After 6 weeks of "real usage," Mossberg stands by his initial verdict of the iPhone 4

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 145
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, this is another instance of your repeated misinterpretation and misrepresentation of what I've written. I understand that it's a certain rhetorical technique to do so, but it doesn't exactly bolster your arguments.

No, this is a case where directly quoting your words is feebly argued to be a "misrepresentation." Several people have given up discussing this with you because of this insulting, condescending attitude. Learn to live with what you say, or learn to not say things you can't live with.

Quote:

I really can't see how any rational, intelligent person can think that Consumer Reports' does not obviously have a credibility problem, with all of their reviews.

• Reply 142 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Actually, the most you can state is that other phones have not been determined to drop 24dB in signal by being held. Since no one cares about other phones, no one has bothered to do extensive testing to determine this, or at least no one is publishing the data, if they have.

According to the infamous AnandTech results which are now being stated as unwavering fact for all iPhone 4s instead of their results from their devices, the iPhone 4 dropped 24.6 dB and the HTC Nexus One dropped 17.7 dB. That is a difference of 6.9 dB.

However, according to AnandTech?s follow up report of the iPhone with iOS 4.0.1 it can hold a call well below the dB level of other phones. The antenna design is such an improvement that calls were held at −121 dB, or 8 dB lower than other phones can even report. If the Nexus One is dropping calls by −113 dB that would mean that the iPhone 4 would be the superior choice no matter you slice it.
  • Reply 143 of 145
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

No, this is a case where directly quoting your words is feebly argued to be a "misrepresentation." Several people have given up discussing this with you because of this insulting, condescending attitude. Learn to live with what you say, or learn to not say things you can't live with.

So, a direct quote of my words says that, "I can't see how any rational, intelligent person can think..." And I really can't. You can choose to interpret that as me calling you an irrational idiot. Or you can take it at it's face value and offer some rational argument that will make me see why their testing and rating process isn't arbitrary and irrelevant, as well as fundamentally flawed. And, this isn't about their iP4 testing, this is about all their testing, about their basic methodology, about how they even decide what should be tested to determine product quality. I think they fail across the board in properly conducting any of these activities.
  • Reply 144 of 145
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

According to the infamous AnandTech results which are now being stated as unwavering fact for all iPhone 4s instead of their results from their devices, the iPhone 4 dropped 24.6 dB and the HTC Nexus One dropped 17.7 dB. That is a difference of 6.9 dB.

Good points regarding that particular comparison. I was, however, making a broader point that ski1 is making statements that other phones don't show a signal loss of >=24.6dB when in fact he has no basis for asserting that, generally.

It is interesting to note in this comparison, as you rightly point out, that the 17.7dB signal drop suffered by the Nexus One may actually be more significant than the 24.6dB maximum drop of the iP4. This tends to indicate that the absolute signal drop value is actually irrelevant to the discussion. The important factor would rather seem to be, what is the lowest signal value with which, when held, a phone can actually make a call. A more complicated analysis, but really the only one that is meaningful.
  • Reply 145 of 145
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Oh good grief. Learn to live with what you say. I am done.