Unconfirmed case illustrations show upcoming iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

It is in the dock - different from what we are used to seeing but it is there.

but then where is the music icon?
  • Reply 42 of 62
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

but then where is the music icon?

Possibly it is the hour but I don't remember a music icon per se. There is usually the iPod and iTunes (and of course the App Store). Are you referring to the iPod icon? Is it possible that in something besides the US (en) version of iOS that there is a "Music" icon but I am not aware of same.

\
  • Reply 43 of 62
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Except then developers will have to choose...create a low rez screen that will look poor scaled up on an iPhone or create a high-res screen that won't scale down well, or at all, to the touch. Sure, Apple could tell developers to create screens/graphics for both resolutions, but that makes it that much more work.

Apple wants to encourage as much iOS development as possible. A Retina display on the touch would mean a single set of graphics would display well on iPhone, iPad, and the touch.

Apple actually does encourage providing both - the previous iPhones and Touchs did not go away when the iPhone 4 was released.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    bikerbiker Posts: 1member
    Why do people look at the ipod itself and the OS on it?

Isn't it about the case here? the ipod in there is photoshoped!
  • Reply 45 of 62
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Possibly it is the hour but I don't remember a music icon per se. There is usually the iPod and iTunes (and of course the App Store). Are you referring to the iPod icon? Is it possible that in something besides the US (en) version of iOS that there is a "Music" icon but I am not aware of same.

\

The UK has "always" had: mail, calendar, photos, contacts, YouTube, stocks, maps, weather, voice memos, notes, clock, calculator, Settings, iTunes, music, video, Safari & App Store by default on the iPod touch.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I think the touch will continue to use the current display.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ridiculous. Apple will certainly want current iPod Touch users to upgrade. There's no way I'll upgrade my 32GB Touch unless there's a retina display. Even with the A4, a camera, whatever. No retina display, no upgrade. I think a lot of other latest generation Touch users would agree with me.

I don't think Bregland's comment is ridiculous at all. I'm a previous Touch owner, and while I'd love a retina display if it comes, it's really not a big deal to me. Sure, I can see the difference, but the existing display is already quite good.

What IS a big deal to me is a rear-facing still/video camera. Without that there's nothing to compel me to upgrade at all. But, having a decent quality camera saves me the cost of buying a new digital camera to replace my slightly broken one. So the cost is a total non-issue, and in fact, I'd come out ahead because I can sell my current Touch.

My exact situation might be unusual, but think of the millions of people that buy digital cameras every year now - especially with Christmas coming. If the new Touch has a decent camera that even approaches the quality of the fairly inexpensive (under $200) standard digital cameras, it becomes a no-brainer because the iPod Touch offers so much more. They will sell a gazillion during the holidays.

Nothing wrong with your desires, but the bottom line is simply that everyone has their own pet issues, features and needs that they want addressed.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    While everyone else is throwing around their ideas, here are mine...

1. Front/back cameras: If apple is really going to push to make FaceTime a standard, I think think that they are going to go all out on it and include it in (both?) new iPods they release.

2. Updated A4 chips inside.

3. 512 MB RAM (at least)

4. Still 32/64GB RAM

5. Gyroscopes included (for improved gaming experience) (I think that GPS will be included in the next, 5G, version)

6. 802.11n compatible

7. Aluminum unibody (possibly carved into a similar dimensions as the iPhone 4)

8. "Retina Display" on the 64GB model (at least) but I think that it will be provided by a different manufacturer than that of the iPhone.

9. The current 32GB (3Gen) version will slide down to the $199 price point.

10. Still use external microphone/speaker (headphones)
  • Reply 48 of 62
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

While everyone else is throwing around their ideas, here are mine...

1. Front/back cameras: If apple is really going to push to make FaceTime a standard, I think think that they are going to go all out on it and include it in (both?) new iPods they release.

2. Updated A4 chips inside.

3. 512 MB RAM (at least)

4. Still 32/64GB RAM

5. Gyroscopes included (for improved gaming experience) (I think that GPS will be included in the next, 5G, version)

6. 802.11n compatible

7. Aluminum unibody (possibly carved into a similar dimensions as the iPhone 4)

8. "Retina Display" on the 64GB model (at least) but I think that it will be provided by a different manufacturer than that of the iPhone.

9. The current 32GB (3Gen) version will slide down to the $199 price point.

10. Still use external microphone/speaker (headphones)

Nice list, looks like mine from a few weeks ago with a few exceptions.

1. yes

2. yes

3. yes

4. yes

5. yes (but no GPS later)

6. yes

7. no. separate design from the iPhone 4, iPad, and current iPod Touch.

8. Retina on both 32 and 64GB

9. yes and no. The $199 price point will be held by a new 16GB 3rd Gen

10. no. Built-in mic. You have to have this for both Facetime and video recording.

11. I'd also add twice the battery life.

Still, pretty good.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I am wondering about the screen. Will they go Retina or leave it as is?

They would be stupid not to. The retina display is positively gorgeous, and makes every i-LCD screen they've used look pathetic by comparison, including the higher resolution iPad.

This iPod touch really needs to be all of the following, I'm just wondering which Apple will leave out to differentiate (and disappoint)?

-Unibody aluminum design (like a tiny iPad).

-5 megapixel Camera with Flash. HD video recording, of course.

-Retina Display

-Apple A4 processor

-512mb of RAM

-16, 32, 64 gb of storage.

