. iOS needs you to touch the screen itself, not some other surface. How will you be able to accurately touch where you want with a trackpad that doesn't even have the same shape as your iOS device?

BS. If iOS ever comes to TV, it'll have to be controlled by a specific application in your iPhone or iPad; but even of this solution I am skeptical. If you gotta look at your input device to control it, then what's the point of having it on the TV anyway? Very little marginal usefulness this iOS appliance would have.
  • Reply 129 of 143
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

... Most recently, the "magic" mouse pays little consideration to ergonomics IMO. Way too small and too thin. ...

I think the ergonomics on the Magic Mouse are better than any other mouse I've used. I hate to suggest this, but maybe you're holding it wrong, or using one of those wrist pad mouse pads, or something... (I hold mine, by the way, with my fingertips, with my wrist straight.) Well, it may just be that my hand is different from yours. And maybe that indicates that it's not possible to make a one size fits all mouse, but it's definitely the best mouse I've ever had, and I love it's simplicity and functionality.

I'm getting a Magic Trackpad, just because I think it will be even better than the Magic Mouse, and I miss my trackpad now that I use an iMac. But, I'm not getting the MT because I don't like the MM. I'm getting the MT because I think it will be even better. (I think the MT will be better at least 80% of the time, and I'll keep my MM for the other 20%)
  • Reply 130 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

No it wouldn't. iOS needs you to touch the screen itself, not some other surface. How will you be able to accurately touch where you want with a trackpad that doesn't even have the same shape as your iOS device?

BS. If iOS ever comes to TV, it'll have to be controlled by a specific application in your iPhone or iPad; but even of this solution I am skeptical. If you gotta look at your input device to control it, then what's the point of having it on the TV anyway? Very little marginal usefulness this iOS appliance would have.

You've misunderstood his point. He said iOS, referring to the trimmed down version of OS X that runa on ARM processors.

He did not state CocoaTouch which is what makes the GUI currently used on all iOS devices so great. CocoaTouch is not required for iOS to be an OS, it's only required for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad to work because they use a touchscreen for input.

As it's been theorized and detailed (by me for years to say the least), an more recently rumored across the Internet for months now, there is an

Inexpensive AppleTV that uses an ARM processor and can push 1080p with ease. This would have no HDD, just NAND, obviously use iOS as have a 10-foot user interface created do it to make it ideal for the device.

Not that Apple has already done this twice by making Mac OS X into the iPhone OS and the AppleTV OS, which is still pretty much a standard Tiger build with device specific tweaks like BackRow for the UI.
  • Reply 131 of 143
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You've misunderstood his point. He said iOS, referring to the trimmed down version of OS X that runa on ARM processors.

He did not state CocoaTouch which is what makes the GUI currently used on all iOS devices so great. CocoaTouch is not required for iOS to be an OS, it's only required for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad to work because they use a touchscreen for input.

As it's been theorized and detailed (by me for years to say the least), an more recently rumored across the Internet for months now, there is an

Inexpensive AppleTV that uses an ARM processor and can push 1080p with ease. This would have no HDD, just NAND, obviously use iOS as have a 10-foot user interface created do it to make it ideal for the device.

Not that Apple has already done this twice by making Mac OS X into the iPhone OS and the AppleTV OS, which is still pretty much a standard Tiger build with device specific tweaks like BackRow for the UI.

The whole Mac OS vs. iOS thing is definitely the source of some confusion. Part of that is that all iOS versions to date have included CocoaTouch. I think of iOS as the version of Mac OS that runs on ARM, and obviously you do too, but does Apple? Or do they think of it as the version that includes CocoaTouch? So, would an ARM powered AppleTV run an OS branded as iOS, or would they still call it AppleTV OS. The former has more of a buzz factor involved, but the latter would create less confusion, avoiding people thinking that it's a touch OS because it's called iOS.
  • Reply 132 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The whole Mac OS vs. iOS thing is definitely the source of some confusion. Part of that is that all iOS versions to date have included CocoaTouch. I think of iOS as the version of Mac OS that runs on ARM, and obviously you do too, but does Apple? Or do they think of it as the version that includes CocoaTouch? So, would an ARM powered AppleTV run an OS branded as iOS, or would they still call it AppleTV OS. The former has more of a buzz factor involved, but the latter would create less confusion, avoiding people thinking that it's a touch OS because it's called iOS.

It certainly is confusing!

I was annoyed when the iPad was announced and they stated it has iPhone OS on it despite the interface being dynamically different unlike netbooks and tablets that used desktop OS GUIs on a tiny screen they weren't deigned for. It detracted from how mich was changed to make it ideal for the device.

If Apple calls it AppleTV OS I'll be happy with that as it won't bring about confusion (and have been calling it that since 2007 specifically to avoid confusion in certain discussions) but at this point I think they want to advertise how many devices are using this base version on OS X.

However, I don't recall them ever given the AppleTV an official name so they may not with this one, but if sales are great and/or there is an SDK they just might.

