After 6 weeks of "real usage," Mossberg stands by his initial verdict of the iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 145
    this is the person that compared snow leopard to windows 7? i believe i'd look for advice on a mobile phone elsewhere...
  • Reply 42 of 145
    gristangristan Posts: 25member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, WALT MOSSBERG AND HIS " WALL STREET JOURNAL TEAM ", FOR DELETING MY 2 COMMENTS POSTED ON " ALL THING DIGITAL " AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IN THE MIDNIGHT OF AMERICA, REFERRING TO " VILLAINS OF WALL STREET ( ROTHCHILDE ), YOU REVEALING YOURSELF AMERICAN BOGUSS PRESSES DOUBLE STANDARD, ONE HAND ACCUSING CHINA FOR ITS CENSORSHIP, HERE IN THE U.S. THE SITUATION IS MUCH MUCH WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 43 of 145
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

• Reply 44 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gristan View Post

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, WALT MOSSBERG AND HIS " WALL STREET JOURNAL TEAM ", FOR DELETING MY 2 COMMENTS POSTED ON " ALL THING DIGITAL " AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IN THE MIDNIGHT OF AMERICA, REFERRING TO " VILLAINS OF WALL STREET ( ROTHCHILDE ), YOU REVEALING YOURSELF AMERICAN BOGUSS PRESSES DOUBLE STANDARD, ONE HAND ACCUSING CHINA FOR ITS CENSORSHIP, HERE IN THE U.S. THE SITUATION IS MUCH MUCH WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what?
  • Reply 45 of 145
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"the best device in its class"

Guy has a point...
  • Reply 46 of 145
    Just thins morning I was testing the "death grip" on my phone. and it went down 1 bar (from 3 to 2) then about 2 seconds later went back up to 3. I have pretty good ATT signal where i live and can honestly say that it has not effected my ability to use the phone. when i am in the car the death grip doesn't even budge signal strength.

Also the proximity sensor has only messed me up once in 4 weeks and that was when i was trying to hold the phone with my shoulder so the phone was angled away from my face. so there was a big gap between the phone an my face.

anyway i love my phone and would recommend it to anyone in my area, if you have weak ATT signal where you live then I would wait for a Verizon iphone, i guess.
  • Reply 47 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

And you're one of them. Constantly at that! Get rid of your phone (if you actually own one) and go away already.

Ah, nice to wake up to your friendly comment {name-calling deleted}.

I live in an area with good ATT coverage so my iPhone 4 works. If I didn't I wouldn't buy an iPhone 4, drop calls all over the place and chug Kool Aid to convince myself there's no problem.

That's the difference between you and me. I don't "love" my iPhone like it was a miniature person. It is a tool to do a job and I expect it to work.

It was a boneheaded idea to make the iPhone completely out of glass with the antenna on the outside. I don't know how old you and the rest of the fanbois here are, but when I was a kid we got our TV reception with rabbit ear antennas. If you grabbed them with your hands the picture would change instantly.

I could have told Apple this antenna issue was going to happen, and I didn't have to go to college and become an engineer, or spend millions on a call testing facility.

Apple blundered big time on this one. And all the Kool Aid on the store shelf ain't gonna make it go away.
  • Reply 48 of 145
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, you can't look at the content behind the paywall without being a member. They do have freely available content, such as their flip-flopping blog entries on this topic. I think two things are pretty clear:

1. Consumer Reports, like most blogs and news sites that jumped on this particular bandwagon, was driven in significant part by a desire to stir up controversy and drive traffic to their site. In their case it wasn't to increase ad revenue, but traffic to their site doubtlessly drives subscriptions to the content behind their paywall. There is an obvious conflict of interest here, highlighted by their handling of the issue, that calls into question their motives. Remember, employees at non-profits don't work for free, and their compensation, just like everyone else's (unless you work on Wall St) depends on how much money their employer pulls in.

2. Consumer Reports has no idea what they are doing evaluating smartphones. Not all that surprising since I think most people have had the experience with CR that reviews of things you know about usually make no sense. (Meaning that it's likely that reviews of things you don't know about may not make sense either.)

But, the more serious problem is that, from a purely objective standpoint, this particular review process is so obviously broken. The iP4 has the highest rating of any smartphone, yet is not recommended. Now CR does a little song and dance number to try to explain this, but what exactly do their ratings mean if recommendations aren't based on them? Is this an objective process or not?

The answer is that it is obviously not an objective process. If it were, their ratings and recommendations would agree, rather than contradict. In fact, if they can't recommend the iP4 based on their ratings, then the entire rating system is meaningless. Well, you say, they found other issues with testing beyond what they look at for the ratings. But, that's exactly the point. If the ratings don't adequately reflect the factors which determine whether they can recommend something or not, then what exactly is their entire testing and rating system based on? And, if we can't trust their smartphone ratings, which of their other ratings can we trust?

