RIM plans to counter Apple's iPad with 'Blackpad' in November

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
BlackBerry maker Research in Motion plans to enter the touchscreen tablet market and compete with Apple's iPad this November, when it will release the "Blackpad."

Two people familiar with the plans confirmed the product to Bloomberg, and the device will reportedly be called the "Blackpad." RIM already acquired the blackpad.com domain name this month.

The hardware is said to sport a 9.7-inch screen, identical to the iPad's dimensions, will also be priced similarly to Apple's touchscreen tablet, which starts at $499. It will include both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and will allow users to connect to the Internet through their BlackBerry. Apple does not currently allow iPad users to access 3G cellular data networks with their iPhone.

Sources said that RIM has no plans to undercut Apple's iPad pricing, as the company hopes to make additional profit from its tablet rather than sell a huge number of devices at a lower price.

"RIM is stepping up its competition with Apple on multiple fronts," author Hugo Miller wrote. "The company is hosting an event in New York Aug. 3 at which it will debut its BlackBerry 9800 slider phone, according to one person familiar with its plans. The device will feature a full touchscreen like Apple's iPhone and a slideout Qwerty keyboard to allow for easy e-mail typing, the person said."

The report also cited analyst Ashok Kumar with Rodman & Renshaw, who said the hardware will include front- and back-facing cameras for video conferencing. Earlier this month, Kumar told AppleInsider that Apple was planning on a hardware fix for the iPhone 4 antenna to address reception issues. At its iPhone 4 press conference, Apple did not reveal any plans for a hardware fix, and instead announced it is giving away free cases for all handset buyers through Sept. 30.

RIM's Blackpad will be one of a number of devices that aim to compete with Apple's iPad, which sold 3.27 million units in its first quarter. On Thursday, Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer indicated that his company intends to have a greater presence this year in the "slate PC" market, as his company has dubbed it.

Computer maker HP also hopes to leverage its $2 billion acquisition of Palm as it releases its own tablet later this year. HP's offering will be based on the webOS mobile operating system, which is expected to hit version 2.0 later this year.

Also slated to arrive this year are tablets based on Google's Android mobile operating system. In April, The New York Times reported that the search giant was exploring the idea of creating its own touchscreen tablet that would allow users to read books and browse the Internet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    The battle is joined! Welcome, RIM.
  • Reply 2 of 112
    Why would someone buy a Blackpad for the same price as an iPad when the Apple app store is so gigantic with a hundred thousand apps ready to go? Are RIM customers that loyal to a shrinking company? I'm all for competition but having the same type of device with similar features for the same price but with less capability out of the box won't work well. If it were priced $150 to $200 less then it would have a chance to do well.
  • Reply 3 of 112
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    With luck the front & back facing cameras will force Apple to add those to the next iPad. (Though odds are they already planned to....)
  • Reply 4 of 112
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Why would someone buy a Blackpad for the same price as an iPad when the Apple app store is so gigantic with a hundred thousand apps ready to go? Are RIM customers that loyal to a shrinking company? I'm all for competition but having the same type of device with similar features for the same price but with less capability out of the box won't work well. If it were priced $150 to $200 less then it would have a chance to do well.

For businesses that are already heavily invested in Blackberries, it probably makes more sense to go with a Blackberry tablet than switch to iPads.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    I agree, unless RIM has something radical up their sleeve to turn your eye away from an iPad, I don't see a huge amount of desire here. I still think it will be interesting to see what they come up with and how well it is integrated with their software...but don't they still use Java?

I'm not keen on the name Blackpad either. It's funny how everyone wants to use the name PAD in there tablet name now. Apple changes everything.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Hmm first I want to see the new 9800 bold, since RIM are playing their trumpets to say it real iPhone killer, also their new operating system 6.0, bore I would even go near their so called iPad competitor.

RIM the issue is you are playing catch up and unless you have radical new design, you always play catch up.
  • Reply 7 of 112
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Once you go black you'll never go back..
  • Reply 8 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wish them well but I have yet to see a decent touchscreen device from the HW to the OS to the UI from RiM, so I’m not sure if they can make a passable tablet out of the gate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I agree, unless RIM has something radical up their sleeve to turn your eye away from an iPad, I don't see a huge amount of desire here.

