RIM plans to counter Apple's iPad with 'Blackpad' in November

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The person I was replying to was bemoaning the fact that other companies lack the dev tool quality and app distribution platform of Apple. I was claiming that MS (with Visual Studio) and Google (with their extensive server side experience) could get together and solve this. I wasn't claiming they had the hardware design skills of Apple, or even discussing hardware at all.

You're right, I'm sorry that I quoted you out of context. Still, you cannot take the hardware out of the equation. The App store would not have existed without the brilliant hardware to run the apps on. Sadly, neither Google nor MS have provided a match to the hardware of the iPhone to speak of.
  • Reply 102 of 112
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

First up does RIM have a solution to have their so-called tablet play nice with a pc? I don't think so. ipad is the child of OSX.

Next up, will RIM have a built from the ground, 100% fingerable productivity suite like iworks for ipad? Hell no!!!!!

Will RIM have their version of ibooks,itunes and app store that all integrate like water accepting water?

Hell no!!!!

End of sermon. Can I get an amen!!!!!

HHHHHHHAAAAAUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Are iBooks and iTunes really a selling point for corporate users?

RiM already has desktop software for managing Blackberries. You can also already view and edit Microsoft Office files on a Blackberry. The Blackberry is a proven business tool. The iPad might be better, but I don't think you should so quickly dismiss a tablet from RiM.
  • Reply 103 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Most of the ones in my organization love their BBs due to easy email scrolling response

Is that with the sad looking little thumbweheel on the side lol?
  • Reply 104 of 112
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    If it were April this story would make sense.
  • Reply 105 of 112
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Hmmm, Blackpad, Hmmm, ---- Well, I guess the fonts will be white then?! Or will it be a completely black pad. In this case they wouldn't really need an APP store.
  • Reply 106 of 112
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Here is a sure fire advice for RIM in order to counter Apple and the iGadgets. Don't think about it, don't even change your company's direction because of that. You want to compete, compete against the stagnation of your company, have somebody with a vision to direct your company and it's products to innovate to the future, for the future. Compete for your customers and your vendors. Ignore what others want you to do. Make them think and guess and ignore them. Apple is succeeding not because of hype. It is because they have a leader and people around him who have a clear vision on where to take Apple and it's customers. Compete against the old RIM and get their customers to embrace the new RIM. Do that and you have competed against Apple.
  • Reply 107 of 112
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Sadly, neither Google nor MS have provided a match to the hardware of the iPhone to speak of.

Absolutely. When Apple's new design comes out, suddenly everything else in the field looks dated. Even the ones with better specs! It's a real talent.
  • Reply 108 of 112
    dean812dean812 Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Prediction: The RIM BlackPad Will Crash And Burn Just Like The Storm

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/07/30...ike-the-storm/

AMEN!!!! No one can touch the iPad OR the iPhone for that matter!
  • Reply 109 of 112
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Interested to see if they actually managed to convince carriers of free coupling with a BB phone. You can bet Apple would do it if AT&T let them.

I would bet the opposite. That would harm sales of 3G iPads. It would also kill the iPhone batteries if operated as hotspots for the iPad.

Thompson
  • Reply 110 of 112
    Here's why RIM may well succeed with a tablet in the enterprise market. They have Blackberry Enterprise Server, which integrates into Groupwise, Exchange, or any other corporate environment you care to name.

BES is the killer app of RIM devices. There's a reason the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and India are working on banning Blackberries; because BES is that good.
  • Reply 111 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daemonk View Post

BES is the killer app of RIM devices. There's a reason the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and India are working on banning Blackberries; because BES is that good.

You should read an article before coming to a conclusion.
  • Reply 112 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You should read an article before coming to a conclusion.

If you have an article in mind, please reference it. I'll refer you to The Economist.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Economist

THE United Arab Emirates announced on August 1st that it had failed to reach an agreement on data traffic with Research in Motion, maker of the BlackBerry, and would suspend messenger, e-mail and web-browsing services on BlackBerrys from October 11th. There are lots of smart-phones in the world that handle e-mail and web browsing; why pick on BlackBerry?

[...]

The only loophole left was BlackBerry service which, like a VPN, encrypts its data to make them readable only on the device and at the server.

Apple doesn't offer that kind of business infrastructure, since they focus on the consumer market. BB's encryption on the other hand is sufficiently strong, 256 bit AES to be precise, that the secret services of these countries cannot crack messages, even if they do manage to intercept them.