Take a number: Steve Jobs turned away from busy San Fran pizzeria

Comments

• Reply 41 of 249
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The vanishing point for shadows are directly beneath the light source (the sun in this case) so they would be behind the camera, not in front of it.

The shadows should appear to point outwards from the center of the picture, not towards the center.

I hardly think so. Distant shadows are further away, and therefore appear smaller. The shadows of a line of telephone poles recede towards infinity along with the poles that generate them.

Sorry, I just got it. The vanishing point for shadows of vertical lines, such as telephone poles, depends on their distance from the light source, which in this case increases. The shadow of the leg of the person on the right, if that is what it is, is therefore completely wrong and should point more to the right than other shadows. So at least we know that the red lines do not prove anything either way.

The shadows vary in distinctiveness depending on the closeness of their origin to the ground, so it is a very confusing image. Rather than trying to prove or disprove either way, I would suggest taking a look at recent photos of Steve Jobs and seeing if we have seen this image before in a different picture.
  • Reply 42 of 249
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Obviously not written by an SF native.

Do not call it "San Fran" nor "Frisco." It's "The City." Or, if you're referring to it from outside the Bay Area, San Francisco works just fine.

Ha-ha. Being from Southern California, I like to call it "Frisco" once in awhile just to watch some pretentious Bay Area person go all red in the face.
  • Reply 43 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Even though the restaurant confirmed Jobs' appearance, some skeptical Internet commenters remained convinced that the photo of Jobs leaving the restaurant was doctored.

OMG.

Was this a photo of Steve Jobs with a hooker?

No.

Of him selling nuclear secrets to the Russians?

No.

Buying crack from a street dealer?

Not at all.

Why the Foxtrot would "Ryan" or anyone else even bother typing a single word claiming that a photo of a man simply walking out a restaurant where he was confirmed to have been was doctored?

Crikey, it must be the End Times....
  • Reply 44 of 249
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

He should buy the restaurant and fire the idiot.

Fired? For what - doing his job?

What do you think he should have done? Kicked someone out of their table so Jobs could have a seat? If he had done that, the idiot Apple bashers would be going crazy with "jobs thinks he's God" posts - and rightfully so.

The others got there first. Jobs didn't have a reservation. Jobs ate somewhere else. End of story.
  • Reply 45 of 249
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    I was going to post something, but after reviewing the posts, everything that can be said has been.

Just let me say that I found the lesson in how to debunk a photoshopped image by shadow analysis quite enlightening. The wire vs. pole error showed the prankster was not too sophisticated.

Flour + Water should deliver a pizza to Steve as a goodwill gesture for being involved (even unwittingly) into and invasion of his privacy.
  • Reply 45 of 249
    >>And that makes him better than the next guy? Please!<<<

In my book it does.
  • Reply 47 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Fired? For what - doing his job?

What do you think he should have done? Kicked someone out of their table so Jobs could have a seat? If he had done that, the idiot Apple bashers would be going crazy with "jobs thinks he's God" posts - and rightfully so.

The others got there first. Jobs didn't have a reservation. Jobs ate somewhere else. End of story.

Did you read the entire story? It seems clear that this has been shown to be a fake image. It never happened. Or if it did, someone went to a lot of trouble to create a fake image to illustrate a true story. Doesn't seem logical.
  • Reply 48 of 249
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    No Reservation?! Damn Steve, isn't there some kind of 'app for that' for the iPhone or iPad that you could have turned to and inquired about before being turned away? That's embarrassing!
  • Reply 49 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Why the Foxtrot would "Ryan" or anyone else even bother typing a single word claiming that a photo of a man simply walking out a restaurant where he was confirmed to have been was doctored

Did you even compare the shadow of Steve and others in the foreground to the pole and others in background? The "confirmation" is cast into doubt by the the cast shadows. Explain to me how cast shadows can be in two different angles. Two suns? Not in this solar system. The story may be true, but the photo is not. Would like independent confirmation to even believe the story at this point.
  • Reply 50 of 249
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    I bet you anything that this event will inspire Steve to create a small, handheld device that has always-on connectivity and the ability to run applications that make it possible to instantly make reservations for your favorite pizza restaurants. Now, if we can just come up with a name for this revolutionary and magical device!
  • Reply 51 of 249
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    FARRRRK ME... I didn't even realise this was already on Photobomb (the picture, not my caption)

http://thisisphotobomb.com/2010/08/0...other-clothes/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

(You can vote for it if you like it at: http://cheezburger.com/View/3830846208 )

• Reply 52 of 249
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Did you read the entire story? It seems clear that this has been shown to be a fake image. It never happened. Or if it did, someone went to a lot of trouble to create a fake image to illustrate a true story. Doesn't seem logical.

a random idiot on the internet claiming that an image is photoshopped is par for the course, now.

and does not make anything actually fake.
  • Reply 53 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs, one of the richest people on the planet, ...

A story about an argument on a forum somewhere about a photo of Steve Jobs?

Seriously?
  • Reply 54 of 249
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Don't they feature OpenTable in their iPhone ads?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

No Reservation?! Damn Steve, isn't there some kind of 'app for that' for the iPhone or iPad that you could have turned to and inquired about before being turned away? That's embarrassing!

• Reply 55 of 249
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Did you even compare the shadow of Steve and others in the foreground to the pole and others in background? The "confirmation" is cast into doubt by the the cast shadows. Explain to me how cast shadows can be in two different angles. Two suns? Not in this solar system. The story may be true, but the photo is not. Would like independent confirmation to even believe the story at this point.

you've never ever actually been outside, have you? walk outside, find a street, take a photo, examine it. reconsider your notions of what looks fake.
  • Reply 56 of 249
    None issue...he was reserving the table wrong.
  • Reply 57 of 249
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    "when he and a companion"

Uh, that would be HIS WIFE! See the blond coming out of the restaurant in aviators? That's Ms. Jobs.

Luckily Jobs wasn't pissed off. He could buy that restaurant 1000 times over. Hell, he can buy the entire block and go have ice cream without breaking a sweat.
  • Reply 58 of 249
    donarbdonarb Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Obviously not written by an SF native.

Do not call it "San Fran" nor "Frisco." It's "The City." Or, if you're referring to it from outside the Bay Area, San Francisco works just fine.

Obviously, who the f* cares?
  • Reply 59 of 249
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    dumb move by the restaurant's manager.
  • Reply 60 of 249
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

I hardly think so. Distant shadows are further away, and therefore appear smaller.

And?

Quote:

The shadows of a line of telephone poles recede towards infinity along with the poles that generate them.

But they go from the vanishing point (the sun) outwards.