Apple sues "inferior quality" iPod, iPhone and iPad accessory makers

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If I had purchased these cables from Apple, I would have been charged an arm and a leg.

But the Apple accessories are the highest quality. Also, sometimes Apple changes the pinout and the cheap cables stop working. I have a composite video cable that doesn't work I bought from eBay.
  • Reply 82 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If the price is too high, you don't buy - and the seller either has to find another buyer or lower the price. It's really quite simple. No one is making you buy. If you can find another legally produced product of equal quality for less, go ahead and buy it. Whining about prices is just silly.

That is exactly why Apple wants to shut down the accessory makers - they sell stuff for less than Apple. Its not fair.

I buy only Apple-made accessories and they all just work.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaisersoze View Post

Apple is in business for the same reason that any other company is in business: to make profit.

That is just a side benefit. The real reason is because they love their customers.

Just one example of how Apple loves its users is that it built over 300 shops for us. Yeah, they make money. But that is not the reason why they built the Apple Stores! They built them because Steve loves us.
  • Reply 84 of 95
    Quote:

1)

2) If you want to purchase Apple chargers at full retail, that's well within your rights. I just personally have a problem with paying Apple $19 for a simple USB sync cable. There's nothing special about it at all. You can get them for $1.00 or less (if you watch Slickdeals.net).

If you want to steal from Steve, go ahead and buy the pirated cables with the knock-off dock connecters.

But it is stealing.
  • Reply 85 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Thing is Apple is using a universal power adapter. The USB charging lead is used in iPads, iPods, and iPhones. That's over 100 million products that are using the one connector. There will be at least one other person in the area that will have USB charging cable that you could use even though it is a proprietary standard.

It would be best if all the other cellphones were to standardize on the 30 pin connector. But in the meantime, Apple is using the best technology available to consumers. Standards are great, but only if they are better than Apple's solutions.
  • Reply 86 of 95
    Quote:

Where do you get your cables?

He gets them from criminals and pirates on eBay.

Your best bet is to buy the Apple branded accessories, because they last a lot longer and will always give the best User Experience.
  • Reply 87 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Apple's customers see this mark and know the product us guaranteed to work with their iDevice and that it will be of a certain quality.

So if I make a product for the iPod, I can't say so? Or do I use a different phrase, like "This accessory is made to work with the iPod", or is that too forbidden?

Seems like under this sort of logic Coca-Cola could sue a shopkeeper for saying "I sell Coke". I don't understand how it helps consumers one bit to prevent a manufacturer or a retailer from making true statements.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Even Steve Jobs said that Apple can be falable.

After you build a multi-billion Dollar, TransContinental corporate congomerate which changes the history of the entire world, then you too will have the right to say it.

In the meantime, not so much.
  • Reply 89 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bhaiwaah View Post

However if that's not the case, then isn't it similar to "Ford" saying:

That if you buy a mustang and get gas from any gas station other then Wawa, then "Ford" is going to sue the gas station ,

Only if those gas stations say "Works in Mustangs", I think. Otherwise its OK to sell the gas.

That way, Ford can collect money from WaWa and nobody else is allowed to say ""Mustang" because Ford invented it and charges money to use their property to sell things like gas. Otherwise, people think that lousy gas is endorsed by Ford.

So in your case, only WaWa can say that their Gas is OK for a Mustag or get sued by ford.
  • Reply 90 of 95
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

So if I make a product for the iPod, I can't say so? Or do I use a different phrase, like "This accessory is made to work with the iPod", or is that too forbidden?

Seems like under this sort of logic Coca-Cola could sue a shopkeeper for saying "I sell Coke". I don't understand how it helps consumers one bit to prevent a manufacturer or a retailer from making true statements.

I presume from your comments that you are unfamiliar with the concept of trademarks. Apple holds trademarks on "Made for" and their associated logos, and consequently has the right to determine how they are used and by whom. This does not mean that someone could not label a product as compatible, assuming that they have not otherwise infringed on Apple's intellectual property.

Nine posts in a row in one thread. That must be close to some dubious sort of record.
  • Reply 91 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Nine posts in a row in one thread. That must be close to some dubious sort of record.

I comment on the things that interest me. In some threads I have fewer comments, and in other threads I have more than 9.

When I comment on a hot thread, the comments are not in a row. But if other posters are then silent, my posts end up all in a row.

I guess I think different and comment on the threads that the mainstream might not currently be interested in. Maybe a little too often. I'll concentrate on the threads everybody else likes from now on. Sorry.
  • Reply 92 of 95
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I comment on the things that interest me. In some threads I have fewer comments, and in other threads I have more than 9.

When I comment on a hot thread, the comments are not in a row. But if other posters are then silent, my posts end up all in a row.

I guess I think different and comment on the threads that the mainstream might not currently be interested in. Maybe a little too often. I'll concentrate on the threads everybody else likes from now on. Sorry.

Or maybe you could learn to use multi-quote.

Quote:

No, it's simply your lack of understanding of the issue.

"Made for iPod" with the logo is trademarked. You can not use it without permission.

You can made a product that works with an iPod and you can say so. You just can't use the trademarked logo.

To use the Mustang example, what Apple is doing is more like Exxon making a deal with Ford to have 'Mustang Madness Gasoline' which they advertise as being optimum for the Mustang - and they create a special logo. Only Exxon could use the Mustang Madness Gasoline logo on their pumps, but that wouldn't stop anyone else from selling gasolines for Mustangs - or even advertising that their gasoline can be used in Mustangs. They just couldn't use the trademark or logo.

There is, of course, the matter of patented technologies, as well. I'm not sure it's possible to make a 30 pin cable for an iPod that doesn't infringe Apple's patent.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    i want to say go apple, then i want to scold them. i dont think my kenwood should cost 20% more because the usb is 'made for apple' because its actually horrid while using USB, and it works on any other device that is usb!

then again, i cant count how many 10$ charge/sync cords ive bought, how many generic peel off face protectors, non fitting cases, terrible ear phones. if they are going to enforce it, they should break down! M$ style

good info brucep, about the 85W, i never considered that as a reason to use genuine. i always buy the 2$ cord and toss it!
  • Reply 94 of 95
    Quote:

No, it's simply your lack of understanding of the issue.

"Made for iPod" with the logo is trademarked. You can not use it without permission.

i understand but i dont see why they hold the logo and term so dear. i can see they dont want trash released, but if you pay them is it ok? or do they use independent research?

of course if i am looking at 2 head units for my mustang, id choose the made for ipod branded unit, but my jvc plays as well as my kenwood, why is that?

this is reminiscent of AOL and 'you've got mail!' its a term, and you cant successfully copyright a phrase or term, it will become genericized like Band-Aid, Kerosene, Yo-Yo, Philips-Head or Zipper
  • Reply 95 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

I don't believe the level of "Ignorance" and "arrogance" coming from some of the fanboys here! I am glad they don't speak for Apple, because I do know some Apple employees and they are certainly not arrogant asses that I am finding here.

Most of the time consumers don't have anything personal with the people working there its just the policies of the giant corporate world which gives us unpleasant situations.