Review: Apple's aluminum Mac mini and Mac mini Server (2010)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    gurnxgurnx Posts: 1member
    Agreed; however, a macbook isn't a viable server candidate. I'm a new mac user (white macbook) and just purchased a Mac Mini server via Apple Business. It's intended purpose is to act as a data repository for PC-based data for use from the macbook for report generation, as a media center during off-hours, a time-machine host, and a web server. I've been looking for an easy-to-setup-and-admin server for awhile and the mini-server bundle seems to present significant value. If I'm wrong the purchase can be returned within 14 days for refund. My current file/timemachine/media server is a World Book 'white' 4TB box. While a good value for raw storage it's not the easiest web-server to setup/maintain/manage. The server edition of the Mini comes with 2 500GB 7200RPM drives, a feature which no macbook directly supports.
  • Reply 62 of 87
    yuhongyuhong Posts: 2member
    "note that the new twist off bottom means the Mac mini's RAM is easy to steal."

And don't forget that you can reset the firmware password this way.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The price I have to pay for good British beer is higher than you pay, too. The difference is that I'm not running around whining about it.

Why are you being so rude? The guy has a legitimate gripe and expressed it without being insulting or putting the product down. He is not whining (as you put it) or telling Apple to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Why don't you just take a step back and realize how much you sounding like an A$$!
  • Reply 64 of 87
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:

As soon as you can provide evidence that your marketing and management abilities are better than Apple's, then I'll listen. As it is, you're making the same silly comments that whiners have made for years - almost always without the least understanding of Apple's business model.

Did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning or are you always acting like the world's biggest douchebag? Is it such a big deal that you have to blast anyone who doesn't think like you do. Maybe you should follow the old Apple slogan and just "Think Different".
  • Reply 65 of 87
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I decided to come here and check out opinions about the new Mini and I come across a bunch of obnoxious assclowns:

Quote:

Then don't buy one. It's that simple.

Obviously, there are enough people who think it's an OK deal for Apple to keep making them. The fact that you think it's too expensive just doesn't matter.

You see, here's the way it works: Apple sets a price. If enough people buy it, Apple is happy. If not enough people buy it, Apple has to lower the price, change the configuration, or drop the product. "It's too expensive" whining has no place in that process.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartBuzz View Post

Like he said...don't buy it.

Quote:

The price I have to pay for good British beer is higher than you pay, too. The difference is that I'm not running around whining about it.

Quote:

It could be any number of things:

Shipping (distance is not the sole determinant of shipping costs)

Costs of doing business (UK is a very expensive place to do business)

Costs of complying with local regulations (UK and Europe have some very strict regulations that must be complied with)

Volume

Or simply market pricing - the correct price is that which maximizes profits

Bottom line is that you don't have any idea what it costs to do business in the UK (I have done so - and it's far more than doing business in the U.S.), but it's really irrelevant. The price is what it is - you either buy or don't buy based on whether it's worth it to you. It's not your role to determine what price Apple should put on their products - unless you become CEO of Apple.

• Reply 66 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Did my question sound like a challenge? Didn't intend it to be. Just was curious if others had specific inside info on Apple pricing policies.

No need to apologize or explain anything to those jerks. your questions and comments were completely valid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Everytime I look at that design I can?t help but think that they didn?t mill that case just for the Mac Mini, that they will using that footprint with a specialized black plastic backing for other devices in the future.

I'm sure they will use it for the Apple TV also.

I don't see the need for the new case, making it lower just makes it harder to access the DVD Drive slot, especially if the Mini is in front of your mousepad. They could have used the development bucks to make the innards more like an iMac and give the Mini more value, IMO.

If they were going to increase the price at least use more advanced chips.
  • Reply 67 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

Why are you being so rude? The guy has a legitimate gripe and expressed it without being insulting or putting the product down. He is not whining (as you put it) or telling Apple to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Why don't you just take a step back and realize how much you sounding like an A$$!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

Did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning or are you always acting like the world's biggest douchebag? Is it such a big deal that you have to blast anyone who doesn't think like you do. Maybe you should follow the old Apple slogan and just "Think Different".

Amen, brother.

