First look: Apple Battery Charger and AA batteries

Comments

• Reply 61 of 155
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    This is one of the lamest Apple products ever made. That said, it will sell. Many people out there will think they need the Apple charger to go with their Mighty Mouse or whatever.
  • Reply 62 of 155
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Technology moves on. No manufacturer supports its old tech.

My 3 battery bluetooth keyboard works just fine. Should I pitch it just because Apple has a new 2 battery keyboard? They are more than welcome (Apple) to send me one for free, consider all the hell they have put me through with the POS Apple mouse.

In my opinion, Apple has done nothing new here. I have batteries and a charger from Radio Shack that are two years old. The battery ratings are pretty much the same. The charger is a 2+2 unit.

Like previously stated, they are 1.2 volts, and you never get more than a 2/3 rating from Mac OS. I get only 3 weeks from the mouse, and 6 weeks from the keyboard.

The "other" products used with PCs, can go 6 months with the mouse, and a year with the keyboard.

Nope, Apple has done nothing new and exciting here.

TrackPad is sexy (maybe) but does it blend?
  • Reply 63 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

It looks nice but I can't help but feel that Apple blew it on the design of this thing. It really should have included at least one USB port for charging devices like the iPad or iPhone.

At first glance I thought your idea sounded good but then I thought about what Apple intends this to be used with. Since it?s designed for their wireless accessories for their Macs which already have USB ports that are likely much more conveniently placed I can see why they would forego adding one to this charger.
  • Reply 64 of 155
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You may think that the world has endless resources, but most people understand that the planet is finite.

OMG.

Your reaction to my calling out Apple for the overhyping of an incredibly meager feature is absolutely pitiful. You could be directing your energy somewhere else far more productive, except of course you've got a lot to lose with AAPL.
  • Reply 65 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

Like previously stated, they are 1.2 volts, and you never get more than a 2/3 rating from Mac OS. I get only 3 weeks from the mouse, and 6 weeks from the keyboard.

The "other" products used with PCs, can go 6 months with the mouse, and a year with the keyboard.

Nope, Apple has done nothing new and exciting here.

Your comment seems to imply that Apple?s accessories are less power efficient than ?other? accessories. If so, could you explain why you think that is.
  • Reply 66 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Unless you have devices that take more than 2 batteries at a time, it's unlikely you need to charge more than that at once. Although, it's possible that 2 devices will have their batteries run down at exactly the same time, it's not likely to happen very frequently. Apple's AA devices each now take 2 batteries -- and, obviously, their motivation is to make a charger for use with your Apple devices -- so recharging 2 at a time seems entirely reasonable, otherwise, you are paying for charger capacity that you aren't using most of the time.

I have multiple devices that are using recharable batteries, some of which use more than two AA batteries. I have spare charged batteries that are used to replace those that are drained and then recharge batteries in "batches." Yes, if you only have one device using two batteries, good on you. But for those of us with more, a charger that only handles two at a time falls short.
  • Reply 67 of 155
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

OMG.

Your reaction to my calling out Apple for the overhyping of an incredibly meager feature is absolutely pitiful. You could be directing your energy somewhere else far more productive, except of course you've got a lot to lose with AAPL.

IOW, you have nothing intelligent to say and can't support your whining, so you'll attack the messenger. As usual.

Overhyping? That's drivel - even for you. The first I heard of this charger and batteries was on this site. Where is Apple hyping it (much less 'overhyping' it)?
  • Reply 68 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I have multiple devices that are using recharable batteries, some of which use more than two AA batteries. I have spare charged batteries that are used to replace those that are drained and then recharge batteries in "batches." Yes, if you only have one device using two batteries, good on you. But for those of us with more, a charger that only handles two at a time falls short.

Your comment makes no sense to me. If you have spare batteries then what is the problem?

For example, the 3 batteries in you keyboard dies, you replace them with 3 of your spares and then put 2 or the three in the charger. The next day you put those charged batteries away and charge the remaining battery.

If you don?t want to have spare batteries and you expect all your devices to fail at once then I don?t understand that either. You can buy multiple chargers or by a different charger. These are AA sized batteries, there is no requirement to use the Apple charger with Apple accessories, which by the way all currently use two AA batteries.
  • Reply 69 of 155
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

IOW, you have nothing intelligent to say and can't support your whining, so you'll attack the messenger. As usual.

