Hackers release browser-based 'jailbreak' for iPhone 4

2456789

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 178
    jb2017jb2017 Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    They've fixed that. Facetime / MMS are ok.



    Number one reason to JB....MyWi. Simply brilliant.



    http://www.cultofmac.com/mywi-tether...k-review/43645



    Where do you see that was fixed? I've done this multiple times ending in the same result.
  • Reply 22 of 178
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post


    What could possibly be so important to run on your IP to take such a risk? I can understand using another network, but what apps could someone want that badly?



    If you can't imagine anything you can't do with your phone now, then you don't need to jailbreak. If at some point you discover that there is something you want to do with your phone that it just plain wont let you, but it is something you know that phone is capable of, then you might want to learn more about it and the options it opens up for you. For now, you should probably not concern yourself with it, because it sounds like you are content.
  • Reply 23 of 178
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post


    What could possibly be so important to run on your IP to take such a risk? I can understand using another network, but what apps could someone want that badly?



    Risk? If you don't like it or something goes wrong you simply restore. 0 risk.



    Even if you only use MyWi that's reason alone to JB. You're paying $30-$50 per month depending on what country you live in for your mobile plan so why not enable tethering with all your other devices that you paid thousands of dollars for?



    p.s. You don't need AT&T for tethering now and you can do it via any connection you want not just USB only, BT only, or WiFi only.



    + FaceTime over 3G
  • Reply 24 of 178
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    Risk? If you don't like it or something goes wrong you simply restore. 0 risk.



    Even if you only use MyWi that's reason alone to JB. You're paying $30-$50 per month depending on what country you live in for your mobile plan so why not enable tethering with all your other devices that you paid thousands of dollars for?



    There have been worms in the past that have affected jailbroken phones (Remember the iPhones that got rick rolled?). While becoming infected with a virus or root-kit may be easily resolved by reloading the phones OS, the damage of all your contacts and pictures potentially being stolen, app store purchases, phone calls or sms messages to paid services is a little harder to undo so quickly. Especially if an virus that affects jailbroken phones also loads on an extra one that infects your computer when you connect your phone to it to try to reload the phone.



    Not trying to fear monger, but as a rooted Android owner, I fully understand what the implications of my actions could entail, and if you are going to jailbreak, you cant sit back and believe there is an undo button if you get hit with a virus. You need to understand that you have compromised your security further, and you must take extra precautions to protect yourself that that average user would not take. Educating yourself as much as possible before doing such an activity will go a long ways, so don't just jailbreak because you can because it is so easy to do.
  • Reply 25 of 178
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I would have rather it remain a semi-long process rather then "slide to unlock".
  • Reply 26 of 178
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    That slide to Jailbreak brings them smack in the middle of a Patent lawsuit.



    Apple acquired the patents on the slider and it's intentions behind a while ago.
  • Reply 27 of 178
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post


    Nonsense. All Apple products are super secure. Only jailbreakers can get hacked.



    Yup, if you forget to change your default password for SSH for example peeps can access your iDevice's contents. Only affects jailbroken devices.
  • Reply 28 of 178
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Let Freedom Ring!
  • Reply 29 of 178
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb2017 View Post


    Where do you see that was fixed? I've done this multiple times ending in the same result.



    Saw this on another board:



    Quote:

    There's an unofficial fix if you're missing facetime and MMS that worked for me:



    -add http://iphonedelivery.advinux.fr/cydia as a source

    -download the only app from that source

    -respring/reboot

    -facetime and MMS should now be back



    I've also read that if you restore to a pre-jailbreak backup, it will also give back MMS and facetime without undoing the jailbreak as it's not a full firmware restore.



  • Reply 30 of 178
    Can someone who has done this explain what happens when you 'slide to jailbreak'?



    I'm kindof amazed that its even possible over the net by simply pushing a button. Just curious if it does it immediately, some sort of download, any other steps to take, how long. etc.
  • Reply 31 of 178
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    Risk? If you don't like it or something goes wrong you simply restore. 0 risk.



    Unless you are unable to restore. Or unless you create a security flaw - which we've already seen with previously jailbroken phones.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    Even if you only use MyWi that's reason alone to JB. You're paying $30-$50 per month depending on what country you live in for your mobile plan so why not enable tethering with all your other devices that you paid thousands of dollars for?



