Why google really annoys me

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why does google have to hack their products? I just got on youtube and now have to deal with a sliding menu across the bottom of the page. if you browse your mouse near it the menu automatically pops up. There is no preference setting for this, and the only way to turn it off is manually. It is annoying. Also there is an autoplay switch that is turned on every time you load a new video. If you don't turn it off video will just keep playing. What the hell is wrong with you google programmers over there!?!??!

I am really annoyed at this. Youtube has been a pretty well conceived web application. Now since google bought it the site is just becoming annoying to use.

I really wish and still think Apple should have bought this company and its Youtube website. Apple could have used Youtube to further there mpg and HTML future. What did Youtube sell for? 2 billion? That seems like a bargain considering Apple war chest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Google sucks
  • Reply 2 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

Why does google have to hack their products? I just got on youtube and now have to deal with a sliding menu across the bottom of the page. if you browse your mouse near it the menu automatically pops up. There is no preference setting for this, and the only way to turn it off is manually. It is annoying. Also there is an autoplay switch that is turned on every time you load a new video. If you don't turn it off video will just keep playing. What the hell is wrong with you google programmers over there!?!??!

I am really annoyed at this. Youtube has been a pretty well conceived web application. Now since google bought it the site is just becoming annoying to use.

I really wish and still think Apple should have bought this company and its Youtube website. Apple could have used Youtube to further there mpg and HTML future. What did Youtube sell for? 2 billion? That seems like a bargain considering Apple war chest.

Google products are in permanent beta.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    I still don't like what they did to the ratings system. I can't tell if a video sucks or not just by glancing at it and they keep putting crappy ones in the related items lists instead of prioritizing good videos.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Google sucks

I just did a search on that:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Google+sucks

About 4,250,000 results in 0.33 seconds.

If 4,250,000 nincompoops say it, then it must be true...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I just did a search on that:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Google+sucks

About 4,250,000 results in 0.33 seconds.

If 4,250,000 nincompoops say it, then it must be true...

Actually, Sir you suck The correct search term would be "Google sucks" (with the quotation marks) which gives you only 137,000 results, and to be honest google doesn't suck so bad.

What would you do without gmail, google earth/maps or the google search page? They basically make the pc-world bearable.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

Actually, Sir you suck The correct search term would be "Google sucks" (with the quotation marks) which gives you only 137,000 results, and to be honest google doesn't suck so bad.

What would you do without gmail, google earth/maps or the google search page? They basically make the pc-world bearable.

Good one, smart guy. I omitted the quotation marks only to make the link look better. Four million or a hundred thousand, it doesn't really matter, because it is an opinionated and emotional exclamation by someone unable to appreciate how Google has revolutionized the Internet.

So you saw my intentional error, but failed to see that I was ridiculing the ones saying "Google sucks". Really? If I thought Google sucked, would I be Googling in order to prove it?

I never seem to get the benefit of the doubt around these forums...

PS. Here's the corrected link:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Google+sucks%22
  • Reply 7 of 11
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Good one, smart guy. I omitted the quotation marks only to make the link look better. Four million or a hundred thousand, it doesn't really matter, because it is an opinionated and emotional exclamation by someone unable to appreciate how Google has revolutionized the Internet.

So you saw my intentional error, but failed to see that I was ridiculing the ones saying "Google sucks". Really? If I thought Google sucked, would I be Googling in order to prove it?

I never seem to get the benefit of the doubt around these forums...

PS. Here's the corrected link:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Google+sucks%22

lol, got it now...i should have replied to the original "google sucks" poster instead

True what you say, I also never got why google sucks. I fucking love everything google does.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

Autoplay is annoying, I'm surprised there isn't a user-adjustable setting for this.

I think the solution is to jump to some other site. I like Vimeo more, though I haven't really abandoned YouTube. You can also try to use an iOS device to play a YouTube video.

The problem with Apple and YouTube is that there isn't a reason for it to happen. Apple really didn't have an infrastructure to make YouTube profitable. I'd rather Apple stick to what it knows best.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Google products are in permanent beta.

Ding! Ding! Ding! This is the correct answer. The company is run by geeks.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by judojue View Post

What annoys me is the fact that everyone gets its information from google, there are no other search engines used anymore, not even other resources of information such as real ecyclopedias are used by people. So if only google offers the information, it can become also an intrument for manipulation.

The information is out there -- go and get it. Google aren't stopping you.

It would be intrumental in your case to grab a dictionary along with the ecyclopedia.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    How about trying to use the queue feature on YouTube?

Or trying to navigate the Google webmaster tools