UK using iPad to train soldiers for Afghan operations

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The US Army isn't the only security force adopting Apple's iOS devices for training and military operations; the UK is also now actively using iPad to train its soldiers.

Following a report earlier this year that outlined the interest in Apple's mobile devices being expressed by the US Army, a new report by the BBC outlines similar interest across the Atlantic.

The Royal School of Artillery in Wiltshire is already using iPad to train soldiers how to handle a "fire mission," a scenario where they are facing enemy fire from several miles away. Early trials have shown troops "have learned the jargon and procedures more quickly than before, when they were sat listening to lessons from instructors," the report said.

Lance Bombardier Jason Markham, who has already served in Afghanistan and is in training for a second tour, told the BBC, "[iPad-based training] makes it more fun instead of being sat in a classroom looking at a presentation being given information.

"If you're on a course you can take this back to the block and practise with it, even have little competitions with it."

Army training officer Major Rich Gill, who has been working to roll out the iPad training, noted, "if we can use this sort of technology, we can probably shorten the amount of training and that is pretty key nowadays when people are so committed to operations in Afghanistan.

"There's so much they need to do before they go there and when they come back. If we can use this to reduce the amount of training it'll be fantastic."

While the armed forced are facing cuts, Gill said the move to iPad-based training is good value for the money because its helps cut related expenses, including printing reference guides a manuals. "You can get all the material that you need on there at the right time and it's really mobile as well," Gill said.

Apple's iPad was among 15 other devices the team considered, and "at the time this project came about this was the best bit of hardware on the market," Gill noted. The same team is now working on a 3D training app for pilots, intended to help them quickly identify different types of vehicles from the air.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Just one example of why all the iPad haters missed the point.

Could you do this training in other ways? Of course, But the iPad's compactness, reliability, and ease of use make it better than the alternatives.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... the UK is also now actively using iPad to train its solderers.

eh?
  • Reply 3 of 43
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

eh?

They're the ones soldering the country back together.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

eh?

Sounds like it's an electrical engineering simulation app.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Well... I guess there really is 'An App For That' !
  • Reply 6 of 43
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Could you do this training in other ways? Of course, But the iPad's compactness, reliability, and ease of use make it better than the alternatives.

IMO the real benefit is instant on and inherent touch ability(common in mil hardware interfaces). Otherwise a regular ol PC or mac laptop should work just as well or better. I'm waiting for ability to print(easily) and better basic file storage/transfer in v2(hopefully).
  • Reply 7 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am happy they can get them! I want to buy another and they are like trying to find rocking horse droppings!
  • Reply 8 of 43
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO the real benefit is instant on and inherent touch ability(common in mil hardware interfaces). Otherwise a regular ol PC or mac laptop should work just as well or better. I'm waiting for ability to print(easily) and better basic file storage/transfer in v2(hopefully).

I must disagree with you on a few points. I think the motion sensors and the multiple axis gyro could give a more realistic or imersive experince to the trainie and the 10-12 hour battery gives it a big advantage. I think that most laptops with that kind of graphics performance would not be able to run on battery very long and wouldn't really be cheaper. And coming from my mostly antedodal observations most portabels thAT can go 12 hours on a charge have weak graphics peformance.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am happy they can get them! I want to buy another and they are like trying to find rocking horse droppings!

I found my on the shelf next to the hen's teeth.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    I think this is more a testament to the fact that people learn through interactivity and traditional lectures may not be the best model for presenting information. Teachers are better off helping one-on-one while the iPad gives the lecture. I think the iPad is helping people re-evaluate traditional methods. Especially as the economy is pushing people to try things differently. Just a matter of time and students will give up their pencils for fingers.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It helps that it has good development tools, lots of software, easy management, good industrial design, long battery, feels more personal then a personal computer, and will be around for the long haul. It would be hard to find something that can compete with that... even among net books. I think that there is also a collective subconscious desire for a device like this to succeed. That is why there is very little criticism and a lot of praise placed on the iPad despite it being a new concept with lots of things to iron out still. There is a global interest to make this device succeed. I think that competitors may have trouble rallying the same support.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Hope they are not getting special pricing or quantity-dsicount on this. No wonder, iPad is still hard to get.

No matter what they are using it for, Apple should not get into the KILLING-BUSINESS. Once the military get into Apple products, chances are there will be export restrictions. And who knows what else.

I don't like it at all.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Maybe some language training would help, too.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    glockpopglockpop Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Hope they are not getting special pricing or quantity-dsicount on this. No wonder, iPad is still hard to get.

No matter what they are using it for, Apple should not get into the KILLING-BUSINESS. Once the military get into Apple products, chances are there will be export restrictions. And who knows what else.

I don't like it at all.

Well in addition to killing, they also stop killing. So if they do it right, there's an overall reduction in killing.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Unless an iPad can stop a fucking bullet, its value in Afghanistan is nominal.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpilkington View Post

Bullets fuck?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpilkington View Post

Using an iPad to train soldiers is useless since iPads can not stop bullets? \
  • Reply 18 of 43
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Using an iPad to train soldiers is useless since iPads can not stop bullets? \

Windows PC's need to be able to stop bullets, since people are more likely to get frustrated and try to shoot the fucker!
  • Reply 19 of 43
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I bet they didn't have to try that hard. Surely Apple keep some aside to give quickly to people like this in the knowledge that it will get them yet more positive (and free) press!
  • Reply 20 of 43
    walneywalney Posts: 70member