Norway's largest paper: iPhone 4 Antennagate is a US problem

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    This little 'proclamation' is all good and well, but given that it clearly states that, "Apple will launch the new iPhone 4 in Norway tomorrow", I find the timing rather interesting (to say the least).

Suggestion: Wait and see actual user/consumer reactions to the device before placing too much credence on publications that might possibly have an 'agenda' -
  • Reply 22 of 74
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    "The paper suggested poor mobile networks may be the cause of the US reports of iPhone 4 antenna problems."

'Nuff said.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    And the specific nature of this US problem: “believing things to be true not because of evidence and reason, but merely because of emotion, dogma, tradition, authority or self-interest.”

(Sadly the US does not have a monopoly on this problem. But is wildly popular here!)
  • Reply 24 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Just what i have been saying all along.

Very advanced nation Norway. As are all our Scandinavian brethren.

With the exception of Ireland no single country contributed a larger percentage of its population to the United States than Norway.

Marilyn Monroe one of the more famous names which springs to mind.

Ever seen Fargo? (Cohen Bros?)
  • Reply 25 of 74
    0yvind0yvind Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

This little 'proclamation' is all good and well, but given that it clearly states that, "Apple will launch the new iPhone 4 in Norway tomorrow", I find the timing rather interesting (to say the least).

Suggestion: Wait and see actual user/consumer reactions to the device before placing too much credence on publications that might possibly have an 'agenda' -

The only "agenda" here is that when something great happens, it's considered "news" - guess that's what newspapers live for? Anyway, thousands have already bought the newest iPhone here - they buy it in Germany or UK on holiday (it's only an hour by plane).

I also think many are fed up with their old Nokias. Even if a new iPhone dropped every 10th call I'd be satisfied: My 2 year old Nokia (with the crappy '90ies UI) smartphone drops one out of 4 calls in my own flat, although it shows 7 bars. Maybe I only hold it the wrong way...
  • Reply 26 of 74
    I would agree that it is more than the antenna, it has to do with the quality of the network. Recently on holidays in spain, I was roaming onto different networks. With the original 4.0 firmware, on the MoviStar network I was typically at 5 bars in the apartment then just holding the iPhone "incorrectly" I would fall immediately to "no service", simply switching to Orange or Vodafone I would typically get 2-3 bars and no matter how I held the phone on both these network the signal would just fluctuate sometimes even going up to 4 bars.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Why do I believe this?
  • Reply 28 of 74
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    The Norwegian paper confirms what I already knew from experience in regards to the iPhone 4.

Many consumers and pundits complain that the new iPhone doesn't handle calls very well, and the paper confirms that too. They say "the primary reason you have a phone is to make calls." Well not me. Calls are ancillary to me, I'd rather communicate via e-mails, check the web, take photos, etc.

So besides integrating with iTunes and my Mac so smoothly, the iPhone 4 is for me.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    infobhaninfobhan Posts: 14member
    Could this have something to do with different frequencies being used by the carriers in different countries? Maybe the effects of detuning from antenna bridging are greater with some frequencies compared to others?
  • Reply 30 of 74
    rsmrsm Posts: 15member
    Norway = Much more technologically advanced/up to date than the US.

Norwegians = Much smarter than Americans
  • Reply 31 of 74
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I don't believe that they have zero issues. I am sure they get the same problem, but since the bars have been "recalculated", that could be helping the perception of less signal attentuation.

I do believe some of the blame is on AT&T, but Apple is most certainly not in the clear.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    Hmm... it's the network eh? That's why my iPhone 3G works flawlessly and my iPhone 4's data would come to a screeching halt when touching the black line on the bottom left? I'm not talking about cupping my whole hand around the phone... I'm talking about lightly putting my finger on the black mark.

Yeah... must be a network problem. AT&T must not be set up for external antennas yet.

Sheesh!
  • Reply 33 of 74
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member
    I second this. I wasn't able to reproduce the problem on six different iPhone 4s (my own, from a few friends, in a T-Mobile store and at an Apple retailer) at all here in Germany, all iPhones running either on T-Mobile, BASE or O2. Tried to grip the phone really tight, also covered the lower left corner with my finger - NOTHING. Also, out of around 20 German tech magazines that tested this, only one was able to reproduce the problem.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    4.01 brought increased volatility to the number of bars. They now pop up and disappear very quickly on their own. This masquerades to the extent ``real' ' signal drops, when the seam is bridged with palms. If the update were ready by the phone launch date, ``masses' ' wouldn't notice anything.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    7aces7aces Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rsm View Post

Norway = Much more technologically advanced/up to date than the US.

Well, as a Norwegian, I could still say that's debatable. But as far as Internet and telecoms go, our systems are generally top of the line.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rsm View Post

Norwegians = Much smarter than Americans

Not gonna argue with you on that one though
  • Reply 36 of 74
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    I love my iPhone since I got the first one in 2007. But I hate AT&T for keeping us hostage.

It is a known fact that US mobile carriers are always behind in everything. Internet is slow in US compared to other countries. If it was not for Apple, there will be no company in US to compete with Asians and Europeans in Mobile phone technology.

Americans are deceived into believing we are the best. The fact is that we are not. Only in America are mobile phone users charged at both ends of a phone call. In other countries, the originator of a call gets charged.

Americans are suckers to the media, which are just propaganda vehicle for corporations and the ruling elite. Yes, Norwegians are smarter. They are smart enough to provide free education and free healthcare. These alone say it all.

America is only best at war and destruction.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    That's what we've been thinking in Europe all along. It's not the first time we here about issues with the iPhone reception every single model. Issues we don't seem to have over here.

Glad I believed Jobs and have mine on order and picking it up in about 8 hours. Can't wait to get the best smartphone out there on the best networks of the world!

I'm from Belgium btw!
  • Reply 38 of 74
    ojalaojala Posts: 18member
    Kind of true..

I used a finnish GSM network, and eventually got rid of the iPhone 4 as I didn't consider it good enough. I used it both 900 Mhz (rural) and 2100 Ghz (city) 3G networks, I was getting 2+ Mbit/s in rural areas and 5+ Mbit/s in the city, pretty good networks.

I didn't need any explicit death grip, just a normal loose grip (left hand) on the phone did the trick and it went from 3G all the way down to GSM. Did it drop calls? No. Did it affect voice quality? Yes, some folks complained that it sounded I was in bad reception area. Did it affect data speed? Yes, especially if I was surfing with the phone in my hand like I had held the previous iPhones.

I don't think the problem effects everyone, the reception, hands, how people hold their phones, etc are different. Some people just don't care if the data speed drops from 5+ to 1 Mbit/s. A lot of people use cases and bumpers. Do other phones have similar issues? Not exactly as you can't touch their antennas but your hand will always effect the reception.

I do expect Apple to introduce a better model later, I don't think they will continue to offer free cases forever. I got a cheap Nokia C5 until it arrives and while it's a crappy smart phone, the voice quality and reception is definetly better than iPhone 4. That's one of the very few areas where Nokia and the traditional manufacturers still shine.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

With the exception of Ireland no single country contributed a larger percentage of its population to the United States than Norway.

Yes indeed, I'm a 2nd generation 100% Norwegian. I can't say that about my daughters though. They are half Chinese. I've thought about moving to Norway as they are very advanced in the areas of oil drilling and refinery, forestry, and fish farming. I haven't been back there since 1990 but plan to go back soon.

Their roadways are amazing with some automobile tunnels through mountains that are over 23km long. Its a beautiful country and reminds me of the Pacific Northwest.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Don't forget the natives.