RIM attempts to create Apple-like buzz with BlackBerry Torch event

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 154
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

From their Q3-2010 press release, conference call...
    "The Company sold 8.4 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 61 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter.?

"iPhone had an average selling price of $595.?
    Remember, that is their revenue per phone not profit.

But here is a reputable site that has run the numbers for you.
    Apple not only makes more profit than any other handset vendor but also is moving to make more profit than everyone else together.

Note, we?re talking about the entire handset market, not just smartphones. There is a reason why so Moto (and at least one other) have focused on a single high-end product at a time and have actually gone from red to black.

But if you don?t believe me you can read about it on this fanboy site: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1051937420091110

Ok ok Soli we get it, but not many companies can operate the way Apple does. Nokia and Moto make many cell phone models for all walks of life. Most of which have to be sold at a lower profit margin so consumers will buy them. The Torch looks like a decent device and I believe will sell well, and obviously so does ATT.
  • Reply 142 of 154
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dean812 View Post

IPhones trump ANY Blackberry. And when are they gonna learn that virtual keyboards are what pol want?! Instead of somev3 inch thick slider?! Rimjobs failsvagain.

That's not entirely true. I know lots of people that have given up their iPhones for a BB because they preferred a physical keyboard.
  • Reply 143 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Fox News is considered the most trusted news source in America and you're trying to equate it somehow to a single issue website.

the only folks who consider Fox news to be the most trusted news source are those who want to drink their koolaid. Please don't compare Fox with real journalism.
  • Reply 144 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Ok ok Soli we get it, but not many companies can operate the way Apple does. Nokia and Moto make many cell phone models for all walks of life. Most of which have to be sold at a lower profit margin so consumers will buy them. The Torch looks like a decent device and I believe will sell well, and obviously so does ATT.

Actually, they can all do what Apple does and many have started following suit and have finally turned a profit because of it.

I don?t know when or where this actually happened but consumers have gotten to a point of expecting a ?great? phone for free. That simply isn?t sustainable for the manufacturers who then have to compete with each other with selling a cheaper and cheap device to the carriers if they want to move volume (at least in the US). It?s like the low-end PC market, but much much worse.

My hope for Nokia is they split into two distinct divisions. One for the multitude of cheap handsets they sell and the other following Apple?s lead of focusing on a limited high-end selection with focus on an OS and UI that they don?t currently have. I think if they moved to Android but then followed HTC and made a UI that set their device apart they would do well. Apple basically did this when they moved from Mac OS to Mac OS X. Nokia can even create their own App Store with apps certified and vetted by Nokia to work well on Nokia phones to further focus on their core competencies while also still allowing users to install apps from any other source.

In any regard, they and others still have options.
  • Reply 145 of 154
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

the only folks who consider Fox news to be the most trusted news source are those who want to drink their koolaid. Please don't compare Fox with real journalism.

I didn't. Others compared Fox to AppleInsider.
  • Reply 146 of 154

... Might have some influence on "global warming":

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...ls-sun-waking/

• Reply 147 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Batten down the hatches!
  • Reply 148 of 154
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

For the same reason billions of people buy McDonald's hamburgers, or shop at Walmart .... price, price and only price .... certainly not because of them being of the highest quality. (and you're right .... buying such patently inferior products really is throwing your money away.)

The problem is that a BB and an iPhone cost the consumer the same amount of money. My wife bought her BB 9700 for $199, the same as an iPhone. So price is not the explanation.
  • Reply 149 of 154
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

I don't actually watch it but someone here was trying to equate AppleInsider and Fox News as being the same thing. Was it you? Either way it's unfair to try and trash either.

If you don't watch Fox News, how could you say it's unfair to trash it? It's like saying you've never heard what Hitler said, so it's unfair to trash the man.

As far as comparing Fox News to AI, I only do it on a superficial level. Obviously this is an Apple fan site, so you'll see bias in little things like I pointed out. There is an unspoken sense of journalistic integrity though, especially since these articles are being linked to by Google News, and because of that, I make the comparison to Fox News. Fox News says they're fair and balanced and blah blah blah, but their bias is clear.

Get what I'm saying? I only said anything to begin with because in this case, the title could have literally been anything. Just fill in the blank: ____-like buzz.

BTW, I waited a few days before posting this so as to not take the thread off course at the peak of the discussion. I think most people have moved on to other topics.
  • Reply 150 of 154
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

The problem is that a BB and an iPhone cost the consumer the same amount of money. My wife bought her BB 9700 for $199, the same as an iPhone. So price is not the explanation.

And how many BoGo iPhone deals are out there ... none. I'd be willing to bet that if you could "discover" the average selling price of all iPhones sold against all rimm phones sold the prices would not be the same, by a long shot.
  • Reply 151 of 154
    Quote:

And how many BoGo iPhone deals are out there ... none. I'd be willing to bet that if you could "discover" the average selling price of all iPhones against all rimm phones the prices would not be the same, by a long shot.

The subsidization does add a wrinkle to the equation. As seen in countries outside the US there are varying degrees of subsidy based on your plan and contract length. I think O2 offered a free iPhone with the most expensive plans. Really, the only measure worth using isn?t what the carrier does to attract business but what the vendor?s average price per handset is.
  • Reply 152 of 154
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:

And how many BoGo iPhone deals are out there ... none. I'd be willing to bet that if you could "discover" the average selling price of all iPhones sold against all rimm phones sold the prices would not be the same, by a long shot.

What does a BOGO have to do with it? You still have to shell out the money. Besides, the 3Gs is still available for $99, which is going to dilute your hypothetical "average selling price" of an iPhone. Even so, I am willing to bet that the prices are within $50 dollars or so, and this is not a deal breaker for a smart phone.
  • Reply 153 of 154
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

If you don't watch Fox News, how could you say it's unfair to trash it? It's like saying you've never heard what Hitler said, so it's unfair to trash the man.

As far as comparing Fox News to AI, I only do it on a superficial level. Obviously this is an Apple fan site, so you'll see bias in little things like I pointed out. There is an unspoken sense of journalistic integrity though, especially since these articles are being linked to by Google News, and because of that, I make the comparison to Fox News. Fox News says they're fair and balanced and blah blah blah, but their bias is clear.

Get what I'm saying? I only said anything to begin with because in this case, the title could have literally been anything. Just fill in the blank: ____-like buzz.

BTW, I waited a few days before posting this so as to not take the thread off course at the peak of the discussion. I think most people have moved on to other topics.

Fair points. I guess that's the thing, bias is everywhere we look as all of us on AI well know!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The comments section was the best part.
  • Reply 154 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Whenever I see this line, I (like many people) just think "automatic fail." Virtual keyboards have proven themselves to be faster and easier to use in general than the ones with the little plastic keys and this is a full-screen touchscreen phone for cripes sake.

Anyone making a phone in this day and age with a plastic slide-out keyboard is basically making a phone for old folks or for dizzy chicks that wear too much makeup and have long fingernails. there's nothing wrong with making a phone for that crowd, but having a big Apple-esque event and making out like this is a revolutionary new product just makes them look dumb IMO.

If you're going to have a big event and introduce a revolutionary new product, it should actually *be* revolutionary. This thing just isn't.

proven to who? that, is very much opinion. I type much faster with a physical keyboard... i just like touch screens for everything else.