This guy has his head so far up Jobs' ass he can't see daylight
  • Reply 68 of 87
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    I actually really like the new Mini. I caved and finally got one as I got a good deal that brought the UK price in line with the US price. Like I say, the UK price is £100 too much. At £550 ($730 without tax vs $700 in the US), this machine is a great buy and gives you room to upgrade the RAM to 4GB.

I would have liked the hard drive to have been easier to replace - this time you need to use torx (6 and 10) screwdrivers to get to it and apparently there isn't much glue on the thermal sensor unlike last time. Anyway, I benchmarked the 5400RPM drive in it vs the 7200RPM in my old one and there really wasn't a great deal of difference so I didn't bother upgrading mine. In some areas, it's 25-30% faster but direct file writes came out the same and the 7200RPM was noisier.

In terms of everyday use, I don't actually notice the difference between my old 7200 RPM and the new 5400 RPM. Bootups and application launch times are quick. Snow Leopard is one snappy OS. Maybe when SSDs become affordable I'll give it a go.

Graphics performance is impressive under Windows. It plays the high end games on medium quality as I expected and they play at very smooth framerates. Crysis you have to set to medium without anti-aliasing but it still looks great and the machine makes absolutely no noise whatsoever while playing it for hours despite very smooth FPS and it doesn't get excessively hot.

The HDMI to DVI adaptor is much better than Mini-DVI as it sits more firmly in the slot as does the power supply. The power cable is a little shorter but it's a standard plug so you can pick up a longer one cheap:

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/...cat=175&page=1

It's so much nicer not having an external PSU. The boxed weight of the machine is much lower - it's about 1.5kg vs 3kg for the old one. The box is half the width and the machine is half the height too. This makes accessing the USB ports much easier than before as you had to fumble down past the fan vents. Plugging things in from the front is really easy now.

I miss the extra USB port for the SD slot I don't use but it's not a huge deal. 4 USB ports is ok.

The new Mini also greatly improves sound quality. Old ones were so quiet you could barely hear them at maximum volume. It's not quite iMac quality but certainly much better than before.

The optical drive mechanism is much quieter too. You don't get the loud drive head slamming into everything before it starts reading the disc. Some types of disc still make the usual buzzing but most discs spin far more quietly.

Wifi performance seems to be improved too.

I'm a little disappointed by the Core 2 Duo chips. The P8600 is the same price as the entry Core i5 but the i5 is 50% faster. It's unlikely you'd be doing much raw encoding on these things anyway but 50% would have boosted the odd video render by a decent amount.

There's still the chance they can accelerate this using the GPU though eventually and I'm happier that Apple opted for a fast GPU with a Core 2 Duo than an i5 with Intel HD graphics.

If you live in the US, I would highly recommend this machine at this price. It may still seem a bit pricey if you buy it for a media centre but think of it like a computer that will easily handle most tasks, a great console alternative, a very quiet and power efficient media centre (despite the lack of Blu-Ray - you can get USB BDR drives or a cheap player anyway) all wrapped up in a very attractive little aluminium case.

When I see the Mini developing like this, I know that this box has a great future and mark my words, it will win out over the iMac one day because there is no way that Apple can sell an iMac that allows you to hook it up to your TV, projector, Cinema display and so on in any feasible way. Versatility will always be more cost-effective and suitable for a variety of people.

This is the kind of upgrade that I wanted to see in the Mac Pro. It clearly shows they've put a lot of thought into improving pretty much every aspect of the machine to make it excel in its class. With an easily accessible HDD like the original Macbooks, newer 4 thread CPUs, USB 3, this machine would get a 5/5 rating so perhaps next year's model will get there. AMD Fusion would allow a quad core with a Radeon 5000 series GPU and they are supporting USB 3 in 2011 so it's a definite possibility.

For now, the Mini is a very solid 4/5 but a highly recommended purchase if you get it at a good price.
  • Reply 69 of 87
    Thanks for the review.

I have had my Mini for less than a year but I may upgrade if they get a better Chip inside of it. Youtube videos keep stuttering on me which is ridiculous for such a new machine, unless it's something in the OS that is causing this.
  • Reply 70 of 87
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I want a Mac Mini whose specs match the low-end iMac (sans screen), instead of the low-end MacBook (sans screen). Why is that too much to ask? It is a desktop computer after all, and doesn't need to be so mini.
  • Reply 71 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

Thanks for the review.

