'Jailbreak' issues addressed, hack allows iPhone 4 FaceTime over 3G

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

I hope that every such incident is investigated, & if this hack facilitated the "Face Time" experience while driving, the genius "hacker" will have a small taste of misery as he defends himself over & over & over again in lawsuits claiming contributory negligence. Hundreds or Thousands of people would pursue every penny he has or ever hopes to have as judgment after judgement is handed down against him. Remember, civil cases are decided by people who, based on the information & pictures of the mayhem, decide what they 'feel' is right. Good Luck Charlie Brown!

If the hacker doesn't fix his little program, there are very, very hungry attorneys out there who will hunt him down for the possible pot-of-gold in his pockets, & will do so gladly, because they get half!

I don't know why I am bothering to reply, but just wanted to point out that under your rather convoluted logic, every mobile phone vendor would be liable for any harm caused while making a phone call, sending a text message, or doing pretty much anything with the device under the same circumstances.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    kyle76kyle76 Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

What Apple said - and intentionally used such wording - is that it may void the warranty.

If the company doing the warranty repair is the same company making the determination as to whether the warranty is voided, I'd say you're in deep doo doo.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

If you are on the 250MB or 2GB Data plan, get ready to cough over some big bucks. This App will suck up all your data usage. AT&T is probably happy with this.

For those of you that still have the unlimited data plans, read your contract very carefully. Any breach on your part may result in you forfeiting your unlimited plan.

Fring is already over 3G and yes its buggy but it still work 80% of the time and AT&T has said anything about it....so i dont see why facetime would be any different especially since u have to know someone who has an iPhone 4 to still use unlike Fring.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Once again, we have to break into our own phones to add functionality that should have been there from the start.

Way to go Apple. I love your Macs, but I still think you are doo-doo heads when it comes to your iOS division.

Go try it first.. realize that it doesn't actually work, then come on back and question why apple didn't include it yet.

Apple doesn't put half assed features that don't work into their products. Everyone knows this, so don't expect different.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    I've tried it, and FaceTime can work very well over 3G. It all depends on your connection. As for the data plan, some of us still have unlimited data plans. It's not something we'd do all day, every day, but there are times when you're someplace really cool and want to show someone what's going on live.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    They're not. Visa is supervising the warrant repair and Apple is performing
  • Reply 27 of 37
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Actually, what you download can have official code from Apple and still be legal under copyright law. Using Apple's code would like be deemed a fair-use under the copyright laws. You downloading patented software wouldn't likely get you in trouble. Further, any software I download from anywhere contains inherent risks. So does going to work in the morning.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I know it's a picky point and that everyone else is doing the same thing, but I wish you guys would stop posting this statement. It's not actually true.

It's only legal to jailbreak your phone under certain very specific conditions. It's just not the case that jailbreaking is "100% legal" now at all.

In this situation for instance, you are advising people to go to a website and download some code that they know nothing about or who made it or anything, and install it on the phone after jailbreaking. This is legal (although basically a crazy-stupid thing to do), only if the code you just advised people to download is a legal app that uses no code from Apple or other companies and is not encumbered by any patents etc. It *might* be that this is the case, but you don't know it to be so, and no one else does at this point either.

So you are not only publicly advising hordes of people do very questionable things with their phones in terms of the security risk, you don't even know if it's legal.

I know everyone is excited this weekend and the nerd-spittle is flying as each blog poster tries to install this stuff faster than the next and post some lame-ass "report" to the web on what they found, but I thought this site might at least take the high road and act a little more professional about the whole thing.

A lot of folks come here that are not technically inclined at all. Sending them to a questionable site to install questionable code on their phones without knowing what will happen or if the site is legit is a really stupid and irresponsible thing to do. The only reason you're even doing it, is because "all the other sites are doing it" and you don't want to seem uncool by not doing the same. The trouble is this makes you automatically lame to begin with.

• Reply 28 of 37
    sudzsudz Posts: 10member
    An Iphone can and should have the ability to text message as it is a great communication tool, however people need to put a limitation on the fact we cannot drive and text message at the same time. Facetime is another great aspect of a communication device, a good limitation would be to not to do so while driving. Both texting and facebook should be available through 3G, no hardware limitation at all. The Iphone cannot distinguish whether the person is driving or not with an accelerometer for text or video, the person can be in the back seat and sending text or video from a passenger perspective is a good use even if the vehicle is moving.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to jailbreak, however facetime through 3G should have been included out of the box. I bet is will be very similar to tethering in the past, wasn't really that it could not be done just that Apple wanted to ease the strain on the 3G networks at the beginning. We'll get the same thing with facetime, once the networks become stable enough after the rollout, Apple will do the right thing to differentiate it's product over other manufacturers offerings. Right now just having people sending highdef pictures and video's will add to the network traffic, in six months facetime will add to that congestion / traffic.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Actually, what you download can have official code from Apple and still be legal under copyright law. Using Apple's code would like be deemed a fair-use under the copyright laws. You downloading patented software wouldn't likely get you in trouble. Further, any software I download from anywhere contains inherent risks. So does going to work in the morning.