Overhyping? That's drivel - even for you. The first I heard of this charger and batteries was on this site. Where is Apple hyping it (much less 'overhyping' it)?

I've been attacked for pointing out that the typical savings afforded by Apple's charger is about 25 cents per year for many consumers, assuming they leave the charger plugged in the whole time. Fact. Must have caught you and some others by surprise that 300 mW isn't much power at all, particularly compared to other ways people could be saving energy. I would guess Apple expects some people to equate mW with mA. If we were talking 300 mA, then that translates to some serious power consumption. I can't explain the overreaction any other way. 300mW is no reason at all to buy Apple's charger.

You're not following Apple very closely if you heard about it first on AI.
  • Reply 70 of 155
    m3kwm3kw Posts: 4member
    Invest in a camera if you are going to do a review with pictures!! Not your cell phone cam. Looks like you were testing your camera's night vision capabilities!
  • Reply 71 of 155
    aluopaluop Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's pricing is competitive, and better than many competing options available today.

LOL. 6AA and a 2-battery charger for $29, competitive?

I just bought the new redesigned 1500-cycle Eneloop kit from Costco for $25, which included 8 AA, 4 AAA, and one 4-battery charger.

Amazingly small 30mA standby power? Yeah right.

If you like to leave the charger and batteries plugged in even after the battery is full, and congratulations. Like the other member pointed out, it saves you $0.5 over 10 years.

If you truly care about the environment and safety, you would unplug the charger and batteries after charging. If they are LSD like Eneloop, who needs to keep them plugged in after charging?
  • Reply 72 of 155
    m3kwm3kw Posts: 4member
    Quote:

I see you managed to miss the point - as usual.

If there's no additional cost or environmental load to manufacture Apple's chargers, that's a free energy savings - since the price is competitive. If a billion people save 315 mw on this - and then start thinking about other places they can save energy - it could add up.

It's easy to say "I can only save 100 W per fixture by using energy efficient bulbs. Multiply that by 20 fixtures in your house, 5 hours of use per day, and 6 billion people and it could save an enormous amount of energy and pollution.

It doesn't matter if you're concerned about global warming or concerned about sending money to terrorist countries, using less energy is smart.

If it was 6 billion it would matter, but I'm guessing 10 million max for the apple sales of these things. So thats 0.5x10 000 000 = 5 million dollars over 10 years. 500k per year for the whole human race if it were to run them 24x7 every each one of the buyers. Is not a lot, but it adds up if you have 10 other devices in your house that has fantom draw, you can actully add 3 billion to that 10 other devices assuming average of 2 person per house hold. Then it would be saving around 300 x 5 million dollars/0.1 = 15 billion dollars in 10 years.
  • Reply 73 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your comment seems to imply that Apple’s accessories are less power efficient than “other” accessories. If so, could you explain why you think that is.

Two fold: My experience suggests bluetooth is not as efficient as IR. Also, since IR devices last so long, I see no need to use rechargeable batteries. For Apple to begin selling rechargeable batteries and a charger, easily suggests the need.

My old HP Pavilion, with Windows Me, came with a wireless keyboard and mouse. I installed the included batteries, and never considered using rechargeable ones. Just like I'd never consider using rechargeable batteries in my Comcast remote. Some 18 months later, it still works fine.

Yes, I do properly recycle my old dead batteries. So I remain green.

EDIT: This product has been around for a while:

http://www.ccrane.com/more-categorie...y-charger.aspx
  • Reply 74 of 155
    Quote:

Two fold: My experience suggests bluetooth is not as efficient as IR. Also, since IR devices last so long, I see no need to use rechargeable batteries. For Apple to begin selling rechargeable batteries and a charger, easily suggests the need.

My old HP Pavilion, with Windows Me, came with a wireless keyboard and mouse. I installed the included batteries, and never considered using rechargeable ones. Just like I'd never consider using rechargeable batteries in my Comcast remote. Some 18 months later, it still works fine.

Yes, I do properly recycle my old dead batteries. So I remain green.

I don?t think anyone would disagree with IR being more power efficient than Bluetooth, but I still don?t get how that related to the topic at hand, or why you included these ?other? devices as lasting so long without stating the technology they were using. You even seem to imply that if it?s used with Macs it won?t last as long as with non-Mac PCs, which makes no sense since you can use IR with Macs and Bluetooth with non-Mac PCs.

