First look: Apple Battery Charger and AA batteries

Comments

• Reply 101 of 155
    Sometimes doing the right thing might save you nothing -- it may even cost you something.

If this charger is "good" to the batteries and maximizes their life, that's fewer batteries that end up in a landfill. That's less energy used to extract the raw materials from the ground. That's less damage to the environment. If you use less electricity in the process of charging them, that's good for the environment.

If other chargers have a high vampire draw, what are they doing? Heating and overcharging the batteries and shortening the battery life?

Again, it's not all about you.
  • Reply 102 of 155
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) You other batteries you have charged. What part of 80% after 1 year or 85% after 3 years with the design makes that an issue?

2) Then don?t buy Apple?s charger that they designed for their current products. Do you really expect them to release a 3 or 5 bay battery charger to suit the needs of some people that can?t be proactive.

3) If you really have to use Apple?s charger simply because it?s from Apple (not because it fits your needs) then go buy the keyboard that uses two batteries.

4) Cheap chargers may not power up the entire battery making you think the batteries are poor or the device uses an excessive amount, and other chargers more power when simply sitting in the wall socket. The latter we know about, the former you can grab from the internet. It?s hard to understand why Apple would want to make a buck on selling an Apple branded charger designed for its current products.

5) It?s a flipping charger that seems to be better than any other charger I?ve seen on the market. It can charge any of these AA NiMH batteries and will likely be what many people buy alongside their Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. Do you really think they?ll want to run down to Radio Shack to see what deals they have going down there.It

6) Let?s recap: It comes with 6 batteries for a setup designed for 4 to be used at any one time. 6 minus 4 equals 2. That means there will be 2 batteries charged and waiting to be used when you need them. They want you to leave those two in charger and in the wall so that replacing them and finding them is simple.

How do you know it is better than any other charger when it hasn't even been reviewed yet? By the way, nice grammar in number 1. I see your education did you well for your typical smart-ass responses. Even with your brilliant math skills (I am amazed you can subtract), I am sure you have experienced a time when both your keyboard and mouse required a battery change at the same time. With your Apple Charger, that you seem to think is the best charger ever made, you will only have two batteries available for your dead keyboard and mouse. Since Apple provides a wireless keyboard and mouse that both use two batteries each, don't you think they should have offered the capability to charge 4 batteries at the same time and ship it with 8 batteries so you never have to worry about being short 2 batteries? Suckers will fall for it and buy it when pushed by an Apple Store employee. Later they will realize they wasted their money.
  • Reply 103 of 155
    Quote:

PS: If I were in need of these batteries I?d get the Sanyo Enelope USB charger with two AAs for $13. It can do a full quick charge in 2-4 hours, I don?t have to waste or look for a wall socket, and it will also charge AAA batteries.

But wait, in an earlier post you claim the Apple charger is the best you have ever seen. So which is it?
  • Reply 104 of 155
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    The charger is something I want. I'll be buying one soon.
  • Reply 105 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How do you know it is better than any other charger when it hasn't even been reviewed yet? By the way, nice grammar in number 1. I see your education did you well for your typical smart-ass responses.

See attacking grammar from an iPhone reply on a forum is the number one sign that you?ve already lost the argument. But since you bring it up, you should trying using paragraphs from time to time and I?ll try to type slower on my phone and proofread more often, though I tend to save that for replies to posters who are actually making thoughtful responses.

Quote:

<deleted personal attack>, I am sure you have experienced a time when both your keyboard and mouse required a battery change at the same time.

Nope, never have, and neither should any Mac user? for who this product is intended. Mac OS X reminds you that your batteries are dying. Any halfwit can see the message when it appears, switch the batteries and ?if? the other input device pops up with a warning you?ll have plenty of time before you?ll need to go "oh crap, I need to change those batteries I put in the charger last week?.

That?s a worst case scenario. If you are so foolish that you?ll let both your input devices get so low in power that they?d die at the same time or that you were too cheap to buy some extra batteries to have on the ready then I have no sympathy for you.

Quote:

With your Apple Charger, that you seem to think is the best charger ever made, you will only have two batteries available for your dead keyboard and mouse.

Don?t me put you in your place. You know very well that I said you should get the charger and number of batteries that suit YOUR needs, but you keep ignoring the fact that Apple?s current input devices use 2 each and come with a spare 2 so you?re always on the ready. It?re pretty fraking simple.

Quote:

Since Apple provides a wireless keyboard and mouse that both use two batteries each, don't you think they should have offered the capability to charge 4 batteries at the same time and ship it with 8 batteries so you never have to worry about being short 2 batteries? Suckers will fall for it and buy it when pushed by an Apple Store employee. Later they will realize they wasted their money.

As previously explained, that makes no sense since they discharge independently at different intervals and you get more than enough warning to charge them independently.

You need to learn to think things through and stop looking at the world from your PoV first before you open your mouth. Think then move, not the other way around.
  • Reply 106 of 155
    Quote:

But wait, in an earlier post you claim the Apple charger is the best you have ever seen. So which is it?

