Apple investigates 3D recording of real-world places, objects

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A future iPhone could take recorded video or photos and use the information to render an object or location in 3D, allowing the user to then navigate a virtual environment.

Two new patent applications from Apple revealed this week by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office describe technology that would generate a three-dimensional model of an object or place based on a recording. Users could then navigate the 3D space "in an order other than that of the recording."

One application, entitled "Generating a Three-Dimensional Model using a Portable Electronic Device Recording," deals specifically with the recording aspect. It says that a portable device, like an iPhone, could record more than just video, and rely on other functions like motion sensing components and GPS. This would allow the software to adjust the displayed portion of a three-dimensional model to reflect the movement of the device.

"By walking with the device in the user's real environment, a user can virtually navigate representation of a three-dimensional environment," the application says. The technology sounds like a mix between augmented reality applications such as Layar, which show the world in real-time through the iPhone camera and overlay digital information on top of the picture, and navigation services like Google Maps, where Street View can allow users to view road intersections and landmarks without physically being there.

These 3D renderings could be used in software as practical as a mapping application, or something simply for fun, like a video game.

If enabled on millions of devices, this sort of 3D mapping could be uploaded over the Internet and then shared with other users, allowing a sort of "hive mind" functionality in generating comprehensive and up-to-date real-world renderings.

The accompanying application revealed this week is entitled "Three Dimensional Navigation Using Deterministic Movement of an Electronic Device." It deals with the navigation of a 3D space generated by a user's recording. Again, this application describes features similar to existing augmented reality applications, but taking it a step further by recording the information for future playback.

"By walking with the device in the user's real environment, a user can virtually navigate a representation of a three-dimensional environment," the document states. "in some embodiments, a user can record an object or environment using an electronic device, and tag the recorded images or video with movement information describing the movement of the device during the recording. The recorded information can then be processed with the movement information to generate a three-dimensional model of the recorded environment or object."

Both applications were originally filed on January 28, 2009. They are credited to Richard Tsai, Andrew Just and Brandon Harris.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I have an idea! How about a 3D antenna that holds a signal!!!
  • Reply 2 of 28
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Hey I have another, why don't you stop with the lame jokes?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Looks like Apple ripped this idea off of Adobe After Effects CS5, which can derive 3D models and scenes from video where the camera is in motion.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:

I would've laughed at that a week or two ago... Now it's gotten really old I can't even force myself to laugh. I know you're trying to be funny and I enjoyed all the antennagate jokes but it just doesn't work anymore dude.

Nice try though. I'm sure someone else will laugh with you...
  • Reply 5 of 28
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's future iPhones may offer 3D recording of places, objects

let's hope they will also offer a different antenna design
  • Reply 6 of 28
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

does ANYONE read comments before posting?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks like Apple ripped this idea off of Adobe After Effects CS5, which can derive 3D models and scenes from video where the camera is in motion.

So an application filed a year and a half ago of an idea that was clearly in development for some time prior is a ripoff of a program released just two months ago?

OH NOES! APPLE HAS A TIME MACHINE!
  • Reply 8 of 28
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

Douche
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Douche.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Motion pictures has been around for a long time too. Do you suggest that Apple/Every other video device is ripping that idea off too? Some people just love to bash. If/When Apple brings this vision to life, I can't wait to see if someone else has done it first, in the same/different execution and/or tries to copy it.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    @ Storneo

At least they know how to use multi-quote
  • Reply 12 of 28
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    There's a lot of stuff that future iPhones will do. Most are not worth talking about today.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    kwatsonkwatson Posts: 95member
    Probably a bogus patent - this has been around for ages:

http://www.optech.ca/i3dhome.htm

Very cool tech - used for forensics among other things to recreate crime scenes. Not as 'cool' as an iPhone/iPod, but it is electronic, and it is portable.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I would've laughed at that a week or two ago... Now it's gotten really old I can't even force myself to laugh. I know you're trying to be funny and I enjoyed all the antennagate jokes but it just doesn't work anymore dude.

Nice try though. I'm sure someone else will laugh with you...

FINE!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A future iPhone could take recorded video or photos and use the information to render an object or location in 3D, allowing the user to then navigate a virtual environment. ...

Personally, I'm getting really tired of hearing about these whiz-bang futuristic patents from Apple. They never implement them, so why bother even getting excited?

It was especially disappointing after that strong run of absolutely fantastic patents they came out with when they were inventing the iPhone/iPad, to have it then turn out that Apple used absolutely *none* of those patents in the resulting devices! Argh!!! Need I mention the now five or ten year old patent about using an LCD screen as a camera that pops up with great regularity on sites like this?

This is another perfect example. There is no way this patent will be implemented for five or ten years at the soonest. It probably won't be implemented at all. Why bother with this junk? It's all pretty much just reprinted or stolen from this site anyway:

Patently Apple

If I'm feeling particularly masochistic I can always go there. This has absolutely nothing to do with Apple's current or near future products.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wish they just get to the Holodeck patent already!
  • Reply 17 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Personally, I'm getting really tired of hearing about these whiz-bang futuristic patents from Apple. They never implement them, so why bother even getting excited?

It was especially disappointing after that strong run of absolutely fantastic patents they came out with when they were inventing the iPhone/iPad, to have it then turn out that Apple used absolutely *none* of those patents in the resulting devices! Argh!!! Need I mention the now five or ten year old patent about using an LCD screen as a camera that pops up with great regularity on sites like this?

This is another perfect example. There is no way this patent will be implemented for five or ten years at the soonest. It probably won't be implemented at all. Why bother with this junk? It's all pretty much just reprinted or stolen from this site anyway:

Patently Apple

If I'm feeling particularly masochistic I can always go there. This has absolutely nothing to do with Apple's current or near future products.

Not totally true. If you check back over the years many have materialized in one shape or another. I recall the new trackpad for example..
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not totally true. If you check back over the years many have materialized in one shape or another. I recall the new trackpad for example..

I generalised for certain, but all the really cool futuristic ones like this never materialise at all in my experience. Something about a new kind of process for machining aluminium might, but then those are not the interesting ones.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Umm, this is already implemented on the Droid Incredible, sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

It is however, a great step towards augmented reality.

Ken
  • Reply 20 of 28
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwatson View Post

Probably a bogus patent - this has been around for ages:

http://www.optech.ca/i3dhome.htm

Very cool tech - used for forensics among other things to recreate crime scenes. Not as 'cool' as an iPhone/iPod, but it is electronic, and it is portable.

There are a lot of apps/products in this overall space:

- Videopano: an iPhone app that allows you to put your iPhone in video mode and spin around to create panos

- RealPlaces: lets people create their own 3d walk-around places from still images (low-tech, but cool)

- Photosynth: microsoft's web toy that pieces together images from the web (also in hive-mind) to generate a cute semi-3d-ish space (higher-tech, but you don't have any control over the end product).

And there are tons more, but none of this means this patent app is bogus. If it embodies something new and unique on top of what already exists, they can add it to their huge portfolio.