Hackers release browser-based 'jailbreak' for iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 178
    That this exploit exists and was called out in this fashion is very, very disturbing.

I can barely believe that a Safari exploit permits this kind of action.

Apple: where are your OS and QA security departments?
  • Reply 42 of 178
    mavismavis Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Relax. If a software update doesn't fix the issue, then a press conference surely will. Most likely, million dollar labs are behind the security of iOS4. Plus, it's a challenge for the entire mobile industry, as you can see from this thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=111796 (well, their problems may not be as specific, but having a browser exploit to hack your phone just marks the spot.)

Best reply ever.
  • Reply 43 of 178
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

possibly a huge security flaw, but remember, all iphones come with the same root password by default (i think it's still "alpine"). i think this fact probably makes it easy (but i also thought without jailbreaking, you have no access to root at all. i'm fuzzy on the whole thing).

Technically you should not have access to root (By manufacture design) however if one of two things can take place, you can gain root. If the root password is known, it can be gained. The other way is for an exploit to hook into a function of the phone that has superuser access and gain superuser access for itself through what is called privalage escalation. Either situation means giving full access to the device in terms of what can be executed and what parts of the system can be written. Jailbreaking and rooting are essentially the same thing looking at the big picture.

I should point out that jailbreaking an iPhone and rooting an Android phone both are a means of gaining superuser (root) access to modify the file system to allow for changes to be made in parts of the phone you nomally cannot change, and to allow actions to be performed that would have been restricted from running on the default systems account. Hence on either device you can make modifications to the OS, load on a different custom rom, and run programs that you would not have been allowed to run. Gaining root is a Unix term, and for those who didn't know, the iPhone runs on Unix, and Android on Linux (a Unix clone). Our phones are not so different ;P
  • Reply 44 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I don't think I'm alone when I say that looks hideous.

Better?
  • Reply 45 of 178
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavis View Post

Best reply ever.

Thanks
  • Reply 46 of 178
    It reminds me of the days where everything was simple where there were only a few things to download and the ios line was nothing big.Where there was no android and Blackberry was the popular phone.the 1.0 days were the best
  • Reply 47 of 178
    Could the android users please remind me what's the advantage of Android again? Other than being a Verizon user and there is no choice, what reason is there to buy any Android phone and suffer the lack of software, now that iPhones just gained a huge increase in all the Apps that Apple rejected for either moral or competitive reasons?

It would seem the Library of Congress just destroyed the reason for Android to exist......
  • Reply 48 of 178
    Why not just Dev-Team releases browser-based 'jailbreak' for iPhone 4?

I know there's a difference between 'hackers' and 'crackers' but the general public will latch on like a scared schoolgirl and deem any 'hacker' to be doing something bad. We've actually got the opposite here, they're doing something good. They're providing freedom of choice and legally I might add.

All we need is some glorified idiot to get some airtime on TV saying that with their hacked iPhone they can now steer a satellite to drop out of the sky with pinpoint accuracy onto a nuke plant or something.

What these guys are doing is nothing short of pulling the damn bug out of Checkov's ear in Star Trek's Wrath of Khan.
  • Reply 49 of 178
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleADayKeepsDrAway View Post

Could the android users please remind me what's the advantage of Android again? Other than being a Verizon user and there is no choice, what reason is there to buy any Android phone and suffer the lack of software, now that iPhones just gained a huge increase in all the Apps that Apple rejected for either moral or competitive reasons?

It would seem the Library of Congress just destroyed the reason for Android to exist......

IDK, different reasons for different people. For me, it was because there is plenty of software available (not a lack of it, android just dosn't have 100 of essentially the same app yet), and because we have a setting to allow non-market apps to be installed without having to root/jailbreak. I am sure other people have other reasons, but really, I think it comes down to preference. Sure, certain things are just as restrictive as the iPhone, but all and all, it is a lot less restrictive, and some of us enjoy our widgets and live backgrounds, or ability to install a new homescreen without having to jailbreak. Either they are features you want, or ones you don't. If you dont want them, an iPhone is a great option really, but make no mistake, you can customize many aspects of the phone without needing to root it.

Also, as far as I am aware, pretty much any carrier has at least one android phone. Verizon just probably has the most.
  • Reply 50 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

What could possibly be so important to run on your IP to take such a risk? I can understand using another network, but what apps could someone want that badly?

If for no other reason I would jailbreak my phone so that I can have a different SMS alert to the limited and rather hideous ones that Apple have imposed. In my group of friends it is nearly 100% iPhones - I want an SMS alert that is unique to me. Why Apple have not allowed such a basic action is beyond belief.

I can modify the carrier name to use their logo rather than a word. For a phone that is as much about aesthetic as functionality, you'd think carrier logo's would be standard.

iProtect - gives password access at app level so I can control what can & can't be opened. There is no app with the same functionality in the app store.

