Comments

• Reply 21 of 188
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Ballmer is such a putz!
  • Reply 22 of 188
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Here is a very thoughtful article on Balmer/MS from today's WSJ...

It's rather short as far as WSJ articles go (good news for some on this board), very informative and I would really recommend it.

Plus, the 'monkey boy' insults are somewhat sophomoric and very tiresome!

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...TEyNDkyWj.html

This article will be available to non-subscribers of the Online Journal for up to seven days.

Would be interested in what you guys and gals think of it! It's not very complementary either. Seems to say MS should stick to Windows OS, Office and Xbox. ...

Seems kind of a boring regular sort of article. I've seen about a half dozen over the last month or so that say essentially the same thing.

It also doesn't seem very uncomplimentary to me. Balmer is a colossal fool and any article that doesn't paint him as such is missing the point and being too kind.

I find the criticism related to dividends kind of off also. Almost no tech company *except* for Microsoft gives dividends anymore and most serious players in the market who are on top of things realise that dividends in general are something that just makes no sense anymore. Suggesting that Microsoft (or any company) should give out dividends as some kind of solution seems silly to me. It will just bleed them dry faster and has literally nothing to do with the health or proper operation of a company.
  • Reply 23 of 188
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Microsoft is finally showing some respect to Apple. How about that?

I would say Microsoft respects the heck out of Apple, but that Ballmer is scared to death of them (and Google) at the same time. No matter what he says, he knows once Windows and Office become expendable and cloud computing really takes off (not for quite a few more years, though), that this once "greatest company in the world" will no longer exist. Microsoft needs new management, and fast.
  • Reply 24 of 188
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Man, I bet that stings...
  • Reply 25 of 188
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

...he knows once Windows and Office become expendable and cloud computing really takes off (not for quite a few more years, though), that this once "greatest company in the world" will no longer exist.

Yah. And once gas pumps also go the way of the dodo bird... due to peak oil... they're really screwed!!! LOL.
  • Reply 26 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Shut up Mr Ballmer, and admit you have no clue about anything except numbers.

I think you meant Excel, cuz I don't believe he owns a Mac to run Numbers...
  • Reply 27 of 188
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Maybe the DOJ should investigate MS for their anti-competitive practices when dealing with netbook OEMs. They strong-armed Linux off of the OEM netbooks. Windows 7 Starter runs awful on a netbook. I have a Dell Mini 10 from last November. I'm trying to sell that POC.
  • Reply 28 of 188
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Looks to me that Microsoft is trying to do to cheap PCs what Adobe did to the Apple laserwriter; not responding to falling HW prices making the SW part of the price ridiculous.
  • Reply 29 of 188
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjm1863 View Post

Maybe Microsloth should ask some Apple users to help his staff at their meetings set up the iPads, so his staff can work????

MICROSLOTH! I have never heard/read this before. Well played, sir.
  • Reply 30 of 188
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Yah. And once gas pumps also go the way of the dodo bird... due to peak oil... they're really screwed!!! LOL.

LOL, I guess we know the oil companies aren't the only ones lobbying to get rid of electric cars.
  • Reply 31 of 188
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Imagine if Ballmer/Microsoft went incommunicado and emerged 6 months later with a kickass product.

Imagine if they didn't comment on unannounced products.

Imagine if they didn't cozy up with partners on stage to show products they might or might not make within 83 years.

Imagine if they simply released stuff when it was done and ready to go, and then let the product speak for itself.

(flick your lighters on)

Imagine all the people...
  • Reply 32 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Seems kind of a boring regular sort of article. I've seen about a half dozen over the last month or so that say essentially the same thing.

It also doesn't seem very uncomplimentary to me. Balmer is a colossal fool and any article that doesn't paint him as such is missing the point and being too kind.

I find the criticism related to dividends kind of off also. Almost no tech company *except* for Microsoft gives dividends anymore and most serious players in the market who are on top of things realise that dividends in general are something that just makes no sense anymore. Suggesting that Microsoft (or any company) should give out dividends as some kind of solution seems silly to me. It will just bleed them dry faster and has literally nothing to do with the health or proper operation of a company.

What a bilious response...
  • Reply 33 of 188
    bosco08bosco08 Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Ballmer says:

Yoda says:

Do, or do not. There IS no try!

Best reply EVER!
  • Reply 34 of 188
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    One thing I have never forgiven Microsoft for is abandoning their cordless phone. When they finally got the software right and computing power had caught up to the demands of the software the mother frakkers discontinued it. Morons.

I think that Baller understands business needs and how to sell them Windows and office products.

What he does not understand is a consumer product (non nerdien) like the ipad. To him if it doesn't run my sql then it is not a worthy tool. It's one reason why Windows C.E., Win Mo Blows etc are just not very good.

Almost every other product outside of their core competency is either a rushed me too development or something that is to far ahead of current hardware e.g surface. Bloated software that has little chance of running on any real world hardware outside of Microsofts labs.

I don't think the way they develop products will ever allow them to release something as refined and user friendly as the ipad.

The only new product to successfully reach out to new customers (imho) is the x-box. Yes they have lost a ton of money but they are successfully getting major mindshare with teenagers and young adults.
  • Reply 35 of 188
    Remarkable, just remarkable.

Ballmer has absolutely no clue how the iPad happened. Love it or hate it, iPad is the culmination of leveraged technologies dating back to NeXT. Mac OS X, iMac, iPod, Front Row, and of course iPhone all had a part in it. Ballmer IS completely lost if he thinks a "Job One" crash program will produce a serious competitor.

Anyway, a death-marched "Windows 7 Tablet" should bring some good yucks when it finally shows up.
  • Reply 36 of 188
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Conversely... as the rather content owner/user of an Apple iPad 64/WiFi+3g, I can honestly say that it's really just an enlarged, overpriced iPod Touch lacking the convenience of being pocketable.

And, as a rather content(ed) owner/user of an Apple iPad with 64/Wigi+3G, I can honestly say that you are lying, just so that you can make another anti-Apple point.

Tiresome, man. Give it up.
  • Reply 37 of 188
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Gas pumps.... that is a scary thought.
  • Reply 38 of 188
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Ha! Take that Steve Ballmer.

I lost interest in Netbooks when manufacturers starting using Windows. Had they stayed on the Linux path, I would have one already. Instead two years later, I have an iPad now.
  • Reply 39 of 188
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Maybe the DOJ should investigate MS for their anti-competitive practices when dealing with netbook OEMs. They strong-armed Linux off of the OEM netbooks. Windows 7 Starter runs awful on a netbook. I have a Dell Mini 10 from last November. I'm trying to sell that POC.

Not to mention how "Windows is everywhere. It's in gas pumps, lights controlling stadiums, etc."
  • Reply 40 of 188
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Deleted - responded to the wrong poster