PS: For about the first year of the iPhone Apple referred to their diverging OSes as "OS X iPhone" and "OS X Mac" which shows they first thought of them as versions of the OS X umbrella.
  • Reply 133 of 143
    Quote:

Still, do you think Apple would go back to using point-and click and deploy it in iOS? This wouldn't feel like iOS as we know it anymore... So many apps we are familiar with, and so much about the system itself, wouldn't work or make sense anymore...

Ok, CocoaTouch and iOS can be independent from each other... but, really? Nah, they were made for each other... usage and all else would be so different without it that Apple wouldn't call it iOS. A TV is a big display for content and like the iMac it's not mobile. It's not getting iOS or touch interface.

My TV attached as a display to my Mac, and controlled by the best pointing device that is the new Magic Trackpad, that is a really good thing for me. If you don't need all that, I agree AppleTV needs getting smaller, cheaper, and more powerful streaming capabilities (1080p, stream all content from your iTunes cloud, or better, stream your full Mac as with Back-to-my-Mac!!), but any input device for an external display needs either tactile feedback (e.g. any remote control, game controller, mouse, keyboard), pointer support (e.g. trackpads for computer OSs or Wii-like motion pointing) or a screen (e.g. iPhone Remote app or other VNCs, which however limits functionality of your whole 10-foot appliance to selecting and then displaying passive content, since you can't simultaneously look at the remote and the screen).
  • Reply 134 of 143
    @ AppleSwitcher,

I can see how the initial conversation may have been a little confusing if you were being superficial about your definition of iOS but it's been explained so your last comment just makes you look like an idiot.
  • Reply 135 of 143
    Quote:

I can see how the initial conversation may have been a little confusing if you were being superficial about your definition of iOS but it's been explained so your last comment just makes you look like an idiot.

Geez... no need to be rude...

I don't agree I was being superficial about it. These are just different views. I call iOS what Apple calls iOS. Why is that being superficial about it?

And I was just giving my thoughts on why I don't see Apple putting it in the TV. Also, I hadn't read yours and anonymouse's last posts before I posted my previous reply to you, or i might have changed it a bit. Still, what I said does make sense and supports my statement that the trackpad isn't good for controlling iOS... and that Mac OSX, controlled by such devices, is better than iOS for your TV.

I don't see any idiot in this entire exchange, but just people providing different views and explanations to the forum readers, none of which should be disregarded unless they become personal attacks. I was adding more thoughts on the topic, not rebating the discussion on the definition of iOS. So if you don't agree with my opinion, I'd appreciate if you would provide argument, not discredit. Especially being yourself a constant and helpful contributor to these forums.
  • Reply 136 of 143
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    A track pad controlling an ATV might just be a lot of fun

or not

But many of you above me here get so worked up about a latte priced device that i wonder if you are just a gigantic cry babies'

70 bucks dude . Ands who TO know exactly what magic apple will give when we get one in our hands ?And what SW updates makes it even better .

Please people.

Almost every thread lately has been hi jacked and filled with an ARMY OF hysterical people who are DOOMED for life or the world is doomed for 7 days or Apple just killed off the last blue whale >> if the mightily mouse track pad is glossy not matte . And we all know the 3 finger swipe in a glossy track pad can blind all the people on that web page if they own a blu ray

Almost every topic hashes idiotic myopic

comments that serve only to put down an apple device not yet shipped ,

Look some here like to read and learn what new chips do what and things like that.

.We don;t need the hackintosh daily bitch session.

The fact that APPLE'S lowest entry MB white plastic fully loaded is a very very powerful machine that beats almost any hp dell acer on this planet should allow Apple some leeway and wait for 2 weeks to see how NEW thing lay;s out .This fact alone should earn apple some respect .

We don;t need a cry baby fest . on every topic do we ?? man i miss teckstud

• Reply 137 of 143
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

The Apple Charger + Batteries is actually a very nice deal. I just picked one up. It comes with 6 AA incredible batteries, plus you can charge your own 3rd party rechargeable batteries.

From the site:

The site doesn't tell me about the capacity or charge times. Just the typical Apple superlatives. Sometimes a little light on detail.
  • Reply 138 of 143
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

We don;t need a cry baby fest . on every topic do we ?? man i miss teckstud

IIRC, after he was shown the door he just created a new account. He's here, just under an assumed name.
  • Reply 139 of 143
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

The site doesn't tell me about the capacity or charge times. Just the typical Apple superlatives. Sometimes a little light on detail.

Yeah, I talked to an Apple Chat Representative who said the capacity is undisclosed, and the charge time is something like 80% in 1 hour and 100% in 2 hours, although that was just an estimate at this time. I would also have liked some more details, but I can understand the capacity not being mentioned, as tests have shown that is about as good a way of measuring battery life as processors by their clock speed.
  • Reply 140 of 143
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

You need textile feel when you are working with multiple buttons.

Did you mean tactile feel or are you making that up 'out of whole cloth'?

Please don't groan. Should I hate myself for coming up with that pun?

Just in case you weren't aware of the idiom: (made up) out of whole cloth -

Dictionary definition: To be completely invented. The whole article was a fairy tale, made up out of whole cloth.