Apple's new 27-inch LED Cinema Display to ship in September

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

I hope it has a modern 93%+ NTSC color gamut, unlike the other, old and lousy Apple monitors...

Actually Apple Monitors are quite good. I run and own an design agency which actually does print and can tell you that you could do a lot worse than the cinema display line. The real question is if apple will support larger video cards ( although new ATi cards are a good start. ) Try out the LED I doubt you will get a brighter screen. Colour temp and gamut aside not everyone in the world uses NTSC...
  • Reply 62 of 73
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Why are they discontinuing the 24"?

27" is just too overwhelming on the senses.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

it'll unfortunately probably be another glossy.

I HATE glossy. Apparently I'm not alone in this.

They still make the old 30" display.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

It's a nice looking display but they should have pushed the price down on the 24 and kept it in the lineup too. Also in one of the product shots you see it next to an imac and the screens don't line up, why would they not have the new 27" led sit a bit higher so the screen edges line up? That just seems stupid to me.

Yeah, I don't understand that either. I mean, ok, not a lot of 27" iMac owners will want a second monitor, but, what's the downside for everyone else of making it so that for those who do, the screens are the same height?
  • Reply 65 of 73
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

They still make the old 30" display.

yeah. great. an overpriced old display, that doesn't have displayport in.

I got the newer dell for cheaper. better specs. I would happily give apple more of my money they're just too arrogant in this regard.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

How much is that Dell, of whatever is considered to be the best Matte 24-30' Monitor out there? Where is the best to buy it, and see it before buying it? Any stores in NYC for that?

Any compatibility problems with Macs? Is there an article that compares it to Apple? How good would the Warranty be?

As one who owns the Dell U2711, I can confidently say it is indeed a pro monitor, and is one of the best out there in the 27"-30" range. I know people here tend to turn their nose up at anything labeled "Dell," but in terms of monitors, Dell has their shit together. Very few reviews have rated the U2711 anything below a 90/100, so feel free to check out the web. It retails from Dell for $1099, but can be had for far less. I bought mine from a reseller for $899 (new, not a refurb), and Dell itself occassionally lists the U2711 for as low as $899, which is an absolute steal considering the quality you're getting.

Keep in mind too that the Apple 24" and 27" Cinema Displays are closely related to the Dell U2410 and U2711. The panels are produced by the same manufacturer. In terms of features and specs though, the Dell I think wins out. Comes with a 3 year warranty.

Sorry, I kinda feel like a Dell salesman or something after this post. Just wanted to give a proper reply to someone's honest inquiry

[EDIT] Oh, to answer your question about Mac compatibility- I don't believe there are any issues. There's even a "Mac mode" selectable under the gamma settings. I have not a clue what that means, however.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    kento96kento96 Posts: 7member
    I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but can't believe I'm the only one who's noticed the following.

I've tried glossy screens (on MacBook Pro or whatever) in an "optimal lighting environment" and there is still a problem! Unless you're able to get far enough from the screen (not very likely with a laptop and not particularly practical with a separate display in most cases), the glow from the display itself is enough to light me up a bit and cause my reflection to be noticeable in the darker parts of the screen! It's a bit like looking into a store window at noon.

So, even in total darkness, there's still the possibility of reflections on the screen since there is still a source of light in the room and it's sitting right in front of you! You can, of course, tilt the monitor up, but that means tilting it pretty high to get past the reflection of your head! Or you can tilt the monitor down, then look at the screen to watch yourself typing on the keyboard!

This is a somewhat minor reflection and may not matter to many people, but when you're trying to make small but important changes to an image in Photoshop (or whatever), those reflections (noticeable in darker areas and especially larger black areas) can get pretty annoying and intrusive.

The blacks may look a bit blacker on a glossy screen, but they don't look so great when you can easily see things reflected in them. Maybe I could completely cover myself in black cloth to avoid this problem. Yeah, that should solve it!

In short: I'd definitely prefer the option of a less glossy screen, especially since I'm not often able to be in "optimal lighting."

Kento
  • Reply 68 of 73
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kento96 View Post

The blacks may look a bit blacker on a glossy screen, but they don't look so great when you can easily see things reflected in them. Maybe I could completely cover myself in black cloth to avoid this problem. Yeah, that should solve it!

In short: I'd definitely prefer the option of a less glossy screen, especially since I'm not often able to be in "optimal lighting."

Kento

I'll play the part of Steve Jobs here and tell you to "Dress differently." heh. Actually, Jobs might not notice those reflections, given he's always in a black mock-turtleneck and jeans
  • Reply 69 of 73
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

I'd love to connect this monitor to my PC as well, not just to my MacBookPro.

