Apple seeks engineer for 'revolutionary' new Mac OS X feature

Comments

• Reply 21 of 165
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Apple probably used the word "revolutionary" 3 times when they advertise for janitors. You are reading way too much into it.

-kpluck
  • Reply 22 of 165
    For those who mentioned it... the idea of a fully touchscreen version of OS X seems kind of dumb to me. Call me old fashioned, but the idea of reaching out with my arm all day and touching a screen doesn't seem efficient to me.

I can kind of see it on laptops I guess, but even then it would just seem like a novelty feature (probably an expensive one at that). You need to be able to type with a keyboard to do real work, and if you're going to have a keyboard, you might as well have a trackpad, and if you have both of those, why use a touchscreen?

Unless they completely change the UI in every way, I can't see how the current UI of OS X would handle touchscreen controls in any elegant fashion.

I'll just use my mouse/trackpad and keyboard....
  • Reply 23 of 165
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    This is obviously going to be for OSX 10.8, not 10.7. There is not enough time to revolutionize the OS at the state they are at now. I'm guessing this is their 3D interface that will be OS 11, renamed something else entirely. It will use touch and gestures for interaction and will bring about a completely new UI (UX) that will be the next paradigm shift in computing.

Can't wait.
  • Reply 24 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treestman View Post

I mean, they haven't even hired the guy, and we're already close to a year removed from 10.6.

Or maybe the feature in question is well along in development, and now by plan, staff turnover or sudden realization, they need to add another person to the team? Assumptions here are sometimes simplistic to the point of retardation. Sheesh.

Gordon
  • Reply 25 of 165
    shaggyshaggy Posts: 42member
    No more dashboard, but rather desktop widgets that are... wait for it..... iOS apps!

Yay! Win for App store and devs, they can reach out to a whole new corner of the market with existing software.
  • Reply 26 of 165
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Jensonb is on the right track I think. At first blush, yeah, touch integration. But when reading what the qualifications need to be, it has to be something different.

It might be the whole adverts in the OS thing.

That occurred to me, but I really don't see Apple reversing their whole 'premium user experience" business model so that they can make a bucks from ads.

I think it ties in with their new data centre.
  • Reply 27 of 165
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    A seamless, automatic way of keeping documents synced between Mac and iPad, maybe?
  • Reply 28 of 165
    My bet is Apple wants to move to a multi-layered file system which integrates flash storage, local hard disk storage, and network storage all in the file system.

Basically, writes to the file system will first be written to flash storage and then later, copied to hard disk storage which would be mirrored to the cloud (network storage).

This would allow you to "log into" your data on any Mac connected to the cloud, but having the local flash and hard disks will "cache" the data for very fast local operation.

This would be the first OS where all data is stored in the cloud.
  • Reply 29 of 165
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomas Gilling View Post

Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?

That worked out so well for them.
  • Reply 30 of 165
    I would like to see the revolutionary feature be the removal of the lag when you adjust the volume!

My first Mac was a Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz and now it's the latest MacBook Pro Core i7 2.66Ghz and the same amount of lag on adjusting volume exists (not every time, but often).
  • Reply 31 of 165
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KT Walrus View Post

My bet is Apple wants to move to a multi-layered file system which integrates flash storage, local hard disk storage, and network storage all in the file system.

Basically, writes to the file system will first be written to flash storage and then later, copied to hard disk storage which would be mirrored to the cloud (network storage).

This would allow you to "log into" your data on any Mac connected to the cloud, but having the local flash and hard disks will "cache" the data for very fast local operation.

That would take an insane amount of time for file transfers to the cloud. Cool idea though.
  • Reply 32 of 165
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treestman View Post

I mean, they haven't even hired the guy, and we're already close to a year removed from 10.6.

I imagine more than one person will be working on it and work has begun, they just need more staff.
  • Reply 33 of 165
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

How do you merge all these into one congruent user experience?

Mac OSX 10.7 - Lion. Hear it roar!

Would love it if that was the slogan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The listing seeks a software engineer that has experience with developing Internet technologies and services, and also says that an 'exceptional candidate" would have experience with HTTP protocol and the architecture of large Web scale systems.

Makes me think iChat with Face Time, which would be nice but disappointing.

Touch I can't see happening, I think they'd rather see touch on computers fail than end up copying a big feature from Windows 7.
  • Reply 34 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

New antenna that shorts out when you touch it? lol

I hope you didn't just register to post that.
  • Reply 35 of 165
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Well, if they haven't even started on the feature yet then I guess we're out of luck seeing 10.7 before next fall.
  • Reply 36 of 165
    After all, Apple's ginormous, billion dollar, S.Carolina server farm is coming online over the next year, that would fit the timeframe.

OS X Cloud Cat
  • Reply 37 of 165
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    While that would be awesome, never gonna happen. Most people don't have the bandwidth to support it and broadband companies that have caps wouldn't allow it. A law would have to be passed requiring broadband companies to give everyone unlimited bandwidth.

Quote:

• Reply 38 of 165
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:

Not sure I get the whole flash storage and local hard disk storage bit, but basically your saying the file system would sync. In which case been availiable for a while from Microsoft https://www.mesh.com/welcome/default.aspx (pic on the homepage sums it up), and I'm fairly certain they wernt the first.
  • Reply 39 of 165
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

... This would allow you to "log into" your data on any Mac connected to the cloud, but having the local flash and hard disks will "cache" the data for very fast local operation...

Exactly what I'm thinking. And this would make audio and video rental/purchase transparent. Buy a movie, it shows up in your iTunes' "Purchased" page, and you can watch it. Objects like movie and music files could be remote-only. No need to download a copy to your local disk, which would take up space even though it might only be rarely watched, then have it get backed up by Time Machine, and be forced to copy it to a new Mac when you upgrade. It's still your copy, but you watch it through the cloud.

Cloud storage, as everyone keeps saying, would also reduce storage requirements on your local device, whether it's a desktop, laptop, or handheld. This brings down cost and complexity over time. And 10 years from now, Apple's profit center might need to shift from hardware to software and services (and yes, iAd). Hardware costs and margins are relentlessly dropping. It's the nature of the industry. By setting up a cloud-centric OS and device ecosystem, Apple is preparing itself for that future.
  • Reply 40 of 165
    deletedelete Posts: 48member
    Maybe they're going to put back in the option of defining custom label colors in the FInder. Revolutionary.