Apple updates iMac line with Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 267
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

... There were no forced previews on it, I skipped past everything that came up.

Thanks. I double-checked mine, also marked "rental" and confirmed there was no way past the previews no matter what I did. Perhaps a non-"rental" BD would behave differently. Are you using an Oppo?

I've had other problematic movies, don't remember which though. I haven't tried disconnecting from the network yet.

It would appear your experience indicates an inconsistent implementation of the standard, perhaps from one region to another, certainly from one master to another, and probably from one player to another. In time there may be movement toward a more consistent standard, but at present - in my opinion - it's a mess.

Good movie though

Begs the question, why would you want to watch something like it on an iMac, when DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD is more than half the experience? Blu-Ray is pointless on anything less than a home theater. I surmise Apple may have concluded DVD is more than adequate for desktops and laptops for now.
  • Reply 262 of 267
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

Begs the question, why would you want to watch something like it on an iMac, when DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD is more than half the experience? Blu-Ray is pointless on anything less than a home theater. I surmise Apple may have concluded DVD is more than adequate for desktops and laptops for now.

Not having the money for a home theater setup, plus having a 2 and 4 yr old who like to monopolize the TV as it is, I've pondered dropping $70 on a BD drive for my desktop PC. I would just like to watch some of my BD movies (my PS3 is acting up and won't read discs) and I have good speakers and a good set of headphones on my computer. 22" screen from just a couple of feet away gives a good picture. *shrug* It isn't optimal, but it certainly works well enough.
  • Reply 263 of 267
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

So, YOU are going to give Apple and Jobs an education on how to make money?

ok Avid bought m-audio as they knew computer were getting faster and people would not buy full HD pro toos rigs so they bought maudio. ProSumers also cosist f gamers which last year alone sold more than music and games combined.

A pro Sumer won't buy an iMac as you can't ad fx pci card and the likes and they dint have the cash for a mac pro so they get a 4/8 core windows 7 machine. Also last year I went to avid video symphony in Burbank CA, largest school in theworld to learn avid and FCP and was shocked to find out that they now use windows servers as it's cheaper and easier to scale.

The point is, musicians, gamers, editors would buy up these machines in a heart beat. Not you Bravo editor but you home bedroom musician/editor. They would make millions. They dint sell that many mac pros anyway and instead if a muducianmaybe buying an iMac and complaining they can't upgrade to a phatso pci card, (just one example), prosumers would be all over theses machines and it would also make Apple look good and VERY PROFITABLE.
  • Reply 264 of 267
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Thanks. I double-checked mine, also marked "rental" and confirmed there was no way past the previews no matter what I did. Perhaps a non-"rental" BD would behave differently. Are you using an Oppo?

No, I am using a PS3. Maybe a non-rental would be different, but I didn't enjoy the movie enough to go purchase it.

Quote:

It would appear your experience indicates an inconsistent implementation of the standard, perhaps from one region to another, certainly from one master to another, and probably from one player to another. In time there may be movement toward a more consistent standard, but at present - in my opinion - it's a mess.

It is possible they have a different release between regions, being a Universal release it it a little strange though.

The thing is, there is a consistant standard, it is just that different studios implement different "features" in the standard with their releases.

This is no different to the digital downloads, there is region coding with them. Some have that iTunes Extras, some don't (including releases on different platforms). It isn't consistant across releases.

All I know is, I can purchase a Blu-ray player from a number of different manufactures that enable me to watch movies, I am not forced to purchase one player from one company.

Quote:

Because if I am travelling, I don't take my TV etc with me, but sometimes I would like to watch a movie. Managed copy with have helped here, but that hasn't gone anywhere. Some of the stuff I have read blamed Apple for this, as they could have used iTunes to manage it, but you know Apple and their licencing.
  • Reply 265 of 267
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Funny....when you update the GPU on the 27" i5 dual core imac it's actually MORE than the equally spec'd 27" Quad core i5 imac! $1,914 vs $1,899 with the student discount.