Does your PC have DVI or HDMI? You can get adaptors from places like Monprice. Or if your PC is less than a couple years old, especially if it's a Dell, it probably has DisplayPort already. If so, a really simple adaptor to convert display port to mini is all you need.

DisplayPort is the future. I'd be more upset that my PC didn't have DisplayPort vs USB 3.

Quote:

And no USB 3.0 hub? Have to skip this one as well...

1) What USB 3 devices do you have that you will miss the extra speed on?

2) What computer are plugging these USB 3 devices into that has USB 3?

3) And you are *really* going to base a buying decision on a screen over a USB hub that you can duplicate for less than $50 outside of the monitor?
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluevoid View Post

And, of course, if you are in an environment where you get significant reflections on your screen, that's a problem with a glass display.

I have an issue with these complaints - if you are a real pro where color matters, you would be working in a controlled environment, you would never see reflections because... wait for it... you are in a controlled environment. Ambient light is as much a factor as the quality of the display itself. It all affects your perception of color.

The circular logic in these forums is sometimes breathtaking.

Personally, I will be waiting to see, as was pointed out by someone else earlier, how accurately this display produces gamut. If it's a wide gamut monitor, despite it being a little smaller than the 30" I'll be all over it. Lighting in my office is controlled and I have a calibrator and I know how to use it Color is so much richer and more accurate on my MacBook Pro that I too will never buy another foggy, fuzzy matte display again.

People claiming that real "pro work" can only be done on matte remind me of photographers stating that the only real work could be done on film. While that sounded quite plausible even five years ago, you would get laughed at if you claimed that now. Eventually the furor over matte will subside. Not for everyone, and that's fine. But hopefully these silly arguments about "you can only do real pro work [sic]" will at least fall by the wayside.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

What is so damn hard for both of you to say "To each their own?"

Funny, I must have missed the part of the announcements of the new machines that also stated they only work with Apple displays

Apple has NEVER been all things to all people. It's never been a company to be most things to most people. They have a set product line and they stick to it. Their sales projections show that that vast number of people prefer glossy, so that's what they offer. They have plainly stated as much - and yet conspiracy theories, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth continue. Why? If you want a matte display, Apple isn't your vendor.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Convince enough people to prefer matte, convince Apple they exist, and they may offer it as an option. Apple finally did on the 15" MacBook Pro. I would love to see the sales numbers for the matte option vs the default glossy display. I would wager the numbers are pretty inconsequential which is why Apple charged extra to cover the expense in stocking an option that isn't otherwise cost effective.

If your going to cry about the Apple design aesthetic and that you want matching display and computer... I don't know what to say. Prepare to be perpetually disappointed. Go get another monitor and try to be happy. You'll live longer
  • Reply 72 of 73
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

As one who owns the Dell U2711, I can confidently say it is indeed a pro monitor, and is one of the best out there in the 27"-30" range. I know people here tend to turn their nose up at anything labeled "Dell," but in terms of monitors, Dell has their shit together. Very few reviews have rated the U2711 anything below a 90/100, so feel free to check out the web. It retails from Dell for $1099, but can be had for far less. I bought mine from a reseller for $899 (new, not a refurb), and Dell itself occassionally lists the U2711 for as low as $899, which is an absolute steal considering the quality you're getting.

Keep in mind too that the Apple 24" and 27" Cinema Displays are closely related to the Dell U2410 and U2711. The panels are produced by the same manufacturer. In terms of features and specs though, the Dell I think wins out. Comes with a 3 year warranty.

Sorry, I kinda feel like a Dell salesman or something after this post. Just wanted to give a proper reply to someone's honest inquiry

[EDIT] Oh, to answer your question about Mac compatibility- I don't believe there are any issues. There's even a "Mac mode" selectable under the gamma settings. I have not a clue what that means, however.

Same or similar panel means almost nothing anymore. They all use generic panels. Eizos in the $2000-4000 range use the same or similar variations to what is used in Dell and NEC, and they even have the irritating LG sparkle from an aggressive anti glare coating. What I'm saying is don't assume something's the same because it uses the same panel. Some manufacturers have added a lot of extra electronics to modify the behavior of these panels as ips has pretty much become a commoditized technology, so panel quality isn't really what defines these. I've read dell only measures them in the center and I don't know what their tolerance is. I haven't been able to find anything on apple's testing procedures but I have seen uniformity issues.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Any guesses on tomorrow being the release date?