You care to back that up despite my numerous posts on this thread pointing out the technology Apple is using, other places selling rechargeable LSD NiMH batteries with various charger types to fit all needs, my relentless comments that a consumer should buy the product that suits their needs and my specific comment regarding buying a USB charger that would be on my desk and have the potential to also charge AAA batteries? Thought so.
  • Reply 107 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Last Friday after concluding Apple's batteries were probably rebranded Sanyo Eneloops. Don't get me wrong, I think Apple's battery charger is a decent product. With this caveat!

4 Eneloop AA + Battery Charger = 17.50 on Amazon

4 Eneloop AA =10.50 on Amazon

$28 for 8 AA Eneloop batteries + Charger = $3.50 per battery

$29 for 6 AA Apple Batteries + Charger = $4.84 per battery

Do you get a 10 year Warranty for replacement from any of those companies, Also is their chargers 10X more Power Efficient then Apples.

Answer for both NO.

Piece of mind for a few dollars is worth it, 10 years is 10 years, if they fail you get a free replacement from Apple.

Sure it's worth it.

For the haters you could package 10 batteries and they still would find something to squawk about thats Anti Apple.

You don't have to buy Apples offering it is an Accessory and that gives you Choice.

Note: MJ Web,

This is not a Attack on you, You made valid points, Allot of posters that seem to think they are being railroaded into buying this charger and ridiculing, but none have posted the benefit's and service you get when you purchase an Apple Branded product. This post was Addressing those issues and not your observations directly.
  • Reply 108 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hexor View Post

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated but these batteries (just like the Sanyo Eneloop batteries) discharge very little when sitting around. The packaging for the Eneloop batteries say it retains 85% of its charge after 1 year sitting around not being charged.

How do you know when Apple's choice of battery haven't even been tested yet? Bottom line is that all rechargable batteries do discharge over time. Some faster than others, and all of them will need to be replaced when they fail to retain a charge. When they fail to retain a charge, they tend to lose it quickly. Apple's 10 year claim is only based on a "designed cycle life." No guarantees. A standard alkaline also lasts longer than a rechargable battery. Funny how Apple doesn't even sell replacement batteries either, yet they claim their charger is best when used with their batteries. Your Sanyo batteries sell for about $10-$12 for 4 AAs. A 48-pack of AAs at Costco sells for $11.68. So how many times does that need to be repeated?

One reviewer on Apple's website said he charged them overnight and his keyboard only said 81%. He popped in new Duracells and got 100%. I am willing to bet he will be returning the Apple Charger.
  • Reply 109 of 155
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I've been using both Energizer 2500mWh and generic 2000mWh batteries in my camera. Both of them seem to die very quickly just sitting my in camera bag. Seems like I need to invest in some Sanyos.

Make sure that whatever you get, they are labeled Pre-charged or low discharge. These are different than the standard rechargeable.

If you look on Amazon, see the reviews by NLee the Engineer. He has tested and posted results for almost every battery and charger there is.
  • Reply 110 of 155
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:

So it only charges two batteries at a time? Doesn't do much good for the owners of the original Apple Aluminum Wireless Keyboard (or White Wireless Keyboard) that uses THREE batteries.

Actually it does help, and this is precisely the reason I'm buying one. Most of the chargers out there require you to charge batteries in pairs. Having three batteries makes it difficult to charge for the older bluetooth keyboard. The Apple charger is unique because it can charge either one battery or two batteries at a time.
  • Reply 111 of 155
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by no_more_BS View Post

Do you get a 10 year Warranty for replacement from any of those companies, Also is their chargers 10X more Power Efficient then Apples.

Answer for both NO.

Piece of mind for a few dollars is worth it, 10 years is 10 years, if they fail you get a free replacement from Apple.

You seem to be thinking these batteries come with a 10 year warranty.

They don't. They have the standard 1 year warranty.
  • Reply 112 of 155
    Quote:

Why don?t you point some items out then? Find me a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse from each of those companies that is exponentially more ?green? than Apple?s product using the same type and number of batteries. I double dog dare you.

I dare you to find anywhere on Apple's site or Apple's documentation that claims battery life in the mouse or keyboard. Good luck on finding it, because they don't advertise how long the keyboard or mouse will last on a single set of batteries.

After you insulted another user for being too lazy to use Google, I guess YOU are too lazy to do the same. I will make it easy for you.

http://us.kensington.com/html/11272.html

Keyboard uses two AAs and runs for 9 months based on 8 hours per day/5 days per week usage. I get a few months tops with my THREE battery keyboard and I am not using it 8 hours per day/5 days per week.

Think twice before you spout off your drivel.
  • Reply 113 of 155
    Quote:

1) You other batteries you have charged. What part of 80% after 1 year or 85% after 3 years with the design makes that an issue?

2) Then don?t buy Apple?s charger that they designed for their current products. Do you really expect them to release a 3 or 5 bay battery charger to suit the needs of some people that can?t be proactive.

3) If you really have to use Apple?s charger simply because it?s from Apple (not because it fits your needs) then go buy the keyboard that uses two batteries.