On top of that, melgross?s reply to hillstones is on point. Technology and companies move on.

I think it?s odd that anyone would think they can?t use their three AA Apple Wireless Keyboard with the Apple charger, they?d have to get a new keyboard to use it, or that they couldn?t buy a different charger that held more batteries and/or battery charging stations if they absolutely needed it.
  • Reply 75 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think anyone would disagree with IR being more power efficient than Bluetooth, but I still don?t get how that related to the topic at hand, or why you included these ?other? devices as lasting so long without stating the technology they were using. You even seem to imply that if it?s used with Macs it won?t last as long as with non-Mac PCs, which makes no sense since you can use IR with Macs and Bluetooth with non-Mac PCs.

On top of that, melgross?s reply to hillstones is on point. Technology and companies move on.

I think it?s odd that anyone would think they can?t use their three AA Apple Wireless Keyboard with the Apple charger, they?d have to get a new keyboard to use it, or that they couldn?t buy a different charger that held more batteries and/or battery charging stations if they absolutely needed it.

If Apple wanted to be slick, they would be selling a 4 battery device, that does not need to charge 2+2. That would be something new and useful for us 3 battery people. As for what technology they were using, how the hell do I know. My old HP had a device that plugged into a USB port. It transmitted data to and from the keyboard and mouse. The newer HPs suggest not using rechargeable batteries. If in fact, Apple has 1.5 volt batteries, I would be interested.

To stay on track with the thread, I will simply say again, nothing new here.
  • Reply 76 of 155
    gin_tonicgin_tonic Posts: 163member
    $29 for a charger with unknown parameters? No, thanks

Look at La Crosse 9009. One of the best charger in the world:

- smart charging (best charging algorithm in the world)

- charges AAA and AA batteries

- charges AAA and AA at the same time

- charges up to 4 batteries

- has temperature contol

- comes with 4 AAA and 4 AA batteries and 4 C- and 4 D-size battery adapters

- comes with travel bag

- bought for $36 at Amazon
  • Reply 77 of 155
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

you make a strong argument for not having them.

Off Topic.
  • Reply 78 of 155
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Yeah, these are probably essentially Sanyo Enerloop batteries repackaged. I was clued into these last year by a photographer friend of mine who swears by them for his camera flashes-- holds tons of juice and always ready when you need it.

This is what I am thinking as well. Does anyone have a pictures of just the tops of the batteries so I can compare to my Eneloops?

I've been using them for a few months now and the charge is going strong. My Maha 9000 charger can test for battery capacity and after about 30ish charge cycles I am at 1950ish mAh from an original 2000 mAh. Supposedly, the Eneloops can also last 1000 charge cycles.

New Eleloops can last 1500 and stay above 1750 mAh.

candlepowerforums.com is a good place to read up on the different battery technologies if anyone is interested.
  • Reply 79 of 155
    Quote:

If Apple wanted to be slick, they would be selling a 4 battery device, that does not need to charge 2+2.

Why? Explain your reasoning why an accessory that needs two batteries to fuction would need a charger with four bays to recharge two batteries.

Are you under some impression that accessories use their power at exactly the same interval or that charging time is so excessive that their would be constant overlaping needs? Are you not aware of how long between charges an Apple accessory is likely to go between charges with these batteries or that Mac OS X will inform you when your Apple keyboard, mouse or trackpad is running low on power so you have plenty of time to plan for a battery swap or charging of those batteries before reusing?

Personally, I would rather save a few bucks with high-rated off brand since the charger would be spending most of its life in a draw, not plugged into wall unless needed to recharge a couple batteries for a night once every couple months.
  • Reply 80 of 155
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALUOp View Post

LOL. 6AA and a 2-battery charger for $29, competitive?

I just bought the new redesigned 1500-cycle Eneloop kit from Costco for $25, which included 8 AA, 4 AAA, and one 4-battery charger.

Amazingly small 30mA standby power? Yeah right.

If you like to leave the charger and batteries plugged in even after the battery is full, and congratulations. Like the other member pointed out, it saves you $0.5 over 10 years.

If you truly care about the environment and safety, you would unplug the charger and batteries after charging. If they are LSD like Eneloop, who needs to keep them plugged in after charging?

Well, the prices are competitive, but it's just before you add the apple tax. After you add the apple tax, it goes higher. But remember, the other batteries are not made by apple!