The answer is obviously, none. Consumer Reports is engaged in something very like pseudo-science. They pretend they go through this rigorous and objective testing process, but this incident shows that their rating criteria are either completely arbitrary and irrelevant, or that their recommendations are based on entirely subjective factors, and the whole ratings process is nothing but smoke and mirrors. If it's a scandal and a fraud that the media are looking for, they need look no further than Consumer Reports.

I see numerous people bashing Consumer Reports since they've given Apple ONE bad review... but I haven't seen anybody come up with a BETTER way of doing things than Consumer Reports currently does. They test a wide range of devices and are pretty well respected. They were the ones that noticed the problems with the Lexus GX 460's suspensions which initiated a recall.

So if they're doing it wrong, how should they do it right?

I also find it funny that everyone was quick to praise CR when things were giving Apple good ratings, but when one bad rating comes up, it's time to pull out the Army and destroy them.

You can't have it both ways.
  • Reply 49 of 145
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Ah, nice to wake up to your friendly comment.

I live in an area with good ATT coverage so my iPhone 4 works. If I didn't I wouldn't buy an iPhone 4, drop calls all over the place and chug Kool Aid to convince myself there's no problem.

What amazes me is the fact that you are so willing to dismiss your critics as much as you percive that we are dismissing you by using the tired old canard of "kool-aid drinkers". I find it quite insulting to do that. If you have an issue with what somebody says, address it directly and factually or ignore them. Simply insulting people dismissively is not going to increase your credibility whatsoever.
  • Reply 50 of 145
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Consumer Reports - take a hint from Mossberg... It's not too late to say, "hey, turns out it's a pretty damn good phone!" of course, that wouldn't drive web traffic and press coverage.

CR said that same thing Mossberg did. They said it was the best smartphone out there, but it suffers from reception issues. The only difference is they didn't give it their "recommended" label and Mossbery only didn't recommend it for people in the weaker ATT coverage areas.

Sounds pretty similar to me. People just made a bigger deal out of the CR report.
  • Reply 51 of 145
    tttttt Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

That's because here in the U.S. we are a fickle bunch who love to hate things.

:-). That explaining everything :-)
  • Reply 52 of 145
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

1.77% return rate.

0.55% apple care calls.

majority of the iphone 4 owners are perfectly happy with their iPhone 4.

And a higher dropped call rate than previous versions, by Apple's own admission. (But I also don't think the issues is as big a deal as some make it out to be. Just a poor design decision by Apple and even poorer response to the issue.)
  • Reply 53 of 145
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

What is interesting about the part quoted below is that Mossberg's claim that the iPhone 4 is worse in areas with low signals is exactly the opposite of what Anandtech said in their review of the iPhone 4. Gruber said something similar. I am at a loss to explain the discrepancy but it is intriguing that different people have such different experiences.

Please provide reference. I can't recall that being said. And having reread their review am having trouble finding it.
  • Reply 54 of 145
    bosco08bosco08 Posts: 19member
    I have the same experience as Walt. Low signal areas equals dropped calls on iPhone 4. Which means the improved antenna is useless as the only place you need it is in bad coverage areas.
  • Reply 55 of 145
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gristan View Post

Peg you pardon. I couldn't hear what you said. Would you please be so kind and repeat your claim a little louder.
  • Reply 56 of 145
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Ah, nice to wake up to your friendly comment shithead.

Hope you are not dropping anything else all over the place.
  • Reply 57 of 145
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I personally think Apple was forced to come up with this antenna design to try to make up for AT&T's many deficiencies. They need another network yesterday.

Perhaps if America standardized its wireless protocol, Apple would have another network to go to.

But no, some U.S. wireless providers thought that they knew better and went their own way. Not, not to just follow the rest of the world, but, hey, you don't get investors willing to heavily bet on something that is already working.

It would be interesting to see what would have happened if the U.S. hadn't agreed to standardize their railway gauge.*

*http://southern.railfan.net/ties/1966/66-8/gauge.html
  • Reply 58 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

My iP4 has really sh*tty reception at home. My 3GS was ok, but I think I drop 50% if all the calls I get at home. The bars go from 0 to 5 and back again with or without a death grip.

PS: I just got my free bumper. It fits nicely and my phone still fits in my holster. We'll see if it was any effect.

i had the exact same problem in the san diego area. i would have to stand no more than a 1' away from my front or back windows to get reception. when i ordered an iphone 4 from att, i told them they need to GIVE me a microcell first - and they did, no hesitation. especially when i told them i was going to transfer my wife's vz account over.
  • Reply 59 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

What amazes me is the fact that you are so willing to dismiss your critics as much as you percive that we are dismissing you by using the tired old canard of "kool-aid drinkers". I find it quite insulting to do that. If you have an issue with what somebody says, address it directly and factually or ignore them. Simply insulting people dismissively is not going to increase your credibility whatsoever.

What about the credibility of everyone else here? You all sound like NUT JOBS to me.
  • Reply 60 of 145
    Quote:

What about the credibility of everyone else here? You all sound like NUT JOBS to me.

One thing for sure, Apple users aren't the independent thinkers they used to be in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Apple Computer truly is dead, and has been replaced by a company that no longer encourages its users to think different.