I know the dual core has "hyperthreading" while the quad core doesn't....BUT....the Quad core has 4 REAL cores while the Dual only has 2 REAL and 2 "virtual" cores. The Quad core also has 8MB of level 3 cache compared to the dual's 4MB.

Personally I'd rather have the 4 "REAL" cores.

I plan to do HD video editing, photoshop, web design and animation.

At first I was going to go with the 21.5" i5.....but after looking at the 27" screen, I got screen lust and took a closer look at them. Thats when I noticed this price discrepancy.

What are your thoughts? I've got some time to decide, since I am waiting to see if the new "ilife" on August 7th pans out.

Cheers
  • Reply 266 of 267
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Funny....when you update the GPU on the 27" i5 dual core imac it's actually MORE than the equally spec'd 27" Quad core i5 imac! $1,914 vs $1,899 with the student discount.

I know the dual core has "hyperthreading" while the quad core doesn't....BUT....the Quad core has 4 REAL cores while the Dual only has 2 REAL and 2 "virtual" cores. The Quad core also has 8MB of level 3 cache compared to the dual's 4MB.

Personally I'd rather have the 4 "REAL" cores.

I plan to do HD video editing, photoshop, web design and animation.

At first I was going to go with the 21.5" i5.....but after looking at the 27" screen, I got screen lust and took a closer look at them. Thats when I noticed this price discrepancy.

What are your thoughts? I've got some time to decide, since I am waiting to see if the new "ilife" on August 7th pans out.

Cheers

I have both the 21" and 27" iMacs at my business. I would go for a 27" iMac if I were you and had the space.

I would check out the Apple refurbs. Last gen i5s are $1500 and last gen i7s are $1700. That's pretty attractive value to me. The dual core i3s, especially the 3.2 ghz models, perform surprising well but not as well as the true quads.
  • Reply 267 of 267
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

W7 Ultimate? (WHY??), i5? What's wrong with the i7??? and the specs are there.. it's not 'missing' anything, sure the features don't line up 100% but to be honest some of the things you are talking about don't interest me in the slightest. Firewire? Want to know when I've used that? Never. Optical Audio? No need for it. If I did I could easily upgrade to a creative labs card and have it though. Card Reader? From personal experience those are good for collecting dust and not much else (We use card readers at work..but that's taken care of if needed, we have 10 dollar usb card readers for the task).

There is nothing wrong with the i7, I just threw in the i5 to show that even with inferior specs the Dell/Alienware is STILL more expensive. Also, the other stuff the iMac has was in the post to show the "features" M$ sheep think they have extra, that you DO get something more for the price you are paying. If you will find them useful or not, that depends on you.

It's just to contradict the "Mac users are being ripped off" myth.

Quote:

The SLI setup, extra ram and beefy processor are more than worth the price difference IMHO. I guess some of that comes from being a gamer and Apple certainly doesn't cater to people like me. If Apple did offer better cards, and pushed their drivers to mature havinga mac to play games on would be a no brainer for me. As it is I have a mac for Obj C work and a PC for when I want to play games.

For a gamer, yes, but that's why there are people (like me) who want an "xMac"

Quote:

I dont understand the all-in-one brag though.. that is a huge turn off to a lot of people. One of the nice freedoms of component systems is just buying a new monitor, video card, processor (insert whatever you want here) if something happens to the old one or you just want something bigger/better. All-in-one is a concept that I don't see as a massive benefit unless there is a lifetime warranty involved with free repairs. It certainly doesn't make the Mac a 'better' product just because it's all-in-one.

The All-In-One brag was there to further ridicule the "Mac users are being ripped off" myth, as they are more expensive to produce than component systems. And those "freedoms of component systems" you talk about are only appreciated by 1) Pros 2) Gamers

Pros already got their machine, that's why we are waiting for the xMac (in theory kinda like a Mac Pro but using only consumer-grade parts to decrease price to iMac-levels)

Edit: The Ultimate Windows 7 was thrown in because OS X has only ONE version with all the features (aside from Snow Leopard Server), so having Home Premium wouldn't be fair.