And then there's Activator - when you've configured this app and become accustomed to swipe or tap shortcuts it is painfully hard to go back to not having them. For example, at least twice daily I need to turn off the silent vibrate as well as sound - so I have to open home screen, find then open settings, open sounds flick two buttons and at least two home button presses to exit and then press the power button to sleep - or one swipe. So 4 times a day I have to go through either that laborious series of clicks or one swipe. That is just one of the shortcuts I have in Activator. I would happily pay for that ability but there is nothing in the app store that has the same functionality. On jailbroken phones Activator is free.

These 4 reasons alone make my iPhone use a much more satisfying experience, yet they can't be done under Apple's lockdown. So I'll jailbreak without hesitation.
  • Reply 51 of 178
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    For me to jailbreak I would have to see something I MUST HAVE, which APPLE doesn't offer.

By the way being that APPLE licenses the software by jailbreaking the Iphone you void the warranty.
  • Reply 52 of 178
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

By the way being that APPLE licenses the software by jailbreaking the Iphone you void the warranty.

Interesting... IANAL, so I must ask: can using the Safari browser void the warranty? Is this mentioned in the EULA?
  • Reply 53 of 178
    I think having Android hiking the bar up is great for competition. Makes for better consumer products whey they're trying to out do each other. Would Apple have even released their quasi-multitasking and other features if all they had to compete against was Palm? Or RIM? Or Nokia? Or Windows Mobile 6.5?

As for me running a Jailbroken iPhone. My must-have JB apps are:

1. Action Menu (sweet multiple clipboards of goodness)

2. MyWi 4.0 (tethering on a 5GB grandfathered in plan)

3. GV Mobile + (Multiple Google Voice accounts are crap without it, plus the web GV sucks)

4. AutoSilent (broke the damn silent switch on my 3G)

5. Backgrounder (works better than Apple's multitasking)

6. Rotation Inhibitor

And many more niceties. Apple killed WiFi Analyzer from the App Store and it doesn't run on iOS4, but WiFiFoFum works great.

Except for MyWi Apple could probably allow all of the above and AT&T wouldn't give a duck about it and it wouldn't cost Apple anything either.
  • Reply 54 of 178
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Better?

Are you joking? Especially with that first one... \
  • Reply 55 of 178
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trymee View Post

If for no other reason I would jailbreak my phone so that I can have a different SMS alert to the limited and rather hideous ones that Apple have imposed. In my group of friends it is nearly 100% iPhones - I want an SMS alert that is unique to me. Why Apple have not allowed such a basic action is beyond belief.

I can modify the carrier name to use their logo rather than a word. For a phone that is as much about aesthetic as functionality, you'd think carrier logo's would be standard.

iProtect - gives password access at app level so I can control what can & can't be opened. There is no app with the same functionality in the app store.

And then there's Activator - when you've configured this app and become accustomed to swipe or tap shortcuts it is painfully hard to go back to not having them. For example, at least twice daily I need to turn off the silent vibrate as well as sound - so I have to open home screen, find then open settings, open sounds flick two buttons and at least two home button presses to exit and then press the power button to sleep - or one swipe. So 4 times a day I have to go through either that laborious series of clicks or one swipe. That is just one of the shortcuts I have in Activator. I would happily pay for that ability but there is nothing in the app store that has the same functionality. On jailbroken phones Activator is free.

These 4 reasons alone make my iPhone use a much more satisfying experience, yet they can't be done under Apple's lockdown. So I'll jailbreak without hesitation.

I do agree with your last point but the other seem frivolous. The SMS looks like iChat which seems ok (a matter of preference) though it may be nice to have some customizations. I don't understand why the carrier name is a big deal and I don't understand the benefits of your third point.

To me the benefits of a jailbreak is that you get tethering, a carrier unlock to use your iPhone overseas and for widgets. Then again I'm a minimalist who wants the best available features without the complexity.
  • Reply 56 of 178
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Where is davesw on this? For the last few days all we've heard is how insecure Android is and how iOS is fortress. His silence speaks volumes.
  • Reply 57 of 178
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    To be fair he was talking tethering. The fact that AT&T charges you an extra $20 for the privilege of tethering - without increasing the 2 GB limit - is BS. The data is the same whether it goes through the phone or your computer. Why does AT&T give a rat's behind, other than they see the opportunity to get an extra 20 bucks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So your argument is that you should jailbreak your phone so that you can get access to services that you have not paid for? Thanks for confirming the common belief that people jailbreak their phones mostly so they can steal something.

• Reply 58 of 178
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Safari has more security flaws than the Death Star.

Stand by, stand by...
  • Reply 59 of 178
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Just curious, but is there an App on Cydia that's similar to LittleSnitch?

Disclaimer: I use it to monitor and control what's going in and out of my Mac, since I have an ultra-slow Internet connection.
  • Reply 60 of 178
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Doh.. hectic day at the office today Apple