RIM attempts to create Apple-like buzz with BlackBerry Torch event

Comments

• Reply 81 of 154
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Sure it's difficult to quantify and probably moves around. I was relying upon this report which suggested it. I don't really mind what it concludes but to equate AppleInsider with a network news service isn't useful either.

"Almost half of all Americans surveyed in the poll of 1,151 registered voters said they trusted Fox News. That is a notably larger vote of confidence than the 39% who said they trusted Fox's great rival CNN, and vastly more than the credibility ratings of the traditional news networks ABC News (31%), CBS News (32%) and NBC News (35%)."

Wow. What you don't know about polling....
  • Reply 82 of 154

One thing that caught my eye was in the MacRumors story:

"The new BlackBerry browser offers tabs, auto-wrapping text zoom..."

If that means what I think does-- as you zoom in/out on text, it reflows the text to stay within the width of the display, rather than forcing you to pan horizontally to read an entire line of text.

IMO, this is something that Apple needs to implement in Mobile Safari (as a default option).

• Reply 83 of 154
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Sorry for being dense, but what use is the optical trackpad? Is it for people that are trying to avoid fingerprints on their touch screens?

How exactly does a trackpad work on a touch UI? Is there a cursor that it moves around?
  • Reply 84 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Seems like AI would post a complete spec breakdown of the Torch comparing it to the iPhone 4. I'm interested to learn in what areas, if any, did RIM "one-up" Apple.

Anyone else appreciate when competitors bring new features and technologies to the table?

Yes!

I posted one that I think Apple needs to implement!

• Reply 85 of 154
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If that means what I think does-- as you zoom in/out on text, it reflows the text to stay within the width of the display, rather than forcing you to pan horizontally to read an entire line of text.

IMO, this is something that Apple needs to implement in Mobile Safari (as a default option).

Safari must be the only browser not to do that. The Android browser has always done it.
  • Reply 86 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Does anyone even take AI as a real "news source" anymore? I equate this place to the Fox News of anything related to Apple.

This from a Keith Oberman wannabe...

• Reply 87 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

Looking at the photo of the new BB, I can't help but notice the huge AT&T logo on the home screen. I haven't seen that on a phone in a long time. Seeing this just make me appreciate the fact that Apple does not allow carriers to place their logo, except at the top bar, anywhere on the phone. Imagine turning on an iPad or iPhone and seeing the AT&T logo pop up. How annoying.

I think the new BlackBerry will keep a few of those that want to move away from the Blackberry world, but due to the lack applications compared to Android and Apple, many people will move on.

You know the drill: thou shalt not worship idols before Him, etc.

I kid. But co-branding usually involves money changing hands, so AT&T paid for it one way or another. As if exclusivity & SIM-locks weren't enough!

I too am glad to be free of "Intel Inside" and "Graphica by ATI" stickers plastered all over Windows laptops. Apple keeps it clean & neat.
  • Reply 88 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I'd like to see Mobile Safari get the Reader feature in desktop Safari, then reflow the text in the reader!
  • Reply 89 of 154
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Second in smartphone profits compared to whom -- i.e., who's first?

In the context of this particular thread, and the arguments people are making, profits do not matter.

The argument of many of the people here is that BB makes inferior products catering to ignorant white trash (e.g., Prof Peabody "Anyone making a phone in this day and age with a plastic slide-out keyboard is basically making a phone for old folks or for dizzy chicks that wear too much makeup and have long fingernails").

If this were really true, and BB phones are as bad as many make them out to be, then BB should not sell that many phones, no matter what the cost.
  • Reply 90 of 154
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    RIM has a problem... They've been designing and building an exceptional 'email centric' line of phones that BTW have done them well for a very long time. The problem is this, email (and voice) is no longer the ONLY things people want do with their phones anymore. With the advent of the iPhone and then the Android that copied the iPhone remarkably well it's a new ballgame.

In the beginning the iPhone didn't even attempt to compete head to head with the Blackberry, it didn't want to and it didn't need to. The iPhone was an all around general internet communications device. Sure it did email but not even Steve would have tried to compare the iPhones email experience with that of the Blackberry. The general consensus was the iPhone wouldn't be a near term threat to Blackberry sales, and it wasn't.

Well... 'Near Term' is over... the iPhone and Android have both matured quite a bit since their introductions. Apples App Store turned out to be an enormous game changer and little by little the iPhone and Android have found their way into the hands of more and more business professionals and professionals or not they are very much 'monkey see monkey do'. Your boss gets and iPhone and suddenly you feel very compelled to do the same. A major client your firm does work for starts flashing around iPhones at weekly 'team meetings' and again you start looking like the odd man out.

