Nobody told me the women's figure skating started !

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]if anything Slutskaya should have gotten higher marks lass night, not lower.<hr></blockquote>

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Slutskaya's marks could have gone higher??? She got the equivalent 5.8s across the board for a routine that also saw no triples. In the routine, Slutskaya stepped out mid triple-double-double combo and almost slapped the ice with her hand while landing a triple flip.

Even worse, Slutskaya was given three 5.9s for presentation.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>Slutskaya is and was a lot more smooth, despite any technical mishaps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I couuldn't disagree more. Her strength is jumping. . (&lt;--period) She is stiff in her presentation, and seems to be forcing herself to do hand motions that are unnatural to her. Kwan is much more elegant, and Sarah Hughes shows the potential to be, as does Sasha Cohen, perhaps more so.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    [quote]...Sarah Hughes shows the potential to be, as does Sasha Cohen, perhaps more so.<hr></blockquote>

Sasha Cohen, yes. Sarah Hughes, no.

Sarah Hughes's gold medal presentation marks:

5.7 5.7 5.8 5.6 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8

Slutskaya's presentation marks:

5.6 5.9 5.9 5.8 5.6 5.9 5.7 5.7 5.7

Kwan's marks despite her fall:

5.7 5.8 5.9 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.8 5.8 5.8

Cohen's marks despite her fall:

5.8 5.7 5.8 5.6 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.8

It's agony to watch Hughes and Slutskaya on the flail on the ice. I think my favorite skater at this point is Sasha Cohen because she has the ability to land the quad and the artistry to go with it.

But looking back at the marks above. If people admit Slutskaya is much more technical and less artsy, in addition to having both marks further harmed by several minor mistakes, and factor in Sarah Hughes' presentation scores for a 'perfect' routine, then there's no way Slutskaya should have three 5.9s and a 5.8 for presentation.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Michelle has brought so much to figure skating and has established herself as one of the best ever. It's so disappointing that every other night you are the best, and when it all counts you aren't. I mean she worked so hard for 4 yrs to avenge nagano and get the gold she rightly deserves. I think she's a respectful and beautiful girl, with so much class. I felt really bad for her seeing the hurt in her face. There's no denying that for several years Michelle has been the best in the world, so it's truely disappointing when she has her off night in the final of the Olympics. She hinted at coming back at 2006, but can she keep the form or even get better and compete with the next wave? There's bound o be another teenager out there coming up through the ranks. I heard that Slutskaya received 2 5.9s for technical marks. One was from a Russian judge. Not even Sarah Hughes got 5.9s, yet she definitely skated the best last night. Slutskaya's performance was one with mistakes and she lacked her normal speed. It wasn't that impressive. Kwan could still have Hughes beat her, but couldn't let anyone else. Slutskaya's marks put her in 2nd place last night, Michelle 3rd. It was either bronze or gold for Michelle, and if Slutskaya's marks were any lower, Michelle would have gotten gold. The Russians now have the nerve to say that Slutskaya deserves a gold medal as well. I wish they would walk out of the games. Yes Michelle fell, yes Michelle was off her game, but according to this formula, she's still the golden girl.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Hughes looks mechanical in my opinion. I think Sasha Cohen displays a lot of talent. She nearly landed that jump....now that would have been one hell of a skate if she did. I really thought Cohen would challenge. Never expected hughes (nor wanted it).
  • Reply 46 of 50
    [quote]And for those who say Michelle Kwan is ugly, you're probably attracted to Macy Gray or something. Gotta be kidding me.<hr></blockquote>

I find Kwan to be particularly ugly. Her nostils are almost as big as the air filters on my car. (not really, but you get the idea)

And to gregg, I can't really give you an objective read on it: I just think slutskaya is/was a lot more elegant of a skater than Kwan. She's quicker even on a slow day, and just moves her legs more fluidly. She looks more natural out there than Kwan or the rest, who look so much like they are forcing every last ounce out of each jump and barely making it. ESPECIALLY KWAN, who shoots that leg up like a spring. Plus I think Slutskaya is better looking than her American counterparts, which always counts for something.

As I said, it is a personal judgement, and I'm not an IOC judge by any means.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    Well, at least there's one person in the world who thinks Irina Slutskaya is an elegant skater.

However, Eugene, there are many who think that of Sarah Hughes. And she will get better.

Sasha Cohen's 'air' disturbs me. She seems puckish to me, and she's a year older than Hughes, who comes off much more maturely. Too much was made of the alleged brush by incident in warms ups, whenever that was. But Cohen's interviews did not help her image any. She is a terrific skater, for sure. She needs a better PR approach. ...she's got the quad approach down.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Wait what happened with Cohen and Kwan?

Slutskaya better looking......ahahahhahaha......
  • Reply 49 of 50
    It was alleged that Cohen clipped Kwan more than once in practice one morning. I haven't cared to look into it. Seems like one media outlet tried to stir something up and people didn't really bite into it.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Slutskaya better looking? Right. On a good day, maybe.

Cohen nearly ran into Kwan during warm ups. This was before the Olympics. The media tried to make a big deal out of it, like it was some sort of attempt to intimidate. Not a chance. Well, not much of one.

And by the way, Kwan hits many of her jumps "effortlessly" with perfect, seamless landings. That's why she's won so many other competitions.