Microsoft to launch Office for Mac 2011 in late October

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    jbh0001jbh0001 Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

You're jesting of course?

I thin he meant the Fisher-Price/pipe-cleaner style fo the "W X P O" of the logos. The underling message: Macs are mere toys -- not for serious work.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xamian View Post

Don't you mean three applications? Messenger is the fourth, but can be freely downloaded from Microsoft's website.

Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Entourage(Now Outlook) is 4... I think?
  • Reply 43 of 60
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Support for ODF in Office is terrible. http://www.odfalliance.org/blog/inde...t_falls_short/

No one expects support to really work though...if it did Microsoft would actually have to compete and they certainly do not want to that with their cash cow, Office

That's an article from May 2009, referring to Office 2007 SP2's support of ODF.

Maybe you should ask a beta tester of Office 2011 how ODF is handled before passing judgement.

The fact that ODF alliance only refers to Office 2007 SP2 and not Office 2008 or 2010 kind of ironically makes them seem pretty outdated themselves...
  • Reply 44 of 60
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:

Not sure what this has to do with my point. Can you elaborate?

People who say what i say are clued into the perils of vendor lock-in. While you may enjoy paying massive sums of cash to Microsoft for Office, I do not. i would rather invest my money in my people rather than pad Microsoft's bottom line by being locked into their proprietary file formats and protocols. If i create it, it is my data, not Microsoft's.

OK, fair enough... and you argue exactly the same principle for other types of 'lock-in', when the vendor is not Microsoft I assume?
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Will it include an iPad version?
  • Reply 46 of 60
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    "Finally, authorized academic stores will also sell a discounted version of the suite, dubbed Microsoft Office for Mac Academic 2011, for higher education students, staff and faculty. For $99, users get one installation including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Messenger and Outlook."

Before buying this, check with your school library. In some instances, MS Office, OS's, and other apps can be checked out overnight depending on the the schools purchasing contracts.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Because Office 2010 sold to Mac users.

I didn't mention any specific version of Office.

Why doesn't MS try to market Windows to Mac owners?
  • Reply 48 of 60
    mi_satmi_sat Posts: 39member
    Quote:

Not sure what this has to do with my point. Can you elaborate?

People who say what i say are clued into the perils of vendor lock-in. While you may enjoy paying massive sums of cash to Microsoft for Office, I do not. i would rather invest my money in my people rather than pad Microsoft's bottom line by being locked into their proprietary file formats and protocols. If i create it, it is my data, not Microsoft's.

So you must not use iTunes...? The Apple ecosystem is the best example of vendor lock-in there is.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

If computer icons make you want to vomit, then I think you have some serious issues.

Oh, I don't know. Let's run it by Don Draper and the boys.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    $99 for education? Last time I think I got it for something like $80 without education discount, but it was a weird set up. It was a promo that if you buy office 2004 (for a reduced price) you get 2008 for free, so I bought 04, sold it and then a couple of months later Office 08 launched and I got it in the mail fairly soon after. Hoping to see something like this this year.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Quote:

The 32-bit software suite will be available in 13 languages

Really? You playing this game on Macs Microsoft? You do realise you don't need to develop a 32 bit and a 64 bit version on Macs like you do in Windows you can build one version that works on both machines.

Don't these big companies have anyone who can count beyond 32? Of course this is the same company that thought no one would ever need more than 640KB of RAM.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Really? You playing this game on Macs Microsoft? You do realise you don't need to develop a 32 bit and a 64 bit version on Macs like you do in Windows you can build one version that works on both machines.

Don't these big companies have anyone who can count beyond 32? Of course this is the same company that thought no one would ever need more than 640KB of RAM.

Not sure what your point is...? Did you want them to release both 32 bit and 64 bit versions or not?
  • Reply 53 of 60
    bruinbruin Posts: 4member
    ...and no OneNote? That's the one program I've been missing since I've switched to a Mac. Lack of OneNote is a deal breaker for me...I guess I'm gonna stick to using OpenOffice for word processing and writing in a real notebook. Sigh
  • Reply 54 of 60
    xamianxamian Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Excel, Word, Powerpoint and Entourage(Now Outlook) is 4... I think?

Um...check again. The Home/Student version doesn't include Outlook. That's 3. Excel, Word, Powerpoint. No Entourage, no Outlook. You get to pay extra for that now.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xamian View Post

Um...check again. The Home/Student version doesn't include Outlook. That's 3. Excel, Word, Powerpoint. No Entourage, no Outlook. You get to pay extra for that now.

Previously, the Office 2008 Home/Student edition included a crippled Entourage with no Exchange client functionality. This caused confusion among people who work in schools that use Exchange server. If people wanted to connect to Exchange server, they had to buy the Office which included the other version of Entourage. Now there is only 1 version of Outlook for Mac. So if you have Outlook, you can connect to Exchange.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    xamianxamian Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Previously, the Office 2008 Home/Student edition included a crippled Entourage with no Exchange client functionality. This caused confusion among people who work in schools that use Exchange server. If people wanted to connect to Exchange server, they had to buy the Office which included the other version of Entourage. Now there is only 1 version of Outlook for Mac. So if you have Outlook, you can connect to Exchange.

Okay. I can understand that, but my point was that there was an email/calendar/contact management program included. Now there are only 3 programs (not including the freely available messenger). While this does put things on par with the Windows version (no Outlook), there is no longer any kind of email program included in Office, whereas there has been in the past. While I did not need the Exchange connection with Entourage, I have used it for the one-stop email/calendar/etc within one program instead of launching Mail/iCal/Address Book/etc separately. Mind you, I really like Mail & iCal...in fact, I kinda wish that Apple came out with a unified app for all these features.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    I had begun using MS Word in v. 5 with System 6, and liked it, was very proficient. But that is history. After being away from MS Office for eight years I had considered getting MS Office 2011. But not now. Why? Because it still does not support RTL languages, and that is essential for my work. This continues to make cross platform exchanging difficult. After eight years on OS X I thought that MS would finally get this right. But evidently feature parity is only a figment of our imagination.

How disappointing.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    No interest. I use iWork and Google Docs.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Not sure what your point is...? Did you want them to release both 32 bit and 64 bit versions or not?

I want them to release a 64 bit version period. The whole point of Snow Leopard frameworks was to allow the development of true 64 bit apps. These started to be introduced with Leopard so it's not like Microsoft was left in the dark about the progression Apple was taking and it wasn't like Apple hadn't provided the proper frameworks.

Instead Microsoft still insists on doing things their way just like Adobe and as a result give us poor products that are out of date as soon as they are released.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

No interest. I use iWork and Google Docs.

I'm with you except for the Google Docs thing. I tried it but it feels wrong. Hopefully it gets more powerful soon though.

Incidentally Office for Web isn't too bad.