Nielson: Android flourished before iPhone 4, but Apple 'most desired'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

She has had the G1 for about three years and has yet to download a single app or even use half of the built in apps.

Just an FYI, the T-Mobile/HTC Dream has been out for under 2 years in the US.
  • Reply 22 of 126
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How's that lawsuit against Gizmodo going?

Search warrant against Chen was withdrawn. Right before Jul 16.
  • Reply 23 of 126
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Apple is doing very well considering they're only on AT&T in the US. And I doubt they will ever make a CDMA-compatible iPhone for Verizon, Sprint, and a few Asian carriers. My gut feeling is that Steve wants to avoid the complexity of 1. dual assembly lines for separate GSM and CDMA iPhones and 2. dual mode iPhone with combined GSM / CDMA hardware.

By 2012 the real packet-switched all-IP 4G network will be rolled out, and from what I understand, all carriers will use exactly the same protocol. And, if the stories of a 5-year exclusivity deal with AT&T are true, that deal should end in 2012. So it just feels like Apple is rope-a-doping criticism for a few more years.

Also, in the iPhone 6 (or whatever it will be called) time frame, there will be an immense amount of pent-up iPhone lust in Verizon customers. It will be interesting to see how many users switch from Android etc. to iPhone whenever iPhone is finally available on Verizon...
  • Reply 24 of 126
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just an FYI, the T-Mobile/HTC Dream has been out for under 2 years in the US.

So two years then, which means the battery is really even crappier than I thought if it can't last even 2 years.
  • Reply 25 of 126
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I'm sure many people held off buying an iPhone waiting for iPhone 4. The leaks probably cost Apple more than a million sales.

how do you figure that? What data did you base that on? Where did you come up with that number?
  • Reply 26 of 126
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    when roughly 25+ countries have all purchased the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 27 of 126
    It amazes me that EVERYTIME another cellphone or cellphone platform (like in this case) comes up and beat the iphone, it's always some media outlet or some brainwashed Apple Lover saying "But ....." The thing is Apple is not perfect and nor is Android. As we found out with Apple's Antenna problem. Apple slightly acknowledged their problem but at the end Jobs said we have a problem BUT these phones have the same problem also. Bad Bad Move. And for the record, yes I have a iPhone 4 and Sprint Evo. And I have to say that my bars don't drop on my Evo, calls don't drop, 3G service is great and for battery life I'm pulling 14-15 hours. Which may not be as good as the iphone but it gets the job done for me.

But nevertheless, now this article comes out and says Android passed the iphone But the iphone blah blah blah...The point is Android passed the iphone, so just deal with it.
  • Reply 28 of 126
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Search warrant against Chen was withdrawn. Right before Jul 16.

Except that had nothing to do with a civil lawsuit.
  • Reply 29 of 126
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Android is on a gazillion different handset on multiple carriers. It shouldn't be surprising that as a "collective" it'll outsell the iPhone. And it'll probably continue to do so.

The day a single Android device outsells the iPhone would truly be newsworthy.
  • Reply 30 of 126
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pirarre View Post

It amazes me that EVERYTIME another cellphone or cellphone platform (like in this case) comes up and beat the iphone, it's always some media outlet or some brainwashed Apple Lover saying "But ....." The thing is Apple is not perfect and nor is Android. As we found out with Apple's Antenna problem. Apple slightly acknowledged their problem but at the end Jobs said we have a problem BUT these phones have the same problem also. Bad Bad Move. And for the record, yes I have a iPhone 4 and Sprint Evo. And I have to say that my bars don't drop on my Evo, calls don't drop, 3G service is great and for battery life I'm pulling 14-15 hours. Which may not be as good as the iphone but it gets the job done for me.

But nevertheless, now this article comes out and says Android passed the iphone But the iphone blah blah blah...The point is Android passed the iphone, so just deal with it.

It's a snapshot in time. The fact your platform is less loyal than the iPhone should have you worried.

With the world-wide launch of iPhone 4 slowly rolling out, wake me after another Quarter and see just how the market goes. I'm betting Apple's iPhone 4 will dwarf estimates and continue to expand it's reach in both sales and profits.
  • Reply 31 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

So two years then, which means the battery is really even crappier than I thought if it can't last even 2 years.

They all might be like that but it could be an odd faulty battery. This will happen with all such devices and I wouldn’t hold a product responsible unless there is proof that they choose an inferior battery for the device to cut costs.
  • Reply 32 of 126
    Quote:

... Since she already has an Android and wants to now get an iPhone without even so much as looking at one, just based on hearsay, kind of exemplifies my point.

I think the low- to no-tech market is where Apple is aiming their iPhone marketing message now. All the iPhone 4 TV spots are about FaceTime, and they all show how people can share moments in their lives. It's no longer what tasks your iPhone helps you accomplish, it's what emotions your iPhone helps you feel.