The problem is once those dominos start to fall it's really hard to get them to stand back up.

RIM isn't suddenly going to appeal to the teenage or college crowd nor are they going to appeal to the tech-set.. They have one audience and thats business professionals and simply making phones kinda-sorta like the iPhone just isn't gonna cut it. I'm not sure what RIM can do but in todays world they are very much looking like Palm did right before they got their heads handed to them... Hmm if I'm not mistaken RIM was greatly responsible for their fall weren't they? Funny, the more things change the more they remain the same....
  • Reply 91 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Fox News is considered the most trusted news source in America and you're trying to equate it somehow to a single issue website.

lol The most trusted news source in America... According to fox news commercials.
  • Reply 92 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

In the context of this particular thread, and the arguments people are making, profits do not matter.

The argument of many of the people here is that BB makes inferior products catering to ignorant white trash (e.g., Prof Peabody "Anyone making a phone in this day and age with a plastic slide-out keyboard is basically making a phone for old folks or for dizzy chicks that wear too much makeup and have long fingernails").

If this were really true, and BB phones are as bad as many make them out to be, then BB should not sell that many phones, no matter what the cost.

You and that other fellow are avoiding my question, aren't you?

So, I'll ask again: RIM has the "second" highest profits from smartphones, after whom? (I'd be happy to give you a guess, if you want.... )
  • Reply 93 of 154
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Second in smartphone profits compared to whom -- i.e., who's first?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=biggest+smartphone+manufacturer

You're welcome.
  • Reply 94 of 154
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Really? So RIM is introducing a new product and trying to create lots of buzz because they don't care about profits?

Amazing.
  • Reply 95 of 154
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sophace View Post

No phone is secure when it come to government intervention - every carrier co-operates with governments to allow lawful interception of calls, texts, emails... the iPhone is no more secure than a Blackberry. I would argue BBM users would care less about their chats being screened than iPhone 4 users should be about the latest crack being able to be completed through Safari Mobile, that is scary potential for hackers.

Again, not bashing Apple, I have a lot of apple hardware, just adding perspective.

Begging to differ - various governments are concerned about BlackBerries precisely because of the security. RIM uses its own servers as well as servers behind the enterprise customers' firewall for encryption and decryption, using encryption technology acquired when they purchased Certicom many years ago. Therefore, a carrier cannot help the government in this regard. Otherwise, UAE, Saubi Arabia and India would not all be threatening to block the BlackBerry system.
  • Reply 96 of 154
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

RIM isn't suddenly going to appeal to the teenage or college crowd nor are they going to appeal to the tech-set.. They have one audience and thats business professionals and simply making phones kinda-sorta like the iPhone just isn't gonna cut it. I'm not sure what RIM can do but in todays world they are very much looking like Palm did right before they got their heads handed to them... Hmm if I'm not mistaken RIM was greatly responsible for their fall weren't they? Funny, the more things change the more they remain the same....

Begging to differ, BlackBerries have become quite popular amongst teenagers. Just look around. This is because RIM has continued to expand its competitive advantage when it comes to messaging. Someone else mentioned this somewhere above:The BlackBerry messaging (BBM) system is proprietary and independent of texting or emails. Teens like it because you can easily set up groups and invite others to join. Once teens join a group, they are effectively hooked on Crackberry.
  • Reply 97 of 154
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    RIM would be happy to create ANY buzz at this point... but it has to be "Apple-like", otherwise it would be irrelevant to this site..

Does anyone else find it strange that their first BBOS 6.0 phone is released on AT&T?

Seems like it might have been smarter to release it on another carrier where they aren't directly competing with the iPhone?
  • Reply 98 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Begging to differ, BlackBerries have become quite popular amongst teenagers. Just look around. This is because RIM has continued to expand its competitive advantage when it comes to messaging. Someone else mentioned this somewhere above:The BlackBerry messaging (BBM) system is proprietary and independent of texting or emails. Teens like it because you can easily set up groups and invite others to join. Once teens join a group, they are effectively hooked on Crackberry.

I think it has more to do with parents being able to afford the BOGO sales that have been available over the last year.
  • Reply 99 of 154
    intoshintosh Posts: 16member
    Only Apple knows how to generate more buzz: release a phone that can't make phone calls without outfitting it with a jacket.
  • Reply 100 of 154
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I remember when I bought my first iPhone a couple of years ago. At the time the advice being given to consumers was: if you primarily want to surf the web then buy the iPhone; however, if you are more interested in email/messaging then buy a Blackberry.