Unboxing: Apple's mid-2010 iMac has changes on the inside

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

the sticky plaster

Seriously, get a life.

It's all in the detail I just sold a Mac Pro system and 30" monitor on eBay and when packing it all up in the original boxes I was truly impressed with the quality of all the shipping packing making it snug and safe to travel. No nasty little plastic corners, rather a fully enveloping protective system right down to all the cables and extras. None of which I really noticed in the excitement when it all arrived lol. Apple quality is end to end no question.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They should throw that Mighty (Apple) Mouse away. And offer three options.

1. Magic Mouse

2. Magic Trackpad

3. Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad [Add $69.00]

End of story. The current choice is idiotic.

Why? Wired Might mouse still has side buttons for expose which I use regularly. It also does not require batteries to run.

I never could understand consumers complaining about choice. If you don't like something, don't buy it. Why does it bother you that it's there and that there is choice for those who do want it?
  • Reply 23 of 43
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

How come there's no matte, anti-glare screen? The 1,000+ petitions at the petition site http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments shows there are a substantial percentage - around 20-40% depending on which survey you look at - that need matte screens.

Generally, these are:

- the percentage of the population that is susceptible to eye-strain and migraine headaches from the glossy screen;

- graphic artists

- photographers

- people who use their Macs in bright sun-lit areas

We're not saying matte screens are for everyone -- but there should be a choice.

If you're in desperate need of a matte screen on your iMac, you might add your petition to the growing list at http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments

Agreed. It's painful to see such a beautiful machine and to know one can't buy it because they just plain and simply cannot handle glare, I am in this category. But let's keep the pressure up, who knows they might finally get some decent anti glare glass, better anti glare glass that is, in the future, I mean the CRT monitors and filters managed to way back when, why can't apple? I would wager it's the cost.

I still can't believe no one in the globe hasn't exoerimented with some museum glass mod for the iMac. Maybe because the c2d whit iMacs are still available and pretty good in terms of specs. I for once will surely -when I buy a new iMac- will take the glass out and take it to my local glass and picture frame store and ask them to replicate it with some better a/r glass and then stick it on the Mac to see how it works out, just for the hell of it really.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

How come there's no matte, anti-glare screen? The 1,000+ petitions at the petition site http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments shows there are a substantial percentage - around 20-40% depending on which survey you look at - that need matte screens.

Generally, these are:

- the percentage of the population that is susceptible to eye-strain and migraine headaches from the glossy screen;

- graphic artists

- photographers

We're not saying matte screens are for everyone -- but there should be a choice.

If you're in desperate need of a matte screen on your iMac, you might add your petition to the growing list at http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments

fiction
  • Reply 25 of 43
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Agreed. It's painful to see such a beautiful machine and to know one can't buy it because they just plain and simply cannot handle glare, I am in this category. But let's keep the pressure up, who knows they might finally get some decent anti glare glass, better anti glare glass that is, in the future, I mean the CRT monitors and filters managed to way back when, why can't apple? I would wager it's the cost.

I still can't believe no one in the globe hasn't exoerimented with some museum glass mod for the iMac. Maybe because the c2d whit iMacs are still available and pretty good in terms of specs. I for once will surely -when I buy a new iMac- will take the glass out and take it to my local glass and picture frame store and ask them to replicate it with some better a/r glass and then stick it on the Mac to see how it works out, just for the hell of it really.

Well the iMac glass screen is held on by magnets (pretty easy to lift off), so it's possible for an after market solution. I would stop petitioning Apple and start petitioning a glass fabricator.

http://www.doobybrain.com/2009/03/04...on-by-magnets/
  • Reply 26 of 43
    svesan03svesan03 Posts: 61member
    "Inside, the new iMacs include faster processors, ranging from 3.06, 3.2 or 3.6GHz Core i3 options on the 21.5 inch model (each with 4MB of L3 cache), or a 3.2GHz Core i3 or 2.6GHz Core i5 (both with 4MB of L3 cache) or Quad Core 2.8GHz i5, or Quad Core 2.93GHz Core i7 (both with 8MB of L3 cache) on the 27 inch model."

According to my ordered 21.5" model, the 3.6GHz is a Core i5, not i3 as stated in the article. I'll update if it isn't when it arrives, but my invoice definitely says Core i5.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

This is a site specifically set up to complain about the glass issue - why would you expect it to be representative of the population as a whole?

Apple has shown an incredible ability to offer the market what it wants for the past 5 years or more. If there is sufficient demand, they'll offer a non-glare option. The fact that they don't suggests that the number of people wanting it is tiny.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    What a beautiful machine!
  • Reply 29 of 43
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Generally, these are:

- graphic artists

- photographers

Not true.

