RIM attempts to create Apple-like buzz with BlackBerry Torch event

Comments

• Reply 101 of 154
    some of you guys need to quit drinking the Steve Jobs koolaid,there is other phones out there, that are as good or dare i say better then the iphone, look around enjoy life, see the other side its not totally dark,, and on the other side you dont have to use itunes, yay,,
  • Reply 102 of 154
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This from a Keith Oberman wannabe...

Coming from a Sarah Palin wannabe, your insults are meaningless. Your ability to be programmed by Apple and say stupid meaningless things parallels Palin exactly.

BTW, who's Keith Oberman?
  • Reply 103 of 154
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You and that other fellow are avoiding my question, aren't you?

So, I'll ask again: RIM has the "second" highest profits from smartphones, after whom? (I'd be happy to give you a guess, if you want.... )

Apple leads in profits, and that is well established. OTOH, as I said, in terms of the comments made by many posters, that is irrelevant.
  • Reply 104 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? So RIM is introducing a new product and trying to create lots of buzz because they don't care about profits?

Amazing.

I never said that. Of course RIM cares about profits. However, within the context of many comments of THIS SPECIFIC THREAD, whether Apple makes more money (they do) than RIM does not matter.

One more time, many of the posters are stating that RIM makes inferior products, targeted to "stupid" people (e.g., Prof Peabody).

If it is true that RIM's products are so completely inferior (again, as many posters have stated), then it behooves said posters to give a reason why RIM sells so many phones.

In other words, why would millions of people throw their money away on such patently inferior products? One more time, who makes more money is irrelevant to this specific question.

That is the question that both you and anantksundaram are avoiding.
  • Reply 105 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=biggest+smartphone+manufacturer

You're welcome.

Very cute.

GM was the biggest car manufacturer too.
  • Reply 106 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Looks snazzy!

would i get it over an iphone? no. would i get it over a blackberry? yes. Don't think i'd buy this over a droid either. Hmmm. Looks way cooler than a windows phone 7 though
  • Reply 107 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Apple leads in profits, and that is well established. OTOH, as I said, in terms of the comments made by many posters, that is irrelevant.

I could care less about what you said.

You butted in on a comment I specifically made in response to RichL's braggadocio.
  • Reply 108 of 154
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:

You and that other fellow are avoiding my question, aren't you?

So, I'll ask again: RIM has the "second" highest profits from smartphones, after whom? (I'd be happy to give you a guess, if you want.... )

If you think it is Nokia you need to be aware that they don 't make any phones as good as the iPhone so there is no comparison.
  • Reply 109 of 154
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by northernale1 View Post

some of you guys need to quit drinking the Steve Jobs koolaid,there is other phones out there, that are as good or dare i say better then the iphone,

Yeah? What phone "out there" is better than the iPhone?
  • Reply 110 of 154
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    WOW RIM

a phone with a keyboard, a touch screen AND an optical 'trackpad'

couldn't make up your mind?

or suffering from an identity crisis?

I wouldn't like to pull that thing out of my pocket
  • Reply 111 of 154
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

WOW RIM

a phone with a keyboard, a touch screen AND an optical 'trackpad'

I've thought about this a little more and I presume existing Blackberry Apps are designed for use with a trackpad. Long term maybe RiM could get rid of the trackpad and just use touch but in the meantime it is probably needed for backwards compatibility.
  • Reply 112 of 154
    Quote:

I could care less about what you said.

You butted in on a comment I specifically made in response to RichL's braggadocio.

That was a bit snarky, particularly when I was answering a question that you directed towards me right here

"You and that other fellow are avoiding my question, aren't you?

So, I'll ask again: RIM has the "second" highest profits from smartphones, after whom? (I'd be happy to give you a guess, if you want...."

and you are still avoiding the question I asked.
  • Reply 113 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

If you think it is Nokia you need to be aware that they don 't make any phones as good as the iPhone so there is no comparison.

Groan......

No, it's Apple.
  • Reply 114 of 154
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I've thought about this a little more and I presume existing Blackberry Apps are designed for use with a trackpad. Long term maybe RiM could get rid of the trackpad and just use touch but in the meantime it is probably needed for backwards compatibility.

Good thought, as a supposed business phone many companies will insist on it

however, trying to be all things to all people doesn't appear to be ground breaking.

I'll admit I'm a 'fanboy' but I'm yet to see a truly innovative idea from the 'iPhone killers'
  • Reply 115 of 154
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Fox News is considered the most trusted news source in America

Oh, puhleaze...

By whom? Those that can't think, or those can and don't?
  • Reply 116 of 154
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Fox News is considered the most trusted news source in America....

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.

Quote:

Second in smartphone profits compared to whom -- i.e., who's first?

Nokia is number one by a significant margin. Apple is third.
  • Reply 117 of 154
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vital0gy View Post

I think it has more to do with parents being able to afford the BOGO sales that have been available over the last year.

The kids are demanding the BB. BBM is simply better than texting and emailing on other phones.
  • Reply 118 of 154
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Good thought. Also, I wonder if it might also be because the browser does not have a full set of touch gestures yet. Or it could be that they are reluctant to give up a distinguishing hardware feature.
  • Reply 119 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Nokia is number one [in profits] by a significant margin. Apple is third.

You are totally wrong.
  • Reply 120 of 154
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:

You are totally wrong.

Nokia sells more than twice as many smartphones as Apple does.

http://www.macdailynews.com/gfx/arti...martphones.gif