Apple's iTunes Remote app was developed by one person - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

On the Stanford Uni iPhone Application Development lectures (Winter 2010) Alan Cannistraro claims he built the remote app for the iPhone.

Yes you are correct it was Alan cannistraro
  • Reply 22 of 52
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    How does this R&D structure affect Apple's ability to make products for and support the enterprise?
  • Reply 23 of 52
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacobo007 View Post

Good or bad Apple is truly a think different company

Is this different than Google?
  • Reply 24 of 52
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

That app doesn't get enough credit. Operating the apple tv without looking at a touchscreen remote is an incredibly useful feature.

Uh, the iPhone/iPod touch with the Remote app ARE touchscreen remotes. You don't look at it while using it?
  • Reply 25 of 52
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    +1 to the suggestion of an iPad version. Running an iPhone app on my iPad is no substitute for a proper iPad app.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Multitasking would be sweet. Everytime you start the app it needs to establish a connection to your iTunes from scratch. If it could just refresh that connection it would be much more responsive.

That could come in really handy when I'm sitting out on the patio and some NWA comes on while I'm grilling out with my parents over or something...

So true regarding NWA! ;-)

One other thing I think it needs is the ability for the remote app to function as a speaker as well. There's obviously a lot more music on my comouter than on my iPod and to be able to stream it to my iPhone/iTouch would make it a killer app.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Of all the things that could be done with the Remote App, why does this article call out multitasking and retina display?

What, exactly, would you do with multitasking support in an App such as Remote?

What functional benefit would actually come from upgrading it to make full use of retina display?

Maybe other improvements could be proposed for the Remote App: A previous poster's idea of being able to link it into lyrics, bios, and other background information sounds compelling.

But multitasking...

Because you want it to return to where you were when you re-enter, not starting with the splash, choose, connect screens every time.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vinster View Post

So true regarding NWA! ;-)

One other thing I think it needs is the ability for the remote app to function as a speaker as well. There's obviously a lot more music on my comouter than on my iPod and to be able to stream it to my iPhone/iTouch would make it a killer app.

I use the Airfoil Speaker App for that...but there are limitations, like swapping back & forth from the Airfoil Speaker App to control the speaker settings to the Remote App to control the music playing.

I have wondered why Apple didn't offer a toggle in the iPod App to switch from controlling the music stored int he device (conventional iPod App behavior) to controlling music on the host iTunes (conventional Remote App behavior).

You'd never really want to do both at once, I'd imagine. They could share the same graphics libraries (Have you noticed how crappy the detailed Genius icon looks in Remote App versus its high-res detail in iPod App on the iPhone 4?). They could share the same playlist engine, lots of other synergies, I'd imagine. The most unique behaviors that Remote App brings are the gestures to control the AppleTV.

One less icon in my iPhone would be helpful as well!
  • Reply 29 of 52

A large team can also get a project done!

Here, a team of only 500-1,000 politicians and bureaucrats were able to design a health care system-- the simple elegance of the result is revealed when one looks at a graphic depiction of the system reduced to a single page.

Mmmm... I wonder if they could reduce that to a circuit on a silicon substrate...

Download Chart (PDF Format)

To be honest, this chart only represents one third of the health care system (all of it wouldn't fit on a single page).

The article is here:

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press..._hc_chart.html

• Reply 30 of 52
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Pages is developed by three people. So what? That is how software is usually done. It doesn't take a massive number of programmers. It just takes time.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A large team can also get a project done!

Here, a team of only 500-1,000 politicians and bureaucrats were able to design a health care system-- the simple elegance of the result is revealed when one looks at a graphic depiction of the system reduced to a single page.

Mmmm... I wonder if they could reduce that to a circuit on a silicon substrate...

Download Chart (PDF Format)

To be honest, this chart only represents one third of the health care system (all of it wouldn't fit on a single page).

The article is here:

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press..._hc_chart.html

I like how there is only one line mixed in the jumble going to "Patients".
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I like how there is only one line mixed in the jumble going to "Patients".

Good catch!

Patients? Patients? Well, there you go, the health care system is not designed to benefit/serve the Patients!

To expand on your observation of a single line going to patients-- the line going to patients comes from a box labeled:

"Individuals"

and containing:

"Mandates, Regulations & Taxes"

Three guesses, who gets mandated, regulated, taxed and hosed?

• Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

On the Stanford Uni iPhone Application Development lectures (Winter 2010) Alan Cannistraro claims he built the remote app for the iPhone.

See 1:10 of the below Stanford lecture.

http://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/...2?i=1140748164
  • Reply 34 of 52
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    In addition to being super useful as a remote for iTunes (and honestly I don't understand why it's not one of the standard built-in apps for that reason alone), another cool feature is multiple people using it with iTunes DJ to crowdsource music for a party. Have everyone with an iPhone download Remote if they don't have it already, then they can request songs and vote up existing songs in the queue. It's really fun and takes the pressure off the host for maintaining the tunes.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

...when something is given the attention of Jobs.

Is there any project there that isn't?

I heard he rejected the Battery Charger 27 times before its release because he didn't like the way it felt when you inserted the plug into the outlet. He felt it slid in too easily; he wanted something akin to the solid, positive feel of a button in a German car as opposed to the vague, loose feeling of ones in American cars.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    The MacBU took on this kind of approach supposedly. Obviously more is at work than a startup mentality for success, because their products have been consecutively shit for 15 years.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Hopefully he doesn't get hit by a bus...
  • Reply 38 of 52
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Multitasking is needed. Fast app switching so that it doesn't have to reconnect everytime it starts up, and the background audio integration so my music controls are a double-click away when playing music.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Multitasking would be sweet. Everytime you start the app it needs to establish a connection to your iTunes from scratch. If it could just refresh that connection it would be much more responsive.

Yes, must admit THAT part of the 'scheme' is a bit of a pain in the ass

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

multiple people using it with iTunes DJ to crowdsource music for a party. Have everyone with an iPhone download Remote if they don't have it already, then they can request songs and vote up existing songs in the queue. It's really fun and takes the pressure off the host for maintaining the tunes.

"crowdsource" ... "vote"

What, you think DJ'ing at a Party is a Democracy

Maybe if it's a house party, everyone's stoned, tripping the light fantastic, and nobody's dancing

Otherwise, yes the "pressure" may be "off" the "host" but anarchy will rule

Why not, at your next party, allow the Guest to tell the Chef how to prepare the Meal ?

Or at a Football Game let the stadium vote on what play they want the Coach to send in to the Team ?

Or as an Army is about to start a Battle they could vote on the Plan and pass it along to the General ?

Get the drift ?

Sounds like the ridiculous Microsoft TV Commercials where everyone says "this" or "that" was MY idea.

When the Designer has no idea, no clue - then allowing the "crowd" to decide might be a viable alternative

(and for Microsoft that's perhaps the sad truth)

But, when those like Jobs or Ive are the Chef, the Coach, the DJ - let us do our thing.

And, if you don't like it ?

Don't Dance

And if you, as Host, REALLY want to remove the "pressure" of picking Music ?

Then hire a Professional and Reputable Disc Jockey/Band

But BEWARE - Microsofts are everywhere

• Reply 39 of 52
    At the Stanford presentation he actually he said he worked in the team that developed Remote. Team generally doesn't equate to one person :-p
  • Reply 40 of 52
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wildcat1 View Post

Yes you are correct it was Alan cannistraro

Can someone ask Alan Cannistraro to look into why Remote makes my streaming music drop out when the app is launched? I have seen this on 5 different networks.