Hackers release browser-based 'jailbreak' for iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 61 of 178
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I don't think I'm alone when I say that looks hideous.

You may not be alone, but definitely not everybody. I personally would not JB, but do like some of the ideas/apps that are available for those that do. Pet peeves imo - ios4 multitask is poor, yes it works, but very cumbersome(if it's just suspended, why is it in the tray, no option to only allow certain apps to multitask); no tethering(-20 bucks), some widgets or special home screen info, lack of alert customization.
  • Reply 62 of 178
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Just avoid visiting that website.

Yeah but if one website can gain root access using a zero-day exploit Apple haven't patched then other sites can too and steal all your data or worse like dialing out.

I'm picturing a lolcat in a browser window with the caption 'I is in ur browzer stealing ur contactz'.

I think this jailbreak release was delayed so that Apple wouldn't just patch it immediately and it would block the 4.01 updates.
  • Reply 63 of 178
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Even if you can trick Safari in to running your code, how come Safari is running as a user that can modify the OS files in the first place? Given Safari's (and other browsers) track record shouldn't it have a low privilege account?
  • Reply 64 of 178
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

Maybe the hack was written in HTML5?

I like your style!
  • Reply 65 of 178
    trymeetrymee Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I do agree with your last point but the other seem frivolous. The SMS looks like iChat which seems ok (a matter of preference) though it may be nice to have some customizations. I don't understand why the carrier name is a big deal and I don't understand the benefits of your third point.

To me the benefits of a jailbreak is that you get tethering, a carrier unlock to use your iPhone overseas and for widgets. Then again I'm a minimalist who wants the best available features without the complexity.

Agreed on the tethering and unlock, I have used them when travelling. Like you, my preference is to be able to do things as quickly as possible with the least amount of complexity - hence the use of Activator to make one swipe actions for something that would normally be 10 taps/swipes.

Believe me, when you're with a group of 10 iPhone users that all prefer the same SMS alert because it's the only decent one, the ability to have a unique alert is a godsend - when i receive one I know it's for me and everyone else is spared having to check if it was their phone!

The carrier logo makes enough of a difference to the look that nearly everyone comments on it - it was more about the fact that with a jailbroken phone, I have that choice. iProtect is one of those "horses for courses" - invariably people ask to look at your iPhone, I prefer the confidence of knowing that personal or confidential information that I may have in notes, Todo lists, photo's or particular apps cannot be accessed because they are password protected.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

So your argument is that you should jailbreak your phone so that you can get access to services that you have not paid for? Thanks for confirming the common belief that people jailbreak their phones mostly so they can steal something.

Contrary to your rather lame & narrow minded comment - not everyone jailbreaks to pirate or engage in illegal activity, I do so to give the iPhone I OWN, the functionality I want - and guess what, it's not illegal. I have paid for all the apps & media on my iPhone that attract a fee so I resent your generalisation. Perhaps you need to take the rose coloured glasses off because there's a whole big world outside of the one Steve wants you to see!
  • Reply 66 of 178
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Don't pee in your panties, jailbreakers. You're now allowed to post your rubbish.
  • Reply 67 of 178
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

ugh, it's silly that patents like this can exist. still, you're right.

we need patent law reform, especially for software.

I'm not against software patents. People make a wide swath on this issue when they choose to deliberately ignore the Human Interface Guidelines design of the UI and how it particularly interacts with the operator and then the actual code to use that seemingly straight forward action which does interact with sensors and more.

If Apple wrote a one-click like Amazon, then I'd agree. This patent is part of a particular design of real-time embedded environments and something entirely different than Amazon's link service via a Browser.

If you think no one is going to patent, and rightly so, control systems software and the UI design for say future space control panels you're crazy. They should get the patent on it.

The only way we ever get rid of Patents is if the world suddenly becomes Star Trek and the need to accumulate wealth has become obsolete.
  • Reply 68 of 178
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Wait until a real bad bug gets loose and pwns jailbroken iPhones along with user data, password, and account numbers.

I wonder who will get the blame? Is there any question who it will be? What will the trolls attack as an insecure, useless device? Who will the tech blogs go after? The iPhone Dev-Team? The ass hat users who compromised their phones? The malware author? Nope. We all know who they will go after don't we.

