First look: Apple Battery Charger and AA batteries

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 155
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Recharge only 2 batteries at a time? No thanks.

They give you six batteries. You keep 4 of them in your Apple devices, and tow of them nice and fresh.

Two is the perfect number; that is why Steve chose 2. And it lessens the vampire draw. That is pure innovation.
  • Reply 142 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but there are wall outlets that contain USB recharging sockets. No recharger required.

But then Apple would need to put ugly USB ports on their devices.

This way is better.
  • Reply 143 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I

I've actually got a charger that charges 4 AA or AAA batteries, and it has a USB port for charging USB devices. And the real trick, if you are away from an AC source, you can use the charged batteries, or any disposable batteries, to power the USB port and charge your iPod, phone, etc.

Can you tell us the brand and model number?
  • Reply 144 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Methinks the designers assumed rather a bit too much in terms of usage scenarios for this product.

They are looking forwards, and not backwards. I predict that with this charger available, manufacturers will standardize on two battery systems. Any other number of batteries other than two AA will become obsolete very quickly.
  • Reply 145 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

iMagic.

iMagic! I love it!
  • Reply 146 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I've actually got a charger that charges 4 AA or AAA batteries, and it has a USB port for charging USB devices. And the real trick, if you are away from an AC source, you can use the charged batteries, or any disposable batteries, to power the USB port and charge your iPod, phone, etc.

Have you actually tried this device with the iPod and iPhone? In my experience, these devices cap the current at 500mA or just below 500mA, which is not enough to charge Apple devices.

I've got a power bar that has 4x500mA USB ports. None of the ports can charge an Apple device, not even the iPod Shuffle, though they can charge every other peripheral I've thrown at them. I'm relegated to using a 1A dedicated USB charger and leaving the 4 built-in USB ports unused.
  • Reply 147 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Personally, I would rather save a few bucks with high-rated off brand since the charger would be spending most of its life in a draw, not plugged into wall unless needed to recharge a couple batteries for a night once every couple months.

You get what you pay for. Get the Apple charger.
  • Reply 148 of 155
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Can you tell us the brand and model number?

-> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...cm_cr_asin_lnk

I found this one at my local King Soopers grocery store for ~$12.

Has a USB port which allows you to power/charge USB devices. Also has a jack for a 12VDC adapter to charge the batteries.

The charger is a "smart" charger which allows you to charge 1-4 batteries all independently and at the correct levels.

Duracell Precharged are simply relableled Eneloops. Work great and last a long time.

This is the exact same model but comes with a 12VDC cigarette lighter adapter.

Look around and you can probably find them easily for less than $20. (Target,Walmart, gorcery stores, discount stores, etc.)

The charger is much more important than the batteries as a crappy charger will destroy any batteries you have.
  • Reply 149 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

a flipping charger that seems to be better than any other charger I?ve seen on the market.? .

Then why are you planning to buy a cheap knock-off?
  • Reply 150 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Have you actually tried this device with the iPod and iPhone? In my experience, these devices cap the current at 500mA or just below 500mA, which is not enough to charge Apple devices.

I've got a power bar that has 4x500mA USB ports. None of the ports can charge an Apple device, not even the iPod Shuffle, though they can charge every other peripheral I've thrown at them. I'm relegated to using a 1A dedicated USB charger and leaving the 4 built-in USB ports unused.

One of the reviews on Amazon:

"But the main reason I bought this was to see if it worked with the iPhone, and it does! Take your USB iPhone or iPod cable and plug it into the USB plug and the other end to your iPhone and your good to go! It will charge your iPhone at least 2 or 3 times on one set of (4) batteries. For us iPhone users who don't have the option of having a spare battery, this comes in very handy."

That answers my question. It does look like a nice device, though I'm happy with my GP smart charger and I have a MiLi Power Crystal for my iDevices.
  • Reply 151 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I found this one at my local King Soopers grocery store for ~$12.

Has a USB port which allows you to power/charge USB devices. Also has a jack for a 12VDC adapter to charge the batteries.

The charger is a "smart" charger which allows you to charge 1-4 batteries all independently and at the correct levels.

Duracell Precharged are simply relableled Eneloops. Work great and last a long time.

This is the exact same model but comes with a 12VDC cigarette lighter adapter.

Look around and you can probably find them easily for less than $20. (Target,Walmart, gorcery stores, discount stores, etc.)

The charger is much more important than the batteries as a crappy charger will destroy any batteries you have.

That would have saved my bacon last weekend - I was camping and my iPhone went dead due to lousy reception. I wish Apple made a AA outboard iPhone recharger.
  • Reply 152 of 155
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Don't know which is more pointless - reading this thread or watching the House of Representatives floor proceedings on C-SPAN. I know ... I'll go and wait for some paint to dry ...

Yes, but it does give Google a chance to put "battery" ads at the bottom of each page.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with using a USB product. Unfortunately, I would have to go some place else to get a decent USB mouse. Apple has no clue. While the Apple keyboard works, it is far from perfect as well.
  • Reply 153 of 155
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Apparently Apple do some wonky things with resistors on the USB data lines to manage current draw based on what the iPhones sees it is connected to.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/08/mi...rging-methods/
  • Reply 154 of 155
    steffisteffi Posts: 16member
    Assuming it is that. So that would suggest you can use Eneloop USB charger with them too?

I have 4 AC Eneloop charger + 2 USB Charger and 6 Eneloop batteries

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

It is more expensive then Eneloop. I think the Apple one will be the new Eneloop with 1500 charge circle.

I dont know if the Amazon 's one are the new, if they are then apple is charging $8- 10 for their Low Power Charger.

• Reply 155 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Apparently Apple do some wonky things with resistors on the USB data lines to manage current draw based on what the iPhones sees it is connected to.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/08/mi...rging-methods/

That would make sense, but it seems much simpler than that. It seems that once you give the USB port enough power, the data lines don't matter at all.

In Hong Kong, these things are a dime a dozen, generally in white or black:

They come with either a 500mA or a 1000mA current rating. In all other ways they appear to be exactly the same.

The 500mA devices don't work with the iPhone. The 1000mA devices do.