4) Cheap chargers may not power up the entire battery making you think the batteries are poor or the device uses an excessive amount, and other chargers more power when simply sitting in the wall socket. The latter we know about, the former you can grab from the internet. It?s hard to understand why Apple would want to make a buck on selling an Apple branded charger designed for its current products.

5) It?s a flipping charger that seems to be better than any other charger I?ve seen on the market. It can charge any of these AA NiMH batteries and will likely be what many people buy alongside their Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. Do you really think they?ll want to run down to Radio Shack to see what deals they have going down there.It

6) Let?s recap: It comes with 6 batteries for a setup designed for 4 to be used at any one time. 6 minus 4 equals 2. That means there will be 2 batteries charged and waiting to be used when you need them. They want you to leave those two in charger and in the wall so that replacing them and finding them is simple.

Quote:

They are pretty impressive.
    And to restate this again, you can get your batteries and charger separately and in any configuration you wish from wherever you wish, just make sure that the charger can sufficiently charge your batteries.

PS: If I were in need of these batteries I?d get the Sanyo Enelope USB charger with two AAs for $13. It can do a full quick charge in 2-4 hours, I don?t have to waste or look for a wall socket, and it will also charge AAA batteries.http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-USB-Ch.../dp/B0018BTPKQ

Quote:

You care to back that up despite my numerous posts on this thread pointing out the technology Apple is using, other places selling rechargeable LSD NiMH batteries with various charger types to fit all needs, my relentless comments that a consumer should buy the product that suits their needs and my specific comment regarding buying a USB charger that would be on my desk and have the potential to also charge AAA batteries? Thought so.

Here you go! I guess you were too lazy to look at your previous posts!
  • Reply 114 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Actually it does help, and this is precisely the reason I'm buying one. Most of the chargers out there require you to charge batteries in pairs. Having three batteries makes it difficult to charge for the older bluetooth keyboard. The Apple charger is unique because it can charge either one battery or two batteries at a time.

If you scroll down to "New Lineup of eneloop Chargers? you?ll see four bay chargers that offer "Triple-speed charging for one battery and double-speed charging for two batteries?.
  • Reply 115 of 155
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member
    Total bullsht. This is not price competitive. And option is no better than other options.

"Apple's pricing is competitive, and better than many competing options available today."
  • Reply 116 of 155
    Quote:

See attacking grammar from an iPhone reply on a forum is the number one sign that you?ve already lost the argument. But since you bring it up, you should trying using paragraphs from time to time and I?ll try to type slower on my phone and proofread more often, though I tend to save that for replies to posters who are actually making thoughtful responses.

Nope, never have, and neither should any Mac user? for who this product is intended. Mac OS X reminds you that your batteries are dying. Any halfwit can see the message when it appears, switch the batteries and ?if? the other input device pops up with a warning you?ll have plenty of time before you?ll need to go "oh crap, I need to change those batteries I put in the charger last week?.

That?s a worst case scenario. If you are so foolish that you?ll let both your input devices get so low in power that they?d die at the same time or that you were too cheap to buy some extra batteries to have on the ready then I have no sympathy for you.

Don?t me put you in your place. You know very well that I said you should get the charger and number of batteries that suit YOUR needs, but you keep ignoring the fact that Apple?s current input devices use 2 each and come with a spare 2 so you?re always on the ready. It?re pretty fraking simple.

As previously explained, that makes no sense since they discharge independently at different intervals and you get more than enough warning to charge them independently.

You need to learn to think things through and stop looking at the world from your PoV first before you open your mouth. Think then move, not the other way around.

So I guess when you have 17,000 posts, you can insult whoever you want?
  • Reply 117 of 155
    Quote:

Here you go! I guess you were too lazy to look at your previous posts!

You posted all that just to show "It?s a flipping charger that seems to be better than any other charger I?ve seen on the market.? A comment I stand by as I?ve seen no other charger that consumers 30mAh in standby. That makes it better than any other charger I?ve seen in that regard.
  • Reply 118 of 155
    Quote:

You posted all that just to show "It?s a flipping charger that seems to be better than any other charger I?ve seen on the market.? A comment I stand by as I?ve seen no other charger that consumers 30mAh in standby. That makes it better than any other charger I?ve seen in that regard.

Read the ENTIRE post next time. You claim the USB charger is better than the Apple charger, yet you previously claimed the Apple charger is the best. Or did that not show up on your iPhone screen?
  • Reply 119 of 155
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    You know it's gone to shit when there's a 100+ post thread on an Apple fan site arguing the relative merits of a battery charger.
  • Reply 120 of 155
    Quote:

Read the ENTIRE post next time. You claim the USB charger is better than the Apple charger, yet you previously claimed the Apple charger is the best. Or did that not show up on your iPhone screen?

Speaking of reading. I stated Apple?s charger seems better than other chargers on the market for standby power usage, the big feature it advertises over other chargers, and that the USB charger would be the one I?d choose for my needs.

I never said that either charger was best for all people?s needs, and even stated Apple?s charger obviously doesn?t fit your needs and that you should calm your ass down and start thinking rationally about the product they released and its intended audience.