You know, I was just on Engadget and all them a**holes were saying they were JBing their iphone 4. Man what suckers. They have zero assurance that the stuff they're putting in their iphone ain't some special malware or virus.

The writing is on the wall. They are going to get so screwed!!!!!
  • Reply 69 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trymee View Post

Agreed on the tethering and unlock, I have used them when travelling. Like you, my preference is to be able to do things as quickly as possible with the least amount of complexity - hence the use of Activator to make one swipe actions for something that would normally be 10 taps/swipes.

Believe me, when you're with a group of 10 iPhone users that all prefer the same SMS alert because it's the only decent one, the ability to have a unique alert is a godsend - when i receive one I know it's for me and everyone else is spared having to check if it was their phone!

The carrier logo makes enough of a difference to the look that nearly everyone comments on it - it was more about the fact that with a jailbroken phone, I have that choice. iProtect is one of those "horses for courses" - invariably people ask to look at your iPhone, I prefer the confidence of knowing that personal or confidential information that I may have in notes, Todo lists, photo's or particular apps cannot be accessed because they are password protected.

Contrary to your rather lame & narrow minded comment - not everyone jailbreaks to pirate or engage in illegal activity, I do so to give the iPhone I OWN, the functionality I want - and guess what, it's not illegal. I have paid for all the apps & media on my iPhone that attract a fee so I resent your generalisation. Perhaps you need to take the rose coloured glasses off because there's a whole big world outside of the one Steve wants you to see!

Yeah, the ones that don't have the talent to make their own tech. You're argument is lame. You are the one that went to a site and downloaded code from people you don't know. That has fail all over it. Can you be certain that the sh** you used to JB your iphone ain't capturing and sending your sh** out to China? Russia? I hope you get taken for a fat ride.
  • Reply 70 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Umm, doesn't this mean that a malicious website could also "jailbreak" the iPhone and install a rootkit, then do really bad things with your phone, steal your information, call 976 numbers, and so on?

I'm all for jailbreaking the phone but it's a bit scary that you can run code in a browser to do it. This just waiting for someone to exploit some high profile commercial site and pwn hundreds of thousands of iPhones...

That is the plan!!!
  • Reply 71 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post

There have been worms in the past that have affected jailbroken phones (Remember the iPhones that got rick rolled?). While becoming infected with a virus or root-kit may be easily resolved by reloading the phones OS, the damage of all your contacts and pictures potentially being stolen, app store purchases, phone calls or sms messages to paid services is a little harder to undo so quickly. Especially if an virus that affects jailbroken phones also loads on an extra one that infects your computer when you connect your phone to it to try to reload the phone.

Not trying to fear monger, but as a rooted Android owner, I fully understand what the implications of my actions could entail, and if you are going to jailbreak, you cant sit back and believe there is an undo button if you get hit with a virus. You need to understand that you have compromised your security further, and you must take extra precautions to protect yourself that that average user would not take. Educating yourself as much as possible before doing such an activity will go a long ways, so don't just jailbreak because you can because it is so easy to do.

who are you going to go to with a JB iphone suffering a virus? Yo mama?Who made the exploit to JB the iphone? You don't fu***** know! Where are they from? You don't fu**** know!

Talk about Apple's security? Ha! The idiots that went to some damn clandestine website to install code to JB a phone are the biggest loser around here.
  • Reply 72 of 178
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb2017 View Post

I've JB two iPhone 4's and after the install is complete everything works fine. When you need to restart your iPhone 4 you lose two key features, FaceTime and MMS. I've heard you can do a restore to get it back but i've not been able too.. Let me know if anyone else has the same probs or has a work around

Depending on your definition of "everything" and "works" I suppose...

I wonder if I can mod my bumper to get neon undertray lighting effects...
  • Reply 73 of 178
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

To be fair he was talking tethering. The fact that AT&T charges you an extra $20 for the privilege of tethering - without increasing the 2 GB limit - is BS. The data is the same whether it goes through the phone or your computer. Why does AT&T give a rat's behind, other than they see the opportunity to get an extra 20 bucks.

Who cares about whether you think it's fair or not?

AT&T gives you a contract. You agree to the contract. The contract does not allow tethering.

