FTC believed to be investigating Apple's anti-Flash stance

Comments

• Reply 41 of 348
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

The FTC would be thinking of restraint of trade or things like that.

I see no requirement for supporting that monstrosity. And now, with the iPhone 4, I have to kill apps like my GPS that keeps the GPS on while it's in the background, and kills the battery.

Let's see how many Froyo phone users do exactly the same thing with Flash.

Yes, the antitrust laws are meant to prevent restraint of trade in its various forms and by its various methods. From what I've seen, Adobe is spitting into the wind on this, but if they file a formal complaint, the FTC is virtually obligated to look into it. Not that those who can't ever be convinced that these laws exist won't rattle on about how this can't be happening, and even if it is, that it must somehow be illegal, immoral, or fattening.
  • Reply 42 of 348
    If Apple doesnt want to support Flash thats upto them. If consumers dont like it theres plentyo f other smart phone platforms they can buy instead. If Adobe can force Apple to do this by complaining to the government then its about time Red Hat, Oracle, Novell and all the other Linux vendors made a complaint that Adobe should support Linux with Photoshop and the rest of its "creative suite" bloated and buggy thing that it is
  • Reply 43 of 348
    They still make Flash?
  • Reply 44 of 348
    Black & Decker refuses to support Flash on my toaster. We should sue them, too.

On a less ridiculous note, Adobe is having Apple investigated for anticompetitve actions, saying that Apple is preventing Adobe from having a monopoly on the internet. Right.
  • Reply 45 of 348
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Black & Decker refuses to support Flash on my toaster. We should sue them, too.

Cute, but nobody is being sued.
  • Reply 46 of 348
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

No. When did this happen?

news to my ears also.
  • Reply 47 of 348
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Some Flash apps are bad. Some iOS apps are bad.

Some Flash apps are good. Some iOS apps are good.

It has nothing to do with quality.

Apple could have plenty of awesome cross-platform apps that still go through quality control, but Apple doesn't want that. Apple wants control.

Apple is using non-competitive tactics.

As a Flash developer & an iOS dev, I can unequivocally conclude that Flash is a complete crock of shite in comparison.
  • Reply 48 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

As a Flash developer & an iOS dev, I can unequivocally conclude that Flash is a complete crock of shite in comparison.

Show us.
  • Reply 49 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Click to flash on an Android, great!

Click to Flash is the only reason that my G4 Cube still lives on the innertubes.

Best program ever, all of my friends use it to block this vile crap.
  • Reply 50 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Cute, but nobody is being sued.

I know, it was just part of the exaggeration
  • Reply 51 of 348
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

Show us.

He doesn't have to, he's clearly giving an opinion, which he's entitled to.
  • Reply 52 of 348
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Lot confusion on this thread. Apparently many are mistaking Flash, as in, the garden variety swf, with the completely different Flash native file that has been ported to an iPhone compatible application. Two entirely different things. Kind of like the novices who think Java and Javascript are the same thing. We know you guys hate Adobe, but at least get the facts straight.

Other misconceptions:

Flash cannot run on iPhone - WRONG Flash 1 can using Gordon.js

Flash is for lazy developers - WRONG Flash is so easy that non-experts can do simple things

Flash ported iPhone apps have never been available - WRONG several were accepted by Apple

Flash is responsible for Mac crashes - WRONG only Flash programmers cause crashes

Adobe doesn't care about Mac users - WRONG Adobe sells a lot of pro applications for Mac
  • Reply 53 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

He doesn't have to, he's clearly giving an opinion, which he's entitled to.

I didn't say he had to; I'm honestly curious if he has metrics to offer, or just hyperbole.
  • Reply 54 of 348
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Anyone else here notice that RationalTroll is grasping at straws. (Or is he grasping at straw men?) And he even admits he has no idea what he's talking about

He's grasping at SOMETHING. That's why his posts are so loony - it's hard to type with one hand on the keyboard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I don't care if flash lives or dies. What I care about is websites having to accommodate to Apple, all because Apple doesn't want to work with Adobe like Microsoft did (even then I don't REALLY care because I'm not a web developer ).

The difference is that no one has to accomodate Apple. As Android fans are so eager to point out, Android phones are allegedly outselling iPhones right now - and RIM is outselling both of them. If someone doesn't want to support the iPhone, there are plenty of other phones customers can choose.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CraigAppleW View Post

3/4 of all web video is Flash based

The best advertising is Flash based

The best interactive content is Flash based

All The best movie sites are done in Flash

Flash is extensively used by ALL the big boys. For a reason.