Just a quicky. I have had 8 Apple laptops in the past 10 years. The only one that I can really use on my boat is the MacBook Pro LED backlit Glossy. The matte screens are a complete blank. But then my grade 10 science class would have taught me that. Over 30 years in the ad business tells me your other point with graphic artists and photographers are perceptions only.

Take a moment and peruse Apples client site. Great examples of creative and scientific use of the very screens that don't work. If you could only see some of their studios.

You can, if you can't arrange you equipment out of the spotlight, apply a matte overlay. 3M and the likes have great products. However, you can't take a matte screen and render it glossy to really see the deep vivid colors and contrast of your artwork.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Amazing isn't it? Everything that the Apple store says you will get is in the box! How do they do it?
  • Reply 31 of 43
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Amazing isn't it? Everything that the Apple store says you will get is in the box! How do they do it?

Magic?
  • Reply 32 of 43
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    A very strong Reality Distortion Field?
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Why? Wired Might mouse still has side buttons for expose which I use regularly. It also does not require batteries to run.

I never could understand consumers complaining about choice. If you don't like something, don't buy it. Why does it bother you that it's there and that there is choice for those who do want it?

My problem with it is that I already have a Magic Mouse (which I love) but don't want to buy another one just to get a Magic Trackpad (which I would like to get) when I buy my next iMac.

I suppose I'll just spend the extra money and then sell the packaged Magic Mouse.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is a site specifically set up to complain about the glass issue - why would you expect it to be representative of the population as a whole?

Apple has shown an incredible ability to offer the market what it wants for the past 5 years or more. If there is sufficient demand, they'll offer a non-glare option. The fact that they don't suggests that the number of people wanting it is tiny.

I'm willing to bet it is a larger percentage of people than the percentage of people having antenna problems. While the antenna problem sparked Steve Jobs to state that Apple wants all of its customers to be happy, the glossy/matte issue has been going on for years with no recompense.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post

Did the last 27" model support a secondary internal drive? If so, I completely missed this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, it?s new.

The specs infer a SATA drive and the option of a second solid state drive. Could I infer from this information that a second SATA drive could be installed (in lieu of a SSD)?

In other words... are there two identical HD bays?

I'm thinking built-in TM.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Quick correction to one of the specs in the article: As far as the 21.5" models go, there is no Core i3 with 3.6GHz. That's in fact a dual-core i5 running at 3.6GHz, which also has 4MB of L3 cache, but features Intel's Turbo Boost technology, which the Core i3's do not. The Core i3-550 running at 3.2GHz is the fastest Core i3 available.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lopsided View Post

Did they drop the Kensington security slot? It was eliminated on the new mini, and I don't see any reference to it here or on the iMac tech specs page on Apple.com.

Yes, the Kensington lock slot is there. Under Store, iMac, choose Gallery, the back picture shows it... Not sure if it works but I'll try embedding the image here.

Yeah the lock slot was eliminated from the Mini. Meaning Apple doesn't want you to use the Mini in schools and so on...
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

The specs infer a SATA drive and the option of a second solid state drive. Could I infer from this information that a second SATA drive could be installed (in lieu of a SSD)?

In other words... are there two identical HD bays?

I'm thinking built-in TM.

The second bay is for a 2.5" drive, which is what the SSDs are. It could hold a laptop hard drive, but not one "identical" to the other drive. The SSD bay also lacks mounting rails and cables if you don't get the SSD from Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The second bay is for a 2.5" drive, which is what the SSDs are. It could hold a laptop hard drive, but not one "identical" to the other drive. The SSD bay also lacks mounting rails and cables if you don't get the SSD from Apple.

Hopefully someone is working on an aftermarket kit to sell online.
    Quote:

The good news is that the SSD bay available in the new iMacs holds a standard 2.5" form factor drive, which means you can install a high-performance OWC Mercury Extreme SSD for the speed advantage over Apple's SSDs.

The bad news is that, unless your Mid 2010 iMac originally came with an Apple SSD, there's no graceful way to install an OWC one. The appropriate mounting bracket and connector cables are nowhere to be found on the non-SSD models.

One thing I can’t find is the maximum drive thickness allowed. Meaning, the SSD used is 9.5mm which is the standard drive thickness Apple uses for all notebooks with 2.5” drives, but they will take a 12.5mm drive just fine.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah the lock slot was eliminated from the Mini. Meaning Apple doesn't want you to use the Mini in schools and so on...

That was very surprising.