Apple releases iOS 4.1 beta 3 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has made a third beta of iOS 4.1 available to developers, focusing on updates and enhancements to AV Foundation and Media Player, GameKit, UIKit and MapKit.

The update is the third release in just over three weeks, following the initial 4.1 beta that became available on July 14, and the second which was delivered July 27.

Developers who have seen the beta report that it includes a new API allowing apps to access contact thumbnail pics, as well as media playback enhancements that include new classes in AV Foundation related to file compression, reading/writing, and batched playback.

There is also significant progress with Game Kit and the Game Center app it powers. Once bundled in a shipping version of iOS, Game Center will allow players to track their game scores on leaderboards, find teams for group play, and track their in-game achievements.

Game Center was touted by Apple as a major feature of iOS 4, signaling the company's efforts to support and attract high quality mobile games to the platform while making it easier for developers to add basic gaming features and more consistent for users who play multiple games.

Game Center may ship with the final release of iOS 4.1 for iPhone and iPod touch, which is likely to hit in September/October. Apple is also preparing an update that will bring iOS 4.x features to iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Let's fix that proximity sensor, and see what can be done about that mobile Safari security hole while we're at it... Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 21
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    OT: anybody else notice how amazon.com shifts its home page up a fraction of an inch after loading? Click in the search box too soon and you're treated to a full-page kindle advertisement instead. I see this in safari. Adblock seems to be required.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    So does this finally add FaceTime support for iPhone 3GS?!

• Reply 4 of 21
    mewsmews Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Yeah for that front facing camera it doesn't have.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    It's strange because RTM version of iOS actually had a game center app. Wonder what happened.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

You can't be that stupid can you?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

OT: anybody else notice how amazon.com shifts its home page up a fraction of an inch after loading? Click in the search box too soon and you're treated to a full-page kindle advertisement instead. I see this in safari. Adblock seems to be required.

I believe the idea is to try and make the webpage look more like a native App by pushing the address bar off the screen. Google does the same thing with some of their web pages.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Oh come on! He is probably one of those people who take pictures of themselves in the bathroom mirror.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    M_____u_________s__t

h__________a______v___e

p___e_r___f_o____r_____m___a__n____c____e

i___m____p__r_o____v___e______m____e__n_t_____s

f____o__r

3__g

o____w_n____er___s
  • Reply 10 of 21
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

M_____u_________s__t

h__________a______v___e

f____o__r

3__g

o____w_n____er___s

I appreciate the time it took you to type that out. I know it probably won't make you feel any better, but iOS 4.0 runs great on my iPod Touch 16GB 2nd gen. It is actually about 20% faster than 3.1.3.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I appreciate the time it took you to type that out. I know it probably won't make you feel any better, but iOS 4.0 runs great on my iPod Touch 16GB 2nd gen. It is actually about 20% faster than 3.1.3.

Irrelevant.

gc
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I want to use it for the camera it DOES have, to show people things and events. The front camera is actually pretty impractical -- who wants to hold the camera out in front of their face perfectly for a long time anyhow? I sure do not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mews View Post

Yeah for that front facing camera it doesn't have.

• Reply 13 of 21
    Ad hominem attacks will get you everywhere.

So will being myopic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

• Reply 14 of 21
    bonesbones Posts: 10member
    Quote:

M_____u_________s__t

h__________a______v___e

f____o__r

3__g

o____w_n____er___s

Done.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Nevermind.. not worth it...
  • Reply 16 of 21
    jhysonjhyson Posts: 11member
    Quote:

M_____u_________s__t

h__________a______v___e

f____o__r

3__g

o____w_n____er___s

Dear Gordon,

Sounds like the perfect (and completely unintended) reason to get a new iPhone 4.

Love, Steve Jobs
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Here's an idea: give the 3GS (and the 3G) VoiceTime, a voice-only implementation of FaceTime so you can make free calls iphone-to-iphone even when you're out in the middle of nowhere as long as you've got WiFi access.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It's strange because RTM version of iOS actually had a game center app. Wonder what happened.

My best guess is that is was still far from being finished for 4.0 even though demoed back in the Spring. There seems to a feature with each major iOS release that has taken longer to appear than expected, however with this app I wonder if was ever intended for the June release, merely demoed and added to iOS 4.0 for devs to get started, with a more thorough demo and full release coming with the iPod/iTunes special event in the Autumn.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

M_____u_________s__t

h__________a______v___e

f____o__r

3__g

o____w_n____er___s

No problems here with my iPhone 3G. I did have then I did another restore and works perfectly for me.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Kind of screwy that they are putting off the proximity sensor update which is a BIG deal for some people to roll it out with the first major iOS 4 update. Heck, they put out the pointless signal bar display fix and that is definitely trivial compared to the proximity sensor issue.

I know that the wife will be VERY happy once iOS 4.1 comes out if for no other reason than the prox sensor fix. Seems that iOS 4 needs just some general stability improvements as well. I get lots of app crashes, especially with Slacker though this could just be the apps I suppose.