iPad boosts Apple retail revenue 73%; new London store photographed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's retail store revenue increased 72.8 percent year over year to $2.58 billion in the June quarter, an increase attributed to consumer demand for the iPad. The company's retail expansion will continue this Saturday with the opening of its largest U.K. store in Covent Garden.

While visitors per store increased 38.7 percent in the three-month frame ending in June, and same-store Mac sales grew 21.8 percent, the real star of the show was the iPad, which helped non-Mac revenues grow 106.3 percent year over year. Analyst Charlie Wolf with Needham & Company on Wednesday issued a note to investors in which he detailed the role the iPad played in Apple's retail success last quarter.

"To place the ($2.58 billion) number in perspective, Apple Store revenues in June were greater than Apple's total quarterly revenues from the second quarter of fiscal 1996 through the fourth quarter of fiscal 2004," Wolf wrote.

Wolf has long referred to Apple's retail stores as the "fourth leg of the stool" in Apple's business model. That changed, he said in his latest note, with the iPad, which has joined the iPod, iPhone and Mac as a crucial element of the company's business. Still, he said, Apple's stores continue to represent a strong component of Apple, regardless of being overtaken by the iPad.

In all, Apple's stores accounted for 16.4 percent of the company's worldwide revenues in June, up slightly from the 15.3 percent they represented a year ago. Retail revenues have been on a decline since the second quarter of 2008, as iPhone sales through other channels, such as worldwide carrier partners, make up a larger portion of the company's sales.

First shots of Covent Garden London store

The latest retail store from Apple is set to open this Saturday, but electricpig.co.uk sent along pictures of the new store at Covent Garden in London. The two-story location stays true to the original architecture of the building, and the store will be the largest in the U.K.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

The company's retail expansion will continue this Saturday with the opening of its largest U.K. store in Covent Garden.

And there was me thinking that the Regents Street store was very big! Cool, can't wait to visit it.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

And there was me thinking that the Regents Street store was very big! Cool, can't wait to visit it.

Can't be seen in the shots here but it says its two storey so we need to see more!
  • Reply 3 of 38
    kyle76kyle76 Posts: 54member
    Covent Garden is a cool spot and easily reached by Tube. In fact, isn't the Underground retail store there?
  • Reply 4 of 38
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Not taking a dig at Microsoft, I'm their customer anyway, but anyone know about latest Microsoft store news? Haven't heard about it in quite a while.

Seems like even the press didn't ask about them last month.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Not taking a dig at Microsoft, I'm their customer anyway, but anyone know about latest Microsoft store news? Haven't heard about it in quite a while.

Never say never but it seems to me the MS retail experiment was half hearted. It was as if no-one really took them seriously. Having said that - if their research shows the existing stores to be successful at whatever they set out to achieve (not necessarily direct sales) they may continue and expand. If not, they'll fold the experiment.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Never say never but it seems to me the MS retail experiment was half hearted. It was as if no-one really took them seriously. Having said that - if their research shows the existing stores to be successful at whatever they set out to achieve (not necessarily direct sales) they may continue and expand. If not, they'll fold the experiment.

So I guess no news about new stores open lately then? How many are they exactly? 3? 4?
  • Reply 7 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Sure. They just announced that they had their 10th customer last week.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

So I guess no news about new stores open lately then? How many are they exactly? 3? 4?

No idea. The half heartedness of the enterprise inspired total disinterest. I wouldn't be interested anyway, so...
  • Reply 9 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sure. They just announced that they had their 10th customer last week.

Ouch! That hurts... Oh, Steve Ballmer... where are you? Asleep at the wheel again, I see.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:

No idea. The half heartedness of the enterprise inspired total disinterest. I wouldn't be interested anyway, so...

That also remind me why I have no idea myself.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:

There are currently 4 http://store.microsoft.com/Locations. They are 2 in Cali (Old Mission and Wale's Vagina) and 1 each in its suburbs of Arizona and Colorado.

BTW I Would love to visit MS store, especially if they had knowledgeable workers. Shopping for PCs for family and friends is terrible because selection in Best Buy et al is terrible and staff is technologically retarded, pushy and unhelpful. Yea, you can shop online, but some people just want to see the compns in person to understand what screen size, matte/unmatte, keyboard, slots, weight and so on they like.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

There are currently 4 http://store.microsoft.com/Locations. They are 2 in Cali (Old Mission and Wale's Vagina) and 1 each in its suburbs of Arizona and Colorado.

BTW I Would love to visit MS store, especially if they had knowledgeable workers. Shopping for PCs for family and friends is terrible because selection in Best Buy et al is terrible and staff is technologically retarded, pushy and unhelpful. Yea, you can shop online, but some people just want to see the compns in person to understand what screen size, matte/unmatte, keyboard, slots, weight and so on they like.

Their stores look really nice, more business-like. It will be more attractive when WP7 arrive I'm sure. They're also showing off Surface which is kinda cool.

But from the pictures it's kinda empty.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    So this one is bigger than the large Regent Street store and is only 1 mile away from it? That's crazy. That said, the Regent Street store is so busy these days it looks like they're always having a product launch.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:

4 stores

see this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20001565-56.html

and especially this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15952...le_stores.html

• Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Three more stores coming in WA, MN & IL: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...softfam30.html

"To reach consumers, Ballmer said Microsoft will open three more retail stores: in Bellevue Square, the Mall of America in Minnesota and Oakbrook Center in suburban Chicago."
  • Reply 16 of 38
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

So this one is bigger than the large Regent Street store and is only 1 mile away from it? That's crazy. That said, the Regent Street store is so busy these days it looks like they're always having a product launch.

Does that mean they're walking distance from each other?
  • Reply 17 of 38
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Just don't get the Microsoft stores. They tried one in the Metreon store in SF, when it opened - at the time, it was a hot spot. It was pointless. Why visit a store that is redundant? Just visit Fry's or Best Buy. It ended up being a disaster (as did the whole Sony Metreon experiment). Only people in the store were a couple of teenagers playing xbox. (once again, you can play all the platforms at Fry's to try then all out). Maybe the only reason for having a Microsoft store is that you may actually be able to talk to a live person for tech support (good luck with that). And somehow, Genius bar and Microsoft are so wrong together, so what will Microsoft call their "tech/customer support" area - Second Fiddle Support/Also Ran Support/So Not-asleep-at-the-wheel Support? Nah...Soft Support (sounds like a comfort bra, however, or a Microsoft supported Depends product (sorry bout that- it has been a slow morning, and I sooooo love to bash MS)
  • Reply 18 of 38
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Does that mean they're walking distance from each other?

It's less than a mile and an easy walk, so yes.

Answering the earlier question, yes the London Underground museum (and shop) are in Covent Garden. But you'd have a hard time finding anywhere in central London that isn't easily reachable by tube.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

and especially this:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15952...le_stores.html

That almost fooled me! LOL
  • Reply 20 of 38
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

So this one is bigger than the large Regent Street store and is only 1 mile away from it?

Less than a 20 minute walk if you believe Google Maps.

Quote:

That said, the Regent Street store is so busy these days it looks like they're always having a product launch.

Oh yes, it's crazy in there. There always seems to be about 50 Apple staff on the floor but the queues for everything are still very long.

I think London could easily accommodate another 2-3 stores.