Rumored iTunes cloud service could be delayed further

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Mired in licensing issues, Apple's rumored full-scale cloud music service might be further down the line than previously thought. A limited feature service could be released by the end of the year.

Sources told CNet that if 'in the cloud' music features from Apple are released in the next few months, they will probably be "modest in scope," rather than more robust offerings as previously rumored.

After Apple purchased the online music streaming service LaLa late last year, speculation about the possibility of an iTunes streaming service increased. In January, one music industry veteran went on record saying that an upcoming version of iTunes would make users' iTunes libraries "available from any browser or net connected ipod/touch/tablet."

Although CNet claims that causes for the delay remain unclear, licensing issues and personnel changes may be a large part of the problem. According to the report, Apple "still hasn't obtained the licenses needed to store or distribute music from the cloud."

Additionally, music industry sources said Monday that "one of Lala's four founding members, someone who moved to Apple after the acquisition, has recently left the company."

These delays could cost Apple if Google can launch a competing service first. Although the Mountain View, Calif.-based company has partnered with music streaming services in the past, it has yet to launch a full-featured cloud music service. CNet's sources report that "Google's music attempts have never appeared this concrete before."

On the other hand, positive evidence that the project remains on track can be found by looking at Apple's $1 billion North Carolina server farm project. Several analysts are predicting that the project is being built specifically for a cloud media service. In July, Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer announced that the server farm is "on schedule" to open by the end of the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    How can you delay something that is rumoured?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Sounds like the white iPhone. A new Apple talent!
  • Reply 3 of 24
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    How can something with no official confirmation or release date be "delayed"?

An ongoing process might be getting more complicated for Apple, but that isn't a delay. If a date isn't announced, then it can't be postponed.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

How can something with no official confirmation or release date be "delayed"?

An ongoing process might be getting more complicated for Apple, but that isn't a delay. If a date isn't announced, then it can't be postponed.

The sky could Vaal. Apple could buy Ms. I hate these "could" articles.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    And you think ATT's network is strained now!

And if it's limited to wi-fi only (at first), there really won't be much point, in my opinion. Anything that connects only by wi-fi already has all my music on it. And that's the way I'd want it because I still want my music when I'm not on wi-fi.

But, since it's only rumored and there's no info on how it would work, bit-rates available, etc, I'll reserve judgement. I just don't see how Apple, who has consistently rejected offering a streaming service, will make this an attractive offering (although as a backup method for my iTunes media so I don't have to keep safe backups of terabytes of data, that would potentially be of interest for a reasonable price).
  • Reply 6 of 24
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

The sky could Vaal. Apple could buy Ms. I hate these "could" articles.

oh I so wish apple bought microsoft.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Google doesn't have iTunes on 100 million computers. I doubt they would see much benefit of being first.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    I know Apple needs rights for streaming etc...

... but really, if Apple lets me "backup" my music to the cloud, would that be illegal?

If they let me "restore" my music to my computer or iPhone or AppleTV (but only to devices that regular syncing would sync to), would that require a new deal? I'm not talking about streaming, I'm talking about downloading my song as a restore (and playing it as it downloads), and keeping it on my device for a while afterwards. Much the same as a rental movie works today.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Release it! I kept my Grandfathered iPhone data plan for this. I already am using 3GBs a month of AT&T's bandwidth to stream Internet radio. I Want More!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    parsecparsec Posts: 37member
    I bet Apple will find it harder to set up this type of service than the competition because the record labels will fight against giving Apple so much control a second time, that might be the cause of the licensing issues.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    well at least SOMEONE is using xserve's, even if it's Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I know Apple needs rights for streaming etc...

... but really, if Apple lets me "backup" my music to the cloud, would that be illegal?

If they let me "restore" my music to my computer or iPhone or AppleTV (but only to devices that regular syncing would sync to), would that require a new deal? I'm not talking about streaming, I'm talking about downloading my song as a restore (and playing it as it downloads), and keeping it on my device for a while afterwards. Much the same as a rental movie works today.

Only if you promise to rip your music at 128 kbps or less.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Google doesn't have iTunes on 100 million computers. I doubt they would see much benefit of being first.

No, your right. But they have their search engine and front end available to about 2 billion, give or take a couple of million.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Apple could buy Ms.

No Apple should buy Google. Their stock is cheap right now .

Annother question. should I buy Mobileme now or should I wait?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    I think the server farm will be used for an all-in media streaming outlet including Apple TV, iTunes etc.

I wonder if Apple will also reinvent mobileme to provide a tiered free-to-paid service which is more like Google services
  • Reply 16 of 24
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    I'd like to think this is all happening but there's been no confirmation from Apple of what the data centre is for, no changes to iTunes/iPod app to show it's giving streamed content more priority and not even moves from competitors showing that they know what Apple is up to. There's actually been nothing factual at all that indicates Apple is doing iTunes via the cloud.

I'd certainly like to see it happen. And not just for music but also movies and TV as well. It's hard though not to think the pace is glacial.

Papers and magazines on the iPad are barely getting a pass mark due to complexity over subscription, music is clearly going to be harder because the industry feels threatened Apple, and movies and TV (especially using your own content and merging that with pay-per-view/monthly subscriptions) seem to be a long way off still.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    My source says the Data Center is on schedule and that there has not been a spot on rumor of what it will be. He says that it is incredible but would not reveal specifics.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameshopkins View Post

How can you delay something that is rumoured?

exactly. This is tabloid journalism at its finest. No named sources, hedging comments, etc. The truth is that the time is coming up when itunes is likely to be updated and they can't find any semi solid details about what's up so they are afraid that it won't happen, so they are setting up a potential failure so they won't look like morons when it turns out they are wrong.

Reminds me of a certain 20 something actor and actress who play a couple on screen that have been rumored to be not only dating but soulmates/true loves just like their on screen characters. About 8 months ago articles started up about how their agents were forcing them to cool off to save their careers (bogus cause an agent is the employee not the employer and doesn't have that power) and then there were rumors of break ups etc. All for a couple that hasn't said they are dating, no one can prove it and there's strong rumors that she at least actually prefers the same sex

Geesh folks. It's one thing to talk about why Apple had a jones for lala and what they might take from said service and put into itunes etc. But this 'reporting' is laughable
  • Reply 19 of 24
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    I really can't figure out why Apple bought Lala and shut it down with no replacement in sight. Spending millions of dollars to alienate customers seems like a really stupid move.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    If Lala could do it i just don´t get what the issue is what happened to the licenses Lala had? this just tells me Apple is going to do something totally different and new with the streaming services, if not, there would not be an issue.