Even if all of that drivel were true, so what? If it were true and if customers were really eager to use Flash, then they wouldn't buy iPhones and Apple would only be hurting itself. Adobe could put Flash on RIM or Android or WinMob phones to their heart's content (if they ever get a usable version that works on those phones).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CraigAppleW View Post

People that hate Flash are just those who hate advertising...which is the only viable financial model for most web sites.

ClicktoFlashers are no different than software pirates: Entitled, sophmoric, selfish, and shortsighted.

That's one of the stupidest arguments I've ever seen on this site - and that's saying a lot.

People who use ClicktoFlash are choosing not to install a plugin on their browsers and choosing NOT to look at part of the internet. Just how in the world does that equate to stealing property that isn't yours?

(Hint: Flash is not the only way to advertise on the web. Advertisers are free to use any other version of advertising if they want their ads to be seen. Instead, they choose to use Flash, even knowing that a lot of people can't see it).
  • Reply 55 of 348
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The vast majority of the time, they result in no further action or an agreement from the company to change practices which violate competition laws.

Exactly. It's an investigation. If it leads to something, that will be worth reporting.

As for any action on Apple's part (such as any agreements) don't hold your breath. Nothing Apple is doing is remotely close to violating any laws.

Talk about a non-issue (but great blog fodder!)
  • Reply 56 of 348
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

How many people here honestly believe that the iPhone SDK, which destroyed Adobe's investment in making a Flash deployment option fully compatible with all previous versions of the SDK license

Actually, it wasn't compatible with the original SDK license. People were reading into it what they wanted to.

Much like the Antennagate press conference where Apple basically pointed out that there was nothing particularly wrong with the iPhone 4 antenna (and there isn't - don't bother) all Apple did was clarify.

Basically because they felt they had to. Adobe was hoping to make enough fuss to get Apple to back down - Apple doesn't work that way, and they found out just how little that tactic got them.

If Adobe lost any investment, it was a calculated loss, not an innocent "we got screwed by Apple" loss. They gambled and lost - boo hoo.
  • Reply 57 of 348
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:

Show us.

here's the video and article. Enjoy.

Adobe Flash crashes twice during mobile demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqFTx8rLsg

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/was-ap...ile-demo/34268
  • Reply 58 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone

Lot confusion on this thread. Apparently many are mistaking Flash, as in, the garden variety swf, with the completely different Flash native file that has been ported to an iPhone compatible application. Two entirely different things. Kind of like the novices who think Java and Javascript are the same thing. We know you guys hate Adobe, but at least get the facts straight.

Other misconceptions:

Flash cannot run on iPhone - WRONG Flash 1 can using Gordon.js

Flash is for lazy developers - WRONG Flash is so easy that non-experts can do simple things

Flash ported iPhone apps have never been available - WRONG several were accepted by Apple

Flash is responsible for Mac crashes - WRONG only Flash programmers cause crashes

Adobe doesn't care about Mac users - WRONG Adobe sells a lot of pro applications for Mac

Couple of points:

Yes non-experts can even do simple things with Flash. That doesn't mean that lazy developers don't flock to Flash - it gives multi-platformness for free, at the expense of huge performance costs and making optimization impossible.

Games have been recreated using Apple's platform, which Apple always has an still is allowing.

Why do the same Flash apps cause crashes on Mac that doesn't on Windows?

Yes, they make their applications for Mac as well, that's true. But they are amongst the most poorly designed apps ever, completely ignoring Apple's Human Interface Guidelines. Such a simple paradigm like Command+Comma for application Preferences isn't even carried over. They don't care about Mac users - they care about money. Getting the FTC to investigate Apple had everything to do with money and nothing to do with giving users a better experience, as confirmed by people in this very thread telling how bad Flash on Android is.
  • Reply 59 of 348
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

here's the video and article. Enjoy.

You've clearly missed the point of the article starting this post, my original post, Monstrosity's post, and my question to him.

Your video showed a browser crashing.

The topic is about Apps built natively in Objective-C compared with Apps built in Flash and compiled.

Welcome to the thread (try to keep up).
  • Reply 60 of 348
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:

I didn't say he had to; I'm honestly curious if he has metrics to offer, or just hyperbole.

you have metrics for your side of the party?