First look: Apple Battery Charger and AA batteries

Comments

• Reply 121 of 155
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by no_more_BS View Post

Do you get a 10 year Warranty for replacement from any of those companies, Also is their chargers 10X more Power Efficient then Apples.

Answer for both NO.

Piece of mind for a few dollars is worth it, 10 years is 10 years, if they fail you get a free replacement from Apple.

Sure it's worth it.

For the haters you could package 10 batteries and they still would find something to squawk about thats Anti Apple.

You don't have to buy Apples offering it is an Accessory and that gives you Choice.

Note: MJ Web,

This is not a Attack on you, You made valid points, Allot of posters that seem to think they are being railroaded into buying this charger and ridiculing, but none have posted the benefit's and service you get when you purchase an Apple Branded product. This post was Addressing those issues and not your observations directly.

Both Apple and Sanyo batteries have a one year warranty and I believe Apple is a rebranded Eneloop. Would you really have the Chutzpah to walk into an Apple store with a 9 year old battery and a receipt and insist on a replacement?
  • Reply 122 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

You know it's gone to shit when there's a 100+ post thread on an Apple fan site arguing the relative merits of a battery charger.

Can?t argue with that. On that note I?ll let hillstones stick his foot in his mouth one last time.
  • Reply 123 of 155
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    It is more expensive then Eneloop. I think the Apple one will be the new Eneloop with 1500 charge circle.

I dont know if the Amazon 's one are the new, if they are then apple is charging $8- 10 for their Low Power Charger.
  • Reply 124 of 155
    Because THAT is what they DO, their niche! Especially considering Apple's other rechargeables are Lithium-based.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why would they need to report that?

• Reply 125 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Because THAT is what they DO, their niche! Especially considering Apple's other rechargeables are Lithium-based.

Explain that to us again. what is ?that?, ?they? and ?do??

Regarding Apple?s other batteries, they clearly show the devices that use Li-ion batteries and state that these AA are NiMH batteries so I have no idea what issue you are taking with Apple over a lack of disclosure you think the average customers needs and wants.
  • Reply 126 of 155
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Don't know which is more pointless - reading this thread or watching the House of Representatives floor proceedings on C-SPAN. I know ... I'll go and wait for some paint to dry ...
  • Reply 127 of 155
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

you should calm your ass down

You are one MAJOR ASSHOLE! Just shut the fuck up already! Shit for brains.
  • Reply 128 of 155
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:

If you scroll down to "New Lineup of eneloop Chargers? you?ll see four bay chargers that offer "Triple-speed charging for one battery and double-speed charging for two batteries?.

You will also notice that product isn't on the market yet. I admit to not doing a lot of research, but I have been unable to find a charger other then Apple's that can charge one battery at a time.
  • Reply 129 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Both Apple and Sanyo batteries have a one year warranty and I believe Apple is a rebranded Eneloop. Would you really have the Chutzpah to walk into an Apple store with a 9 year old battery and a receipt and insist on a replacement?

Apple doesn't require receipts, so I would expect to ride in on my segway in 9 years with just the batteries. Although I doubt many would bother by then. In 9 years Apple keyboards and mice will be powered by your body heat, so no need.
  • Reply 130 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

$29 for a charger with unknown parameters? No, thanks

Look at La Crosse 9009. One of the best charger in the world:

- smart charging (best charging algorithm in the world)

- charges AAA and AA batteries

- charges AAA and AA at the same time

- charges up to 4 batteries

- has temperature contol

- comes with 4 AAA and 4 AA batteries and 4 C- and 4 D-size battery adapters

- comes with travel bag

- bought for $36 at Amazon

It looks nice, but it is actually $45 on amazon and normally costs $90. They all have temp control and the smart charging algorithm is for NiCADs. It doesn't say anything about energy efficiency. It also doesn't say if the included batteries keep a charge for long periods of time. So there are a lot more unknown parameters here.
  • Reply 131 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

This is one of the lamest Apple products ever made. That said, it will sell. Many people out there will think they need the Apple charger to go with their Mighty Mouse or whatever.

I will buy one. Six decent low self-drain rechargeables at $29 is a reasonable price, and the projected 10 year lifetime is worth investigating.

The lamest Apple products ever released were the iPod Socks.
  • Reply 132 of 155
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    what is it with apple and $29?
  • Reply 133 of 155
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah that doesn't sound too good, especially when they take 6 hours for each set. I really like the slow discharge though - I got cheap high Amp rechargeable batteries but they have awful discharge rates. They almost discharge all at the same time whether in use or not give or take a week or two.

The price here is also competitive. If they were as competitive with the international Mac Mini pricing, I'd be making two purchases. Sadly not, so £25 batteries it is.

Tip: Store in coldest part of refrigerator or top shelf of the freezer. Drops the self discharge rate of normal Nimh batteries to around a 2-3 percent per week. Allow the batteries to assume room temperature before use.

These new slow self discharge batteries are even better, loosing only a few percent per month at room temperature.
  • Reply 134 of 155
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but there are wall outlets that contain USB recharging sockets. No recharger required.

Good point, though from what I've seen they usually have to be installed in place of a normal power point.

I also think it would be fantastic if Apple put a USB plug on this, then it would make it the perfect under desk accessory to plug into an iphone dock and always have a couple of charged batteries handy.
  • Reply 135 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's true! Sticking the prongs between your fingers doen't charge the batteries as quickly as sticking them into the wall socket.

Ha! LOL!

• Reply 136 of 155
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I will buy one. Six decent low self-drain rechargeables at $29 is a reasonable price, and the projected 10 year lifetime* is worth investigating.

The lamest Apple products ever released were the iPod Socks.

"Based on designed cycle life and anticipated user scenario" - which I would respectfully suggest is to power keyboards, mouse and trackpads. I'm not sure it would be ten years if you're powering RC cars with them, despite the blurb.
  • Reply 137 of 155
    Parkinson?s Law of Triviality

Cyril Northcote Parkinson

The time spent on any item of the [meeting] agenda will be in inverse proportion to the sum involved. Thus a £10 million-project may be approved in two-and-one-half minutes, while an expenditure of £2,350 - a much easier sum to comprehend for a much smaller item, something easier to visualise - will be debated for an hour and a quarter, then deferred for decision to the next meeting pending the gathering of more information.

• Reply 138 of 155
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

what is it with apple and $29?

$29 for a batter charger and 6 AA batteries is MUCH better than $29 for a piece of rubber to wrap around your phone.
  • Reply 139 of 155
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

It looks nice but I can't help but feel that Apple blew it on the design of this thing. It really should have included at least one USB port for charging devices like the iPad or iPhone.

-kpluck

You need to understand that what Apple leave OUT of its products is its real genius.

No USB port - it is not DESIGNED to include a USB port.

Only 2 Batteries - Apple products only USE two batteries.

No fast charge - you don't NEED a fast charge.

If they included any of these things, it would not have been so insanely great as a charger.
  • Reply 140 of 155
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Who uses AA batteries anymore btw? I've had a logitech mouse and wireless headset with built-in rechargeable batteries going strong for about 4 years now... Besides 9 volts in the smoke detector and distortion pedals, I think i'm basically removeable-battery free.

If you buy a Magic Mouse and a wireless keyboard, you will be able to use the charger too. And then you can keep the additional two batteries fully charged.

Simple.