RIM attempts to create Apple-like buzz with BlackBerry Torch event

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In an uncharacteristic move, Research in Motion held a media event Tuesday in New York City to generate buzz for its new BlackBerry Torch 9800 smartphone, an AT&T handset with a multi-touch screen and slide-out keyboard.

The new BlackBerry Torch has a 5 megapixel camera and 8GB of internal memory -- 4GB flash and 4GB MicroSD. The hardware also includes a slide-out QWERTY keyboard and optical trackpad, and has support for 802.11n. The touchscreen is a 480x360 pixel display.

The Torch features BlackBerry OS 6, the latest mobile operating system, which packs a completely revamped Webkit-based Web browser with multi-touch input gestures. The new operating system offers integrated connectivity with social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook, and has integrated search and a new user interface.

The device will be available exclusively on the AT&T network starting August 12. It carries a $199 price with a standard two-year contract.

The name of the product came from the company Torch Mobile, which RIM acquired. That company's Iris mobile Web browser laid the foundation for the new BlackBerry 6 OS browser.

Eliminating some of the surprise RIM hoped to generate, however, were a number of leaks that occurred before Tuesday's event, including approval by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission for the device, and posting of the handset on AT&T's site moments before RIM's event. Videos, pictures and details on the smartphone were available on AT&T's official site before the announcement was made official.

RIM showed its first glimpse at BlackBerry OS 6 in April, revealing that the software will include multitouch input for its Web browser, e-mail, media player and more. The mobile operating system also has iPhone-like features such as pinch-to-zoom.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 154
    Looks snazzy!
  • Reply 2 of 154
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Zzz ...and... First! ... Argfhh beaten to it
  • Reply 3 of 154
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Zzz ...and... First! ... Argfhh beaten to it

Looks like BlackBerry and by saying that I mean UGLY.
  • Reply 4 of 154
    looks like they threw that crap together in two days. Maybe three.
  • Reply 5 of 154
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Looks like BlackBerry and by saying that I mean UGLY.

Meh, I think it looks fine. It's no iPhone, but it's attractive in its own way. You guys do know that the iPhone isn't the only attractive phone on the market

• Reply 6 of 154
    Sorry for being dense, but what use is the optical trackpad? Is it for people that are trying to avoid fingerprints on their touch screens?
  • Reply 7 of 154
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    "In an uncharacteristic move, Research in Motion held a media event Tuesday" ... Of course copy Apple in every way! Why be original any more in anything you do? Sorry to tell you but copying Apple doesn't make you Apple it makes you look like a wannabe has been. Oh wait a minute ... you are!
  • Reply 8 of 154
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    And they were obviously successful... just look at the enormous buzz and media attention to this must-see event!....

Oh yeah... no one cared.
  • Reply 9 of 154
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"In an uncharacteristic move, Research in Motion held a media event Tuesday" ... Of course copy Apple in every way! Why be original any more in anything you do? Sorry to tell you but copying Apple doesn't make you Apple it makes you look like a wannabe has been. Oh wait a minute ... you are!

Not to mention, that if RIM wanted to generate more "Buzz"... a jar full of bees would have been more beneficial!

I agree it's no iPhone and I'll not judge it being slapped together in three days from a picture. I'd rather see it in person and hold it in hand and play with it's OS and then say definitively that it was slapped together in three days... or not.
  • Reply 10 of 154
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    As expected... too many buttons, and kindergarten icons. WHen will companies learn that if you rush things just to try to stay in the game, you ultimately lose the game. RIM needs to spend more time actually ADVANCING the state of the art and design interface.

Thompson
  • Reply 11 of 154
    BTW... can anyone tell me why 'integrated social media interactivity' is in any way a 'feature'? If I really need to get minute-by-minute updates on strangers' inane activities, I have hundreds of options via various apps.
  • Reply 12 of 154
    RIM has not the Epic Hero, Steve Jobs (RDF +10).
  • Reply 13 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You guys do know that the iPhone isn't the only attractive phone on the market

I supposed that's why almost every phone in the past 3 years has been a flat out copy then (other than retro throw-backs like this)?

Chicklet keyboards? ... please.
  • Reply 14 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... The hardware also includes a slide-out QWERTY keyboard ...

Whenever I see this line, I (like many people) just think "automatic fail." Virtual keyboards have proven themselves to be faster and easier to use in general than the ones with the little plastic keys and this is a full-screen touchscreen phone for cripes sake.

Anyone making a phone in this day and age with a plastic slide-out keyboard is basically making a phone for old folks or for dizzy chicks that wear too much makeup and have long fingernails. there's nothing wrong with making a phone for that crowd, but having a big Apple-esque event and making out like this is a revolutionary new product just makes them look dumb IMO.

If you're going to have a big event and introduce a revolutionary new product, it should actually *be* revolutionary. This thing just isn't.

• Reply 15 of 154
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Seems like AI would post a complete spec breakdown of the Torch comparing it to the iPhone 4. I'm interested to learn in what areas, if any, did RIM "one-up" Apple.

Anyone else appreciate when competitors bring new features and technologies to the table?
  • Reply 16 of 154
    I don?t mind it (The 9800) and OS6 looks to be vastly improved (Syncing over WIFI!). I know it doesn?t have an Apple logo on the back so it won?t get the majority of the Lemmings on this site to give it any consideration.

"Apple-Like" Buzz? How do you know this, are you attending the event? Or is it a standard launch event like any other product? If it was truly an Apple-like event the audience would consist of a bunch or irrational disciples crying with every word that flowed out of the speaker?s mouth, and looking desperately for genitals on the new tech monolith to make love to.
  • Reply 17 of 154
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Seems like AI would post a complete spec breakdown of the Torch comparing it to the iPhone 4. I'm interested to learn in what areas, if any, did RIM "one-up" Apple.

Anyone else appreciate when competitors bring new features and technologies to the table?

Apple shares like the new RIMM since it is another failed attempt as an iPhone killer. Can't wait to see the Black Pad with a slide out keyboard.
  • Reply 18 of 154
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It looks rugged which is what I want. I'm not sure why they have an optical trackpad on it either since the screen is touch sensitive. Other than that I like it.
  • Reply 19 of 154
    I like the way it looks and it certainly has its audience of loyalists. I won't be switching to it, but I am sure some people here at my office who are BB 4 life will try to ask about it.
  • Reply 20 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Sorry for being dense, but what use is the optical trackpad? Is it for people that are trying to avoid fingerprints on their touch screens?

Yeah, never touch the touch screen!