-FaceTime camera on the front.

That's literally all Apple needs to do to bring the iPod touch up to par with the iPhone 4. And that's really all it needs. Most people use this one for music and games, so I won't be surprised if there is some small "new" feature related to music that is only for the iPod touch. I also expect Game Center to be released at the same time and be a big part of the demonstration of the new iPod touch.

What they really need to do is have a new iPad with the same exact features, ready to go in September.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    A couple of notes:

Where is the antenna cover? If the iPod touch is still made out of metal, they'll have to put a plastic cover on it to let the wifi signal come through.

If it's still made out of metal, the photo makes it look like the aluminum back of the iPad. I personally, would love it if they got rid of the chrome back and used the aluminum from the iPad.

I also don't think they're going to get rid of the curved design for this iPod touch. Why does it have to be flat like the iPhone 4? The iPhone 4 is a special case because it's got glass on both sides and I know for sure that the iPod touch won't have glass on both sides.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by p.straf View Post

I think this is more real:

http://www.news-apple.sitew.com/#A_la_une_.A

That's stupid. It's just a picture of an iPhone 4, and from the front only. Also kind of lame they are calling it the "iPod 4G" since there isn't a chance in a million that they would call it that.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

-Apple A4 processor

-512mb of RAM

That made me giggle. The A4 processor is not Apple's. As I predicted in April. It is a re-badged Samsung Hummingbird.

I think they should stick the camera inset in the top and sit a flippable prism in front of it so the camera could be both front and rear facing, depending on which way you flip the prism.

I think the Touch is going to have to be fairly highly spec'd just to compete with phones. I have a Wave and the thought of getting a Touch would never cross my mind. They should put a better camera in it than the iP4 has to differentiate it a bit, but Apple has shown they won't allow the Touch to ever upstage or advance beyond the iP4 in any feature so Cinderella will just have to stay at home.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    Nevermind...
  • Reply 54 of 62
    p.strafp.straf Posts: 17member
    Some differences I found:

• Reply 55 of 62
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    The single one thing I wish they'd fix, they haven't. I hate how the headphones plug into the bottom of the iPod Touch. This is so backward.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

The single one thing I wish they'd fix, they haven't. I hate how the headphones plug into the bottom of the iPod Touch. This is so backward.

This is one thing that I don't actually mind about the iPod touch. When you put it in your pocket, it's upside down with the cord coming out the bottom. This way, when you wanna check something, you slide it out of your pocket and it's already facing the way that you'll want to look at it. If you pull your iPod out top out first, you have to then flip it to look at it right.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

I'd much rather see the camera be on the front of the device for facetime over having one on the back. (both wouldn't be bad)

But seriously... why not have a front facing camera for facetime with this. It would be another way to push that standard.

I don't understand why everyone is so quick to call the mockup a fake. Consider that the source is a case manufacturer. Such manufacturers would have informtation on the critical dimensions, but not necessarily a real, working prototype.

This supposed case could be 100% real and the Touch could still have a front-facing camera, include Face Time, etc since the case isn't blocking the area where such a camera is likely to be. Similarly, why would a case manufacturer have the details on the OS? Comments should be limited to the physical dimensions of the case not what appears on the screen mock-up since the manufacturer doesn't need to know about those details to make a case.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ridiculous. Apple will certainly want current iPod Touch users to upgrade. There's no way I'll upgrade my 32GB Touch unless there's a retina display. Even with the A4, a camera, whatever. No retina display, no upgrade. I think a lot of other latest generation Touch users would agree with me.

The retina display is a constrained part for their high end product. Diverting it to a mid-range product would be really dumb unless Apple has found a way to both increase production and reduce cost. I remain convinced that Apple want the retina display to remain an exclusive feature of the iPhone for this product cycle.

The primary target market, and one that will need very little to convince to buy, is owners of the 1st generation touch. That device is slow and cannot run iOS 4. A secondary target market is the the 2nd generation touch owners who have gotten a taste of iOS 4, but cannot multitask with it. Simply adding multitasking and a camera will be enough to convince many of them to make the jump. Dramatic performance improvements from the A4 should convince most of the remaining 2g owners.

Another typical strategy to induce upgrades is offering more storage, but I have conflicting concerns about that.

- Apple must do something to make the nano more appealing and it has already got features that the touch doesn't have. Increasing the storage seems like the only thing left.

* BUT *

- It appears that the price of flash has gone up since last year and Apple almost never absorbs increased costs in any product.

I think Apple has stopped caring about the traditional iPod and will let the nano languish with minimal improvements and possibly a slight price decrease.

As already outlined I think bringing multitasking to the entry level model, boosting performance with the A4 and adding a long awaited camera will be sufficient to drive new and repeat sales of the iPod touch.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    In terms of wish lists how about headphones that don't suck from both a fit and audio performance standpoint?
  • Reply 60 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The retina display is a constrained part for their high end product.

I keep hearing this again and again from posters here, but except for the case of the white glass due to paint issues, I haven't seen a single report that the Retina Display is holding back production.

The display has never, EVER been a differentiating feature between the iPhone and the iPod Touch. The differentiating features have always been cellular data, the rear facing camera and the GPS. I don't think Apple needs to add yet another differentiating feature.

Also, there's no indication that Apple's profit for the iPod Touch is any less than their profit for the iPhone.