I have had my Mini for less than a year but I may upgrade if they get a better Chip inside of it. Youtube videos keep stuttering on me which is ridiculous for such a new machine, unless it's something in the OS that is causing this.

A year old Mini should not have any YouTube stuttering unless there is another issue going on. Have you checked your disk, monitored you processes, installed all the Mac updates, installed the latest Flash with HW acceleration and restarted?
  • Reply 72 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

I want a Mac Mini whose specs match the low-end iMac (sans screen), instead of the low-end MacBook (sans screen). Why is that too much to ask? It is a desktop computer after all, and doesn't need to be so mini.

That's exactly what I want and what the Mini should be-a headless iMac

Quote:

A year old Mini should not have any YouTube stuttering unless there is another issue going on. Have you checked your disk, monitored you processes, installed all the Mac updates, installed the latest Flash with HW acceleration and restarted?

Everything is up to date and I checked my hard drive and components with software. As far as I know Flash is the latest version also.
  • Reply 73 of 87
    Quote:

It's not too much to ask, but it is too much to expect it simply because you asked.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

Everything is up to date and I checked my hard drive and components with software. As far as I know Flash is the latest version also.

Something isn't right and it's because your machine is obsolete. Things you've stated concern me. You've stated no specifics an don't sem to have attempted to resovle the issue. Like that you don't know if Flash is updated and which types of videos from YouTube are affected. Id est, 360p or just 720p or higher; HTML5 video or just Flash; and if this happens with other Flash video sites.

Two possibilities: HW (which can be blocked fans to bad components), SW (which can be a wonky OS/app install to something you did that you shouldn't).

This can be resolved but MacOSXHints.com is an ideal site for such issuea but be prepared to have details.
  • Reply 74 of 87
    Quote:

It's not too much to ask, but it is too much to expect it simply because you asked.

Something isn't right and it's because your machine is obsolete. Things you've stated concern me. You've stated no specifics an don't sem to have attempted to resovle the issue. Like that you don't know if Flash is updated and which types of videos from YouTube are affected. Id est, 360p or just 720p or higher; HTML5 video or just Flash; and if this happens with other Flash video sites.

Two possibilities: HW (which can be blocked fans to bad components), SW (which can be a wonky OS/app install to something you did that you shouldn't).

This can be resolved but MacOSXHints.com is an ideal site for such issuea but be prepared to have details.

I did attempt to resolve the issue. I ran diagnostics and techtool pro, both of which show no issues. I ran YASU which performed all needed maintenance, and checked to make sure everything is up to date, which it is.

It is possible that some installed app is causing it and I deleted some newer installations with no luck. I had adblocker extension installed on safari but turned off ad blocking on youtube with no luck. I tried using Firefox instead but same thing.

I would think this Mini should be handle anything on youtube, I have the fastest model with 4Gb RAM. I guess I will have to keep searching for clues. I will try that website also.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    Quote:

I don't think I'm the only one asking for a headless desktop offering instead of a headless laptop offering. How Apple concluded that a small footprint was the number one feature people wanted from a desktop computer probably has more to do with what Steve Jobs wants than what customers want. Similar to how Steve Jobs doesn't want blu-ray, so he doesn't think the option should be available to anyone else, either.

If they built the Mac Mini as a rectangle slab instead of a square slab, they could stuff it with iMac guts instead of MacBook guts. And the world would be a better place.
  • Reply 76 of 87
    Quote:

I don't think I'm the only one asking for a headless desktop offering instead of a headless laptop offering. How Apple concluded that a small footprint was the number one feature people wanted from a desktop computer probably has more to do with what Steve Jobs wants than what customers want. Similar to how Steve Jobs doesn't want blu-ray, so he doesn't think the option should be available to anyone else, either.

If they built the Mac Mini as a rectangle slab instead of a square slab, they could stuff it with iMac guts instead of MacBook guts. And the world would be a better place.

1) You're not the only one asking, but that still doesnt mean Apple thinks it's a viable option for them, nor a requirement for them to make an xMac.

2) If everything at Apple is simply Steve's whim then he's more in touch with the people than anyone else at any other tech company considering their successes, growth rate and market cap. But that is also saying that Steve has no interest in growing Apple as much as possible, that it's just a company to fulfill his whims. I wouldn't take those odds.