Afraid you are dead wrong on this one. If you bought the software and modified it for your own use that would PROBABLY be acceptable, but you can't modify the software and then make it available to anyone else legally.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Once again, we have to break into our own phones to add functionality that should have been there from the start.

Way to go Apple. I love your Macs, but I still think you are doo-doo heads when it comes to your iOS division.

The above just proves the point about the ignorance of those that have that entitlement issue.

Apple is spending time to get it right so it doesn't "suck" on both the bandwidth and user-experience sides. But no, you want it now, now, now. Well, you'll get it and sure enough... you'll use it for a couple minutes, realize how horrible the performance will be, and then your ADHD affliction will have you once again distracted to the next "gotta have" 5-minute thing.

I suppose it's irrelevant anyway. You'll blame Apple no matter what happens. In the meantime, you'll end up ruining it for the other users since AT&T's network is already bogged-down with other bandwidth issues. But then again, it's all about you right?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

FaceTime over 3G? No thanks.

Got no WiFi where you're at but want to talk to family overseas? FaceTime over 3G? Yes thanks!
  • Reply 32 of 37
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Ah-mazin. This is what you get ATT for not letting customers do what they want. Even international customers got tethering etc a lot quicker and I think cheaper then us. Verizon is offering up free tethering (I think that might change soon).

I hope this will send a signal to ATT that if it wants to keep subscribers they need to step up to the plate, but also to APPL so that they branch out to other carriers as soon as possible, GSM or otherwise.

There might be some App store policy and security consequences with this, but I don't want to kick any more oft beat up horses, as it were.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    I think you'll find that if you jailbreak your iPhone 4 and basically kill its functionality, and then take it to the Apple Store for fixing, that they'll first try to restore it to its stock condition. If they're successful in restoring the firmware, they'll see if they can reproduce the issue you're having a problem with, and go from there.

If they can't restore the firmware and iOS to its stock configuration to determine if there's actually anything wrong with your iPhone other than you bricked it, they'll hand you back your iPhone and send you on your way. The government may have agreed that you bought the iPhone and it's yours, but they didn't say Apple has to fix it if you break it beyond Apple's ability to fix it under the contractual terms you agreed to when you purchased it.

You jailbreak at your own risk, so be careful what you wish for. It's a $500/$600 piece of hardware that you signed an agreement to pay AT&T monthly to use for two years. If you can no longer use it for its designed purpose, you'll still be on the hook to AT&T for the rest of your contract.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

I think you'll find that if you jailbreak your iPhone 4 and basically kill its functionality, and then take it to the Apple Store for fixing, that they'll first try to restore it to its stock condition. If they're successful in restoring the firmware, they'll see if they can reproduce the issue you're having a problem with, and go from there.

If they can't restore the firmware and iOS to its stock configuration to determine if there's actually anything wrong with your iPhone other than you bricked it, they'll hand you back your iPhone and send you on your way. The government may have agreed that you bought the iPhone and it's yours, but they didn't say Apple has to fix it if you break it beyond Apple's ability to fix it under the contractual terms you agreed to when you purchased it.

You jailbreak at your own risk, so be careful what you wish for. It's a $500/$600 piece of hardware that you signed an agreement to pay AT&T monthly to use for two years. If you can no longer use it for its designed purpose, you'll still be on the hook to AT&T for the rest of your contract.

It's actually pretty easy to restore a bricked iPhone or iPod touch.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post

It's a $500/$600 piece of hardware that you signed an agreement to pay AT&T monthly to use for two years. If you can no longer use it for its designed purpose, you'll still be on the hook to AT&T for the rest of your contract.

Pretty sure I never signed or agreed to anything with AT&T. It really gets irritating to constantly see a reference that all iPhone owners are AT&T customers. I recommend you get access to a world map and absorb that there are other places - with people, even - outside the USA. Even in the USA, there are plenty of iPhone users who aren't AT&T customers.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    The internet is open source. This is an example of open source at it's finest, going onto people's systems and playing around with them by just a finger. This dev was nice he gave TWO choices before it finally went to install that virus known as Cydia. Of course some may not be as nice.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomas Gilling View Post

The internet is open source. This is an example of open source at it's finest, going onto people's systems and playing around with them by just a finger. This dev was nice he gave TWO choices before it finally went to install that virus known as Cydia. Of course some may not be as nice.

Hope you weren't serious about your comment. Cydia is not a virus. It isn't much more than a standard apt-get Debian software manager. It is a stand-alone application that merely does its job of installing and managing the non-approved software a user wishes to run on their phone.

Yes, this is a pretty severe security hole, but apparently its not an uncommon one. The particular method used had already been fixed in the desktop Mac OS X, which shares similar libraries with its iOS cousin.

If you want to preserve this ability to jailbreak, have Cydia save your SHSH blobs, or use FW Umbrella (google it) to save it for you without jailbreaking your device. That way, if you ever change your mind at a future date, you can always downgrade and run it.