Apple looking into iOS 4 problems on iPhone 3G

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Users have complained of several major problems after upgrading to the new operating system, including slowness, decreased battery life and overheating.

My 3G seems to be ok. There is a delay opening apps but nothing major. Overall, I prefer it to version 3.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The increased memory requirements of iOS 4 are cited as a reason for disabling the extra features.

That's what really annoys me about iOS4 for the 3G. There's not really any reason to disable multi-tasking. The device would only use the available RAM anyway. Fair enough the home screen wallpaper as it may slow things down but this video shows multi-tasking working fine on the 3G:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7J9PQ2PN7U

Apple literally put in a plist with an option thats says multi-tasking yes/no and turn it off for older devices. They just push users to jailbreak their devices to make them pleasant to use. \

Even if they have a preference to turn it on or off and let users decide what works best.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    My phone was TOTALLY USELESS after upgrade.

1.Apps craching (yea the apple ones aswell, mail, safari, ipod)

2.apps not starting on the first go

3. Music interrupting to play (before that ipod never ever interrupted playing (stutering) when doing anything else)

4. crazy lag everywhere (2secs-30 secs when you push something in UI)

5. typing was unsusable because of the lag. 1-5 seconds for geting a single letter to apear

I tried many things that only worked for a short while. The only thing I found out that i could keep going all the time was plain and simple but not very nice. I think it may be a solutions for those that have upgraded their 3G and need a solution for the time being, untill apple fixes the problem. The problem is memory usage on IOS4!!!

By turning off spotlight indexing seemed to help the memory problems that the phone is experiencing so that you dont get a lag on the phone..

settings > home-button > spotlight search > turn of all categorys

After about 10 days I havent had any problems and have not booted the phone!!!
  • Reply 43 of 80
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I have a 3g and will upgrade to the ip4 the moment my contracts let me. I love my iPhone. But there is nothing wrong with being pragmatic and facing up to the realities. Some people use their iPhones for calls only in which case I personally would buy a something smaller and cheaper.

Yep I think thats true. I recommend everyone who asks me the same thing: The iPhone is a multifunctional device that can do phone calls as well but if some one just needs a phone, then why the H. should he buy an iPhone? I love my iPhone 3G even even with iOS4 on it. It became quite a bit slower. But there are solutions for that.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Not users. Jailbreakers and participants of the flashmob attack on Apple.

iOS4.0 is indeed buggy and many applications don't operate well under new OS on the 3G. But the OS itself was never slow. Precisely ``performance issues' ' do not exist.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

iPhone 3G + iOS 4 = EPIC FAIL

Speak for yourself. My experience is quite the opposite.

When I first upgraded to iOS4.0 on my 3G it was very slow, yes, but the upgrade to 4.0.1 fixed everything and my 3G is running as fast as it ever did, and battery life has improved significantly. Great job Apple.

Quote:

The whole iOS 4/iPhone 4.0 is Apple's Vista. Apple should have NEVER allowed the 3G to updrade to the iOS 4.

I'm sorry, but there's only one word I can use to reply to that: BULLSH1T.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    Never upgrade to a higher version of your OS nless the first Service Pack is out. This sys afdmin rle applies to basically all OSes.

What strikes me though is the blatent lack of quality control this time. Between Antennagate and lack of performance one would have thoght that Apple actually test these things thoroughly before releasing this to the market. I mean - did they not notice the performance issues whilst developing iOS. Or did they develop the whole iOS4 shibang on iPhone4.

Most of these issues could have been adressed ex-ante by proper quality control
  • Reply 47 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I have noticed the 3G has become strange since update. It works fine but there is a delay in many things working. If I start typing for example it can be several seconds before the letters appear, Once the delay is over it seems normal. I better go check I did get the latest update I maybe still using the 4.0 duh!
  • Reply 48 of 80
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

I found a solution in the comments at another site.

Go to settings/general/home button/ spotlight search. uncheck all of the options, then restart your phone.

I tried it and it worked! performance was almost back to pre iOS4 levels, even after I rechecked most of the spotlight items.

I recommend trying this before doing anything more radical.

I'm trying this on my wifes 3g

will give an update later

I did the downgrade route but major hassle rebuilding

everything and chose not to do my wifes

we need an apple solution that keeps our data

they should offer this downgrade option in the future

just to prevent this issue

I should know by this evening
  • Reply 49 of 80
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    From my wifes 3G

Typing is just fine so cross your fingers

More update later as she uses it

Thanks for the insight
  • Reply 50 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

I'm trying this on my wifes 3g

will give an update later

I did the downgrade route but major hassle rebuilding

everything and chose not to do my wifes

we need an apple solution that keeps our data

they should offer this downgrade option in the future

just to prevent this issue

I should know by this evening

Worked like magic for my 3G. fast as ever again!
  • Reply 51 of 80
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Mine too - iOS4 has made my 3G a nightmare. Very slow and mail sometimes freezes for a minute or so while trying to catchup.