Does free Blackberry tethering count? While I think this is a nice offer for people they really need to have a 3G version. Making your phone a hotspot for your tablet can be cumbersome and power draining. If this is for use with a business phone this could be a real issue for some.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Shouldn't RIM sort out its lacking phone lineup, and get a decent mobile OS/apps infrastructure before venturing into unchartered markets?
  • Reply 10 of 112
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Some blackberry users love them as much as we love the iPhone. I think this will sell big to the i.t. shops that don't want to support another platform but are getting pressure from

their users for iPhone and ipad devices. I don't think this will have much affect on the ipad rather I see this as easy pickings for Rim.
  • Reply 11 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The battle is joined! Welcome, RIM.

I assume the will have a pull out keyboard so they can use their thumbs. I clearly recall RIM and BB enthusiasts mocking any mention of virtual keyboards. Or do you think they will simply copy all Apple's ingenuity for their Pad as they have now with phones and make themselves look pretty lame?
  • Reply 12 of 112
    Never mind.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Once you go black you'll never go back..

Not a very good name.
  • Reply 14 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Whatever happened to the argument when the iPhone first came out that real smartphones didn't come with cameras or had an option to order them without cameras? I remember so many "smart" people claiming that because of security risks no corporate or government buyers would allow phones with cameras in their buildings. I guess that now hat Rim does it it's suddenly ok?

Ummmmm. Hunh?? The ist gen iPhone had a camera... lemmee check - yep still does. I think you may be confused -or perhaps not stating your point clearly enough. iPhone has had the cam for all models. iPod Touch not. iPad, not. This makes those devices more flexible for uses that require higher security levels (and the lack of camera where necessary). I haven't checked the enterprise control system to see if the setup and control systems allow for disabling the camera on the iPhone or not.

RIM has offered cameras on their devices for some time - so there is no "now the RIM does it" involved. Palm Treos had/have them. Most smartphones do and have for some time.
  • Reply 15 of 112
    Quote:

Why would someone buy a Blackpad for the same price as an iPad...? Are RIM customers that loyal to a shrinking company?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I agree, unless RIM has something radical up their sleeve to turn your eye away from an iPad, I don't see a huge amount of desire here.

I thought the "revolutionary" thing everyone was bemoaning about that the iPad doesn't have and all other tablets will have is... Adobe Flash support?! According to many know-it-alls and complainers once others add Flash the iPad will be rendered useless. So I think RIM, HP, MS, etc will play up their allowance of Flash, because really after that they can't offer much else Apple has. Flash and probably USB support and a cam, but everyone "in the know" knows the iPad will have a cam next March or April. If not sooner since Steve said they will ship tens of millions of devices with FaceTime by end of this year.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

For businesses that are already heavily invested in Blackberries, it probably makes more sense to go with a Blackberry tablet than switch to iPads.

Yeah?

Limited-capability OS + lack of any real touch capabilities a la Apple + Apple ratcheting up to new model in 2011 + Apple's app base + iTunes Store + One year's lead in sorting out manufacturing/quality issues + Apple stores where people can familiarize themselves with this new product + Little or no learning involved for a large existing base of iPhone/iPod Touch users + Time taken by corporate IT departments to make mass purchase decisions + RIM having to ship product from its warehouses (i.e., not via service provider outlets) + Lack of Apple's coolness factor = RIM fail.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Some blackberry users love them as much as we love the iPhone. I think this will sell big to the i.t. shops that don't want to support another platform but are getting pressure from

their users for iPhone and ipad devices. I don't think this will have much affect on the ipad rather I see this as easy pickings for Rim.

Most of the ones in my organization love their BBs due to easy email scrolling response, and little else. I'm sure others love theirs for a variety of reasons. Our org is looking at reducing BB support because of the requirement to support them via installed BES systems and the several hits that RIM service has taken in the last couple of years. With enterprise controls and direct to Exchange support, the iPhone becomes more cost-effective solution.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    If these folks really want to stir things up, they need to come up with something new and exciting, maybe even revolutionary!

If you want to beat Apple at their game, you must first get ahead of them.

I'm not sure if any of these other companies have a think tank, working on stuff 2, 4 years down the road. If not, it will be tough to pass Apple, or come out with something new & exciting.

Remember, Apple folks and techies need to be "WOWED"!

Skip
  • Reply 19 of 112
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Either Blackberry OS6 is the greatest comeback story in the history of computing, or this is a really, really bad idea.
  • Reply 20 of 112
    It must gall them to have to do this. Whether it sells in great volume or not, the reality is Apple is forcing them into the game.

They just can't sit back and let Apple take total control of a mobile market that they were supposed to excel in.

This mobile pad market is going to be huge. Something is better than nothing is guess.