You have 2 choices:

1. Choose a different carrier (and phone).

2. Obtain an iPhone with AT&T contract under false pretenses and violate the contract.

Sorry, but #2 is completely unethical and tantamount to theft. You're taking a service you didn't pay for.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

who are you going to go to with a JB iphone suffering a virus? Yo mama?Who made the exploit to JB the iphone? You don't fu***** know! Where are they from? You don't fu**** know!

Talk about Apple's security? Ha! The idiots that went to some damn clandestine website to install code to JB a phone are the biggest loser around here.

They'll go to Apple, of course. And then they'll write their impassioned pleas in their silly little blogs that the iPhone is junk.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

1) It starts downloading the jailbreak software witha progress bar

2) Once downloaded, it presents another status bar to show the installation process

3) After that, it presents a message saying jailbreak was successful.

4) It then adds Cydia to your homescreen

5) You're done. It doesn't even force you to reboot

That looks like a serious problem. Safari shouldn't have access to root. I'm sure it will be addressed, so enjoy your jailbreaking now.

Quote:

it's unfair to be charged for tethering. there are no longer any unlimited data plans with at&t. if you stay below your data quota, you are using the same amount of data, why should you have to pay extra to tether your device? why pay a monthly fee to unlock a feature that costs the phone company $0? it's highway robbery.

phone companies should WANT you to tether, then you have a better chance of running over your data quota and then they can charge you outrageous overage fees.

If phone companies want you to tether, why don't they allow it? Seems to me that AT&T knows what it wants more than you do?

Is it fair? Who knows? But you signed a contract with AT&T saying that you could not tether. If you don't like it, get your phone service from someone else. It's not like AT&T is the only phone company on the planet.

Quote:

i find it disturbing how against jailbreaking the appleinsider community is. there is no potential for permanent phone damage, and it doesn't even void your warranty because you can just restore to an official firmware and there's no way apple can know that you jailbroke your phone.

Really? No one ever bricked a phone by jailbreaking it? No one opened their phone up to malware by jailbreaking?

And no one ever took a jailbroken phone to an Apple Store to ask for help - causing Apple to spend time and money on it?

Apple reported that the cost of jailbreaking is significant. They shouldn't have to deal with that. The rest of us shouldn't have to deal with crap like the reports of malware on the iPhone - malware that only got there by jailbreaking the phone. It makes the iPhone look insecure.
  • Reply 74 of 178
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Woohoo, have been without MyWi since iOS 4's release., it's the only reason I ever found to jailbreak my iPhone.

Thank you iPhone Dev team!
  • Reply 75 of 178
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah but if one website can gain root access using a zero-day exploit Apple haven't patched then other sites can too and steal all your data or worse like dialing out.

I'm picturing a lolcat in a browser window with the caption 'I is in ur browzer stealing ur contactz'.

I think this jailbreak release was delayed so that Apple wouldn't just patch it immediately and it would block the 4.01 updates.

It doesn't gain root access.
  • Reply 76 of 178
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Wow they keep making this easier and easier...........
  • Reply 77 of 178
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    I've got a 3GS w/ 4.01 and I got boot neuter and ultrasn0w but bootneuter bombs out and I can't seem to find the run option for ultrasn0w to unlock my phone - little help please?

Thanks!
  • Reply 78 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Safari has more security flaws than the Death Star.

Stand by, stand by...

So you're saying it has a small hole only a Jedi could hit?
  • Reply 79 of 178
    All I can say is wow...just wow. The fact that something like this can run straight from a web browser is unbelievable to say the least. Makes me wonder how much of apples security is "perceived" and only waiting for somebody to take advantage.

If I was steve jobs, there's be a crap storm this morning in the safari team office
  • Reply 80 of 178
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

All I can say is wow...just wow. The fact that something like this can run straight from a web browser is unbelievable to say the least. Makes me wonder how much of apples security is "perceived" and only waiting for somebody to take advantage.

If I was steve jobs, there's be a crap storm this morning in the safari team office

exactly my thoughts......the last thread was about Android security but Apple better take a long hard look at iOS 4 and Safari........if they can jailbreak it that easily through the browser......imagine if they hijacked a web page and simulated normal activity and you unknowingly gave up all info on your phone....