Apple removes competitors' phones from iPhone 4 antenna page

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Apart from the blog Nokia wrote.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Nokia and RIM didn't seem to lie. I guess it's like that when you have a team of lawyers looking over ever word you write

• Reply 82 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Hey, why don't you change your name to Rohypnol...

...zzzz, zzzz, zzzz!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Ok, reality check here guys.

Go look at the Motorola Droid X video. No seriously, go look at it.

Check out how he is holding the phone. See his fingers? They're wrapped ENTIRELY around the device. Now tell me this, do you know of ANYONE who holds the phone like that while on a call? ANYONE. For one thing, his finger is COVERING the Mic (so he's not doing it for calls) and it's also covering the screen, so no web surfing like that either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJG7pbSRvJ8

The answer is no because he's holding the thing like a marathon stick not a phone. It's entirely un-natural.

Now go look up a video about the Iphone Antenna issue. Check how they are holding it. This is an entirely NATURAL position for a lot of users:

Cnet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGxENOp4XUQ

This is beyond the issue of "it only effected a few users" or "other people did it first."

For one, isn't apple supposed to be the superior company? Then why do the petty 4yr trick of "Jimmy does it TOOOO MOOOOM!" Secondly, the "jabs" other companies made were paper ads that had a funny one liner. What apple did would be akin to having ATT do a commercial where they took a verizon (or sprint/tmobile) phone, shoved it in a lead box and said "see? they drop signal too!"

It was poorly done by Apple, and petty to boot. If you're going to make the claim that other phones suffer from the same issues, you need to show the phones doing the same thing when held the same way.

• Reply 83 of 88
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Legal threats? Unlikely. More likely, the competitors agreed to stop reaming Apple in their advertising. It was turning into a war nobody wins.

Not so sure... just a few days ago I came across new Droid X advertise saying something like in line of "you can hold it anyway you like".

We know that every phone is influenced by some signal loss when being held (one way or another), but if Anandtech numbers were true, iPhone 4 was influenced significantly more than Nexus One. Coincidently, those were the only numbers I have seen published, and my major issue with Apple videos was that they didn't provide any numbers at all. Fancy that.

I would not be surprised if HTC, Motorola... did contact Apple in this regard. They would not have to go with formal legal threats, only to announce their response to Apple testing, this one backed up with numbers. I don't think it would look good for iPhone.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    badtuxbadtux Posts: 40member
    One of my early advertising gurus told me that one of the Iron Rules of advertising is, "never mention your competitors by name in your ads or documentation, it just gives them free advertising." The Apple antenna thing was incredibly petty and unprofessional, and violated a cardinal rule of advertising for no good reason other than to sooth the Steve's ego a bit that his phone was no more crappy than anybody else's phone. I mean, what was the message -- "all phones are crappy and the iPhone is no more crappy than the competition"? What kinda message is that? You're supposed to be highlighting where you're *better* than the competition, not where you're *as crappy* as the competition!
  • Reply 85 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by badtux View Post

One of my early advertising gurus told me that one of the Iron Rules of advertising is, "never mention your competitors by name in your ads or documentation, it just gives them free advertising." The Apple antenna thing was incredibly petty and unprofessional, and violated a cardinal rule of advertising for no good reason other than to sooth the Steve's ego a bit that his phone was no more crappy than anybody else's phone. I mean, what was the message -- "all phones are crappy and the iPhone is no more crappy than the competition"? What kinda message is that? You're supposed to be highlighting where you're *better* than the competition, not where you're *as crappy* as the competition!

It?s a good general rule not to mention your competitor. It?s not only because you?re giving them free advertising but also because it can be seen as an ?attack ad?, like we see in the US with any political campaign, which can make you look petty, but it?s not an absolute and there are valid times to use it.

Besides the comparative antenna videos Apple also used a competitors name with the Get a Mac ads, but note that they didn?t mention Windows, just a generic PC, until Vista?s general perception had turned bad.

The antenna page is pretty much the opposite end of the same thing. They were showing that they were not alone before the public perception turned bad for all time. It may have been too late or not needed at all, depending on your PoV, but it?s still a viable tactic for advertisers to consider.
  • Reply 86 of 88
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    apple simply don't need them any more. iPhone 4 antenna performance is great when on a decent network.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You want scientific?

Observation 6. Subject A using iPhone 4 B, Virgin Australia SIM card on the Optus network 5 bars showing.

Touching the point resulted in 5 bars showing.

Conclusion

Touching the bottom left corner of an iPhone 4 in such a way that the two pieces of metal on either side of a black dividing strip are connected via a finger tip has no observable effect on the iPhone 4's reception.

Strong conclusion if you only tried it in areas and networks with good coverage as your post would imply. Try again with poor coverage (say 2-3 bars). If there's still no effect, then IP4 doesn't have the issue (perhaps fixed after a faulty first batch).

Like someone suggested, the FM radio analogy is a valid one. Try the FM thing in a good reception are vs. poor reception. You'll notice a big difference.

Moving a finger is a mute point if your call has already dropped because you put your finger in the wrong place.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 88 of 88
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

So it's not an issue, then what is Apple hiding jahonen talking about that you're so supportive? It is time to move on but some people still hellbent on clinging to it.

I'm not sure how else I can explain it. You seem like a very confused individual.