    So your argument is that you should jailbreak your phone so that you can get access to services that you have not paid for? Thanks for confirming the common belief that people jailbreak their phones mostly so they can steal something.
  • Reply 32 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post


    What could possibly be so important to run on your IP to take such a risk? I can understand using another network, but what apps could someone want that badly?







    2 Good reasons right there.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8XJNcGk7uk
  • Reply 33 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by september11th View Post


    Can someone who has done this explain what happens when you 'slide to jailbreak'?



    I'm kindof amazed that its even possible over the net by simply pushing a button. Just curious if it does it immediately, some sort of download, any other steps to take, how long. etc.



    Well it basically installs cydia on your iPhone, first try = success for me and I got to unlock mine with ultrasn0w.
  • Reply 34 of 178
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by september11th View Post


    Can someone who has done this explain what happens when you 'slide to jailbreak'?



    I'm kindof amazed that its even possible over the net by simply pushing a button. Just curious if it does it immediately, some sort of download, any other steps to take, how long. etc.



    1) It starts downloading the jailbreak software witha progress bar

    2) Once downloaded, it presents another status bar to show the installation process

    3) After that, it presents a message saying jailbreak was successful.

    4) It then adds Cydia to your homescreen

    5) You're done. It doesn't even force you to reboot
  • Reply 35 of 178
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post






    I don't think I'm alone when I say that looks hideous.
  • Reply 36 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Unless you are unable to restore. Or unless you create a security flaw - which we've already seen with previously jailbroken phones.







    So your argument is that you should jailbreak your phone so that you can get access to services that you have not paid for? Thanks for confirming the common belief that people jailbreak their phones mostly so they can steal something.



    it's unfair to be charged for tethering. there are no longer any unlimited data plans with at&t. if you stay below your data quota, you are using the same amount of data, why should you have to pay extra to tether your device? why pay a monthly fee to unlock a feature that costs the phone company $0? it's highway robbery.



    phone companies should WANT you to tether, then you have a better chance of running over your data quota and then they can charge you outrageous overage fees.



    i find it disturbing how against jailbreaking the appleinsider community is. there is no potential for permanent phone damage, and it doesn't even void your warranty because you can just restore to an official firmware and there's no way apple can know that you jailbroke your phone. on phones like the nokia n900, you get an open source linux environment where you don't have to pay apple $100 and sacrifice 30% of your revenue just to distribute a program on the phone. you can create your own programs and compile them on the full terminal.



    there is no security disadvantage to having an open computing environment, why would you think there's a security problem that needs to be solved by having a closed app store? why are mobile phones different than the free and open environment of the desktop pc?



    they aren't. companies like apple just want to get you used to the idea of running everything through them, the middleman of their software platform. don't be fooled. also, in the US it was recently confirmed that jailbreaking is perfectly legal. you are absolutely blind if you advocate locking yourself out of utilizing your own purchased hardware to its full potential
  • Reply 37 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    That slide to Jailbreak brings them smack in the middle of a Patent lawsuit.



    Apple acquired the patents on the slider and it's intentions behind a while ago.



    ugh, it's silly that patents like this can exist. still, you're right.



    we need patent law reform, especially for software.
  • Reply 38 of 178
    Anyone try to use My3G with FaceTime? I've tried and it does not work
  • Reply 39 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post


    It takes one hell of a hack to jailbreak an iPhone through the web browser. It's not a hard concept to understand. You should not be able to run a program on an unjailbroken phone that could perform superuser operations that will grant superuser operations to the default user account on the phone. To be able to do such a thing is an exploit and a hack. If someone can run a jailbreak program through the browser they can essentially run anything they want. If you understand how to jailbreak or root a phone, you would understand this. This is a HUGE security flaw.



    possibly a huge security flaw, but remember, all iphones come with the same root password by default (i think it's still "alpine"). i think this fact probably makes it easy (but i also thought without jailbreaking, you have no access to root at all. i'm fuzzy on the whole thing).
  • Reply 40 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    I don't think I'm alone when I say that looks hideous.



    it may look hideous, but someone must like it. at least with a jailbroken phone you have that choice.



    there are definitely better themes out there that look great. if a cheap ass ghetto phone can have more than one theme, why can't an iphone?
Sign In or Register to comment.