3) Apple isn't going Blu-ray for many reasons, but even now in the 2nd half of 2010 it would still cost over $500 for a Blu-ray drive for nearly all Macs. And, no, Steve is not preventing anyone from using Blu-ray. There are many vendors that use and sell them.

4) Sure, make the case bigger and you an add more stuff. I'd love to have a new Cube with desktop components, but that isn't what they want to do so why force the issue. Either buy the one that beat suits your needs, buy from a competitor if they better suit your needs or make your own. There are no other viable options.

5) Pedantically speaking, squares are rectangles.
  • Reply 77 of 87
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:

When you go from mobile chips to desktop chips, the part sizes go up a fair bit though. The iMac PSU is shown near the end of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpMw9etHXGM

Check out the motherboard size too. Then you need bigger fans to keep it cool and run them faster so you need to do more work to the enclosure to keep it quiet.

I'd love an i3/i5 Cube but it would likely be this size:

http://www.avadirect.com/product_det...asp?PRID=15615

I reckon Apple would make it look nice but at this point in time, it's going to be short-lived. Quad cores will hit the low end in the next 6-18 months with GPUs that will play Crysis on high quality and 1TB drives. There will still be the need for as much processing power as possible for some types of content creation but the quad core entry level will soon be as fast as an old quad Mac Pro.
  • Reply 78 of 87
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:

1) You're not the only one asking, but that still doesnt mean Apple thinks it's a viable option for them, nor a requirement for them to make an xMac.

2) If everything at Apple is simply Steve's whim then he's more in touch with the people than anyone else at any other tech company considering their successes, growth rate and market cap. But that is also saying that Steve has no interest in growing Apple as much as possible, that it's just a company to fulfill his whims. I wouldn't take those odds.

3) Apple isn't going Blu-ray for many reasons, but even now in the 2nd half of 2010 it would still cost over $500 for a Blu-ray drive for nearly all Macs. And, no, Steve is not preventing anyone from using Blu-ray. There are many vendors that use and sell them.

4) Sure, make the case bigger and you an add more stuff. I'd love to have a new Cube with desktop components, but that isn't what they want to do so why force the issue. Either buy the one that beat suits your needs, buy from a competitor if they better suit your needs or make your own. There are no other viable options.

5) Pedantically speaking, squares are rectangles.

Maybe people want a Mac bad enough, that they're buying the only choices available. That was basically the only reason I bought a Mini, back in 2007.

I like the new form factor of the Mini a lot, but I'm not going to spend $700 on a C2D, with integrated graphics, and 2 GB of RAM in 2010. My needs are different, but at the same time, I can't afford a Mac Pro by any stretch. That basically leaves the iMac, but I hate AIO's.

Then there is the MB or MBP, but I don't need a laptop, as my current one is fine. In the end, I just built a new PC back in March, as I wanted a quad-core Core i5, BR, USB 3, and Radeon 5xxx graphics.

To get a Mac, it seems like you have either settle on a few fronts, or spend more than you need.
  • Reply 79 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

To get a Mac, it seems like you have either settle on a few fronts, or spend more than you need.

That's a reasonable statement. I'm sure you aren't alone in your desire to have Mac OS X an have to settle for a less than ideal system.

I've had to deal with an optical drive taking up 25% of my internal space that I simply wouldn't use. I found a solution, but it technically voids my warranty an ld I still don't get any ports along that 5" space the optical drive. But that's life.

I don't feel Apple should make the system I want because me and others are finding the optical drive obsolete, and I don't think their profits and my "knowing" that these machines would sell entitle them to make the exact machine. The entitlement bothers me, not the desire.
  • Reply 80 of 87
    Apple's Mac offerings are a little quirky right now. The iMacs offer incredible value, but one model is too small for pro work and the other is comically large. And if you already have a monitor, your options are either a screen-less laptop (Mac mini) running a four year old chip, or a $2,500 - $5,000 xeon workstation. The hell? A decade ago Apple offered a tower for $1,599.

Whats the roadmap for the i3 reaching the necessary size and efficiency to fit in the Mac mini, and what's the most likely pairing of graphics chip?