Hope they fix it.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

From my wifes 3G

Typing is just fine so cross your fingers

More update later as she uses it

Thanks for the insight

My 3G has now slowed down again, so I'm going to keep the options all unchecked this time and see how it goes.

If it stays quick, I'll try adding options one at a time and see if there is a breaking point.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelab View Post

Speak for yourself. My experience is quite the opposite.

When I first upgraded to iOS4.0 on my 3G it was very slow, yes, but the upgrade to 4.0.1 fixed everything and my 3G is running as fast as it ever did, and battery life has improved significantly. Great job Apple.

I'm sorry, but there's only one word I can use to reply to that: BULLSH1T.

Really I guess after reading all the comments you are the only one that is OK with 3G and iOS 4.x

Maybe you should get in line for your white iPhone 4......oh wait they cant get the paint thickness correct??????? Or the light is leaking out of it or whatever is the latest reason that cant get the white phone out.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    ricmacricmac Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wienerdog View Post

I am absolutely livid that Apple doesn't offer a sanctioned downgrade path back to iOS3.

I also experienced the slowdown disaster - it became so bad that I missed about 70% of my incoming calls. Imagine trying to swipe the slider that is utterly unresponsive, while you see an important client calling through - repeatedly.

To make matters worse, it also killed my WiFi.

I'm in the same boat as Landnsea - I'm locked into a contract without an upgrade available in the near future.

As added salt in the wound, when I took it to the local Genius Bar, my support tech's response was simply "Wow, that's the worst I've seen yet." Yet he refused to downgrade it to iOS3. The store manager also refused to fix it, but graciously offered me a new 3G replacement - running iOS3!! wtf??!?! - for $300.

%^&$ that.

In the end, I opted for the total reset and lost ALL of my application data. The phone's performance is acceptable once more, but I'm beyond furious.

This really feels personal, because I'm a loyal Apple user with SEVEN macs - including two mac pros and 3 MBP's - between my home and business. I've literally personally converted at least 20 people into mac users over the last 15 or so years, but suffice it to say, my next phone is certainly not going to be an iPhone.

Instead, I find myself on a rabid anti-Apple crusade for the first time since using a mac in 1991. Between this shit experience and the antenna/proximity sensor issues of the new hardware, I'm waging a grass-roots campaign and warning potential buyers off of Apple's celphones. I've already convinced three people not to buy.

Clean up your act Apple. You've gone from one of the best, to going straight into the toilet.

Oh, my oh my, the drama of it all! How about you get a life!
  • Reply 55 of 80
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    I think I'm glad I did not upgrade to iOS4 after reading these posts. I tried, and the installation failed. Several posts suggested "stripping" all the applications from your phone, then installing. I didn't want to do that, and waited a few days. It obviously must depend on what you have installed on your phone as to how well it installs and runs, or possibly the settings. Since all of the "good" features weren't available, I decided not to upgrade at all. I'll probably get the iPhone 4 by the end of the year.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    belunosbelunos Posts: 23member
    I wonder why the disparity between ones that work fine and ones that work like crap. For my experience I upgraded two, mine and my wifes.. and it was just terrible. The slowness and battery life was pretty bad, but the real kicker was crashes in items like mail and safari, where before we never had any problems.

Ended up getting some 4s a couple of weeks later, but I could definitely not use that phone for much longer
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:

Really I guess after reading all the comments you are the only one that is OK with 3G and iOS 4.x

If you check the Apple Discussion Forums for the 3G you will see there are many, many 3G owners saying that 4.0.1 has fixed the slowness issue.

Quote:

Maybe you should get in line for your white iPhone 4......oh wait they cant get the paint thickness correct??????? Or the light is leaking out of it or whatever is the latest reason that cant get the white phone out.

Please explain how the problems that may or may not exist with the white iPhone 4 have anything to do with iOS 4.x on the 3G?
  • Reply 58 of 80
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    My 3G hasn't been the same since the upgrade for all the reasons listed here and then some! Not a happy camper about that issue but happy (or getting happier) to know that Apple is aware of the problem and hopefully will have a fix soon. Like my 3G to much!
  • Reply 59 of 80
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    I experienced slow down with with iOS3, iOS4 has just continued the slowness. If anything it may have actually got slightly better.

More than anything I think its probably just the age of the phone being around 2 years old. I've never really understood why computers get slower with age, even if there running the same os and you wipe them back like new, but I guess smartphones are going to be the same.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    jcraigjcraig Posts: 30member
    My 3G also became nearly unusable after "upgrading" to iOS4. I did the DFU restore as described above and for the past few days the phone has been pretty stable. Typing seems to keep up now, and apps open fairly quickly. I also haven't had a crash (hello Safari) since doing the DFU restore. You have to wonder if Apple tested this update on 3G phones being used in real world situations after seeing the myriad problems that have cropped up after its release.