This is exactly the opposite of the current Android ads. With uber-macho fake robot arms poking at Android devices, or 20-something males' eyes morphing into red HAL 9000 video cameras. Few if any of the Android ads have any connection to users' humanity.

Apple already has such huge mindshare that they can sell iDevices without quoting specs or prices or showing red and blue coverage maps. All they need to do is show how their iDevices improve their users' lives. And that has made a huge impact on the general public. Not just the techno-nerds. Very few technology companies have ever achieved that.
  • Reply 33 of 126
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    As usual, these types of analysts reports are meaningless drivel. First, Android has more sales channels. There are a finite number of people who buy new phones each year. Some of those people will buy the iPhone. Others will not. End of report.
  • Reply 34 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It's a snapshot in time. The fact your platform is less loyal than the iPhone should have you worried.

With the world-wide launch of iPhone 4 slowly rolling out, wake me after another Quarter and see just how the market goes. I'm betting Apple's iPhone 4 will dwarf estimates and continue to expand it's reach in both sales and profits.

By 2012, we'll see iPhone 6 (or whatever it's called) on Verizon, Sprint, and maybe a whole lot more US-based carriers. Android will be competing directly against iPhone on Verizon by then, because all carriers will be running the true all-IP packet-switched 4G protocol.

And guess what will happen. We'll see mass defections from Android to iPhone. Guaranteed. Only the philosophically challenged "freetards" will stay on Android.

Oh, and one more thing. There is no Android-based competitor to the iPod touch. And iPod touch sales are roughly the same as iPhone sales. So if you look at overall iOS device sales, even excluding iPad, iOS is still far ahead of Android.
  • Reply 35 of 126
    bcs123bcs123 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pirarre;

One quarter isn't much to say anything about. More people bought android in a quarter when apples handset was almost a full year old, with a new one coming out. Android handset makers had been releasing lots of new phones of varying capability and prices. You may get tired of people defending apple, but I'm tired of how quickly so many people like you jump on them. It seems to me we're at a point where we'll see the pendulum swing back and forth as new phones are released, new operating systems hit the market and whatnot. I wouldn't be looking for this data to show any company going anywhere for awhile.
  • Reply 36 of 126
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The launch of Motorola's Droid, heavily promoted by Verizon as its alternative to AT&T's iPhone, helped stoke rapid "two for one" heavily subsidized handset sales tied to record high cancelation fees.

Really, Daniel? Was that last bit really necessary? True though it may be, it bears absolutely no relevance to the rest of your article and only serves to reinforce your reputation of trashing all things not Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I think Apple needs to start considering staggered releases throughout the year.

How about ATT/T-Mobile iPhone in June, Verizon iPhone in October, Sprint iPhone in February?
  • Reply 37 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marktutone View Post

I would like to see the real network traffic comparison..

Are iphones accessing more network resources or is the android accessing more resources.

There might be more purchases of other platforms but are those platforms really being used like the iphone.

Unless iOS fixed the caching issue this may still apply:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...06#post1668106
  • Reply 38 of 126
    Wow. Sounds like the combined sales of HTC, Samsung, Motorola, LG, and others is greater than the sales of the iPhone by itself.

In other news, 1+1+1+1+1 > 4.

How surprising.
  • Reply 39 of 126
    Isn't Android an operating system where as iPhone is the actual phone? Can you really compare every device that has android to iPhone? I would assume you would compare android to iOS.. And motorola to apple.. Not Motorola, Nokia, HTC, etc. to Apple...

That's like saying what's a more popular gum.. Juicy Fruit or any other gum that's mint flavored..

Just seems like a pointless comparison.
  • Reply 40 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

One quarter isn't much to say anything about. More people bought android in a quarter when apples handset was almost a full year old, with a new one coming out. Android handset makers had been releasing lots of new phones of varying capability and prices. You may get tired of people defending apple, but I'm tired of how quickly so many people like you jump on them. It seems to me we're at a point where we'll see the pendulum swing back and forth as new phones are released, new operating systems hit the market and whatnot. I wouldn't be looking for this data to show any company going anywhere for awhile.

If I'm not mistaking, the iPhone has been out a lot longer then Android devices and the Android platform in general. Only time will tell. Like I said I have an iphone 4. But I'm just so tired of everybody thinking that this electronic device is the world and it has no faults, no problems etc.

All in all, it just depends on what the buyer wants. The iphone 4 is great device don't get me wrong. But something doesn't always stay on top. It's gonna be competition and it's gonna be other winners. But at the end give respect when respect is do. And Android in my opinion deserves the respect that a lot of people especially Apple Lovers fail to give.

Just my .2 Cents