Browser-based 'jailbreak' website blocked at Apple retail stores

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After a number of pranksters uploaded videos of themselves "jailbreaking" demo iOS devices on display at Apple's retail stores, the company has blocked access to the website from its networks.

The jailbreakme.com URL is used to conduct a browser-based jailbreak of iOS devices -- the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch -- by taking advantage of a PDF security hole found in the Mobile Safari browser. Users jailbreak devices to run unauthorized software and make modifications to the iOS operating system that can potentially void the warranty of the device.

Soon after the jailbreak was released this week, some users began uploading videos of themselves to YouTube, completing the process and vandalizing equipment in an Apple store while attempting to conceal their efforts from the retail employees.

Apple quickly caught on to their efforts, however, and reports from others who attempted the act now say that the company has banned access to the jailbreakme.com website on Wi-Fi networks at its stores.

While the jailbreak process is legal and carries no malicious intent, the exploit utilized to crack the iOS 4 operating system is potentially dangerous and could be used to give a nefarious hacker remote control of someone's phone by simply getting them to visit a website on their phone. Apple this week revealed that it already has a fix in place for the PDF exploit, and it will be included in a forthcoming update to iOS devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the jailbreak process is illegal and carries no malicious intent, the exploit utilized to crack the iOS 4 operating system is potentially dangerous and could be used to give a nefarious hacker remote control of someone's phone by simply getting them to visit a website on their phone. Apple this week revealed that it already has a fix in place for the PDF exploit, and it will be included in a forthcoming update to iOS devices.

Apple is smart to delay their release of the fix they have in place for the PDF exploit. They should wait until they figure out how to brick all the jailbroken iPhones with the update.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    Jailbreak isn't illegal since 1 week... just avoids the warranty.
  • Reply 3 of 91
    Quote:

While the jailbreak process is illegal and carries no malicious intent

"illegal"? Shouldn't that read "legal"?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Apple is smart to delay their release of the fix they have in place for the PDF exploit. They should wait until they figure out how to brick all the jailbroken iPhones with the update.

?Are you serious?
  • Reply 4 of 91
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post

?Are you serious?

No he isn't serious. Don't take the bait.
  • Reply 5 of 91
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I think it's rather childish to go to stores and JB their equipment. Yes it's legal to JB, but I'm pretty sure that refers to a device that you have purchased for yourself.
  • Reply 6 of 91
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I guess this will stop some in store jailbreaks. Anyone with a mobile hotspot or a phone that can act as one will still be able to do it.

Next: remotely loading and installing Android on a jailbroken iPad demo unit.
  • Reply 7 of 91
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple quickly caught on to their efforts, however, and reports from others who attempted the act now say that the company has banned access to the jailbreakme.com website on Wi-Fi networks at its stores.

Not good enough Apple:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/06/a...-jailbreaking/

This is a serious exploit on every single iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and needs to properly patched ASAP.
  • Reply 8 of 91
    tcphototcphoto Posts: 65member
    Perhaps consumers would like to see how the Apple hardware runs on Jailbreak compared to iOS4. It's obvious that Apple did not thoroughly test their software. I am a longtime Apple user but their performance as of late reminds me of MS, Toyota and BP.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Perhaps consumers would like to see how the Apple hardware runs on Jailbreak compared to iOS4. It's obvious that Apple did not thoroughly test their software. I am a longtime Apple user but their performance as of late reminds me of MS, Toyota and BP.

Which if they want to see how jailbreak works, they can go to youtube and watch it.

Remember, these are corporate display models (aka, not owned by the users jailbreaking them)

I don't agree with people jailbreaking (or rooting) store owned devices. I think if you want to jailbreak your device, you should. but don't mess with someone elses property (which jailbreaking a store model is doing)
  • Reply 10 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Okay?would love to hear your explanation for this.

Are you Darth Stevo's errand troll or something?
  • Reply 11 of 91
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    At least we in America still lead the world in something: douche bags who think it's funny to screw things up for the rest of us. Apple Stores have always been very open and welcoming, allowing all comers to try the devices for themselves. Much more of this behavior and we'll all have to make appointments to touch anything, and under supervision. If so you can thank jerk wads like these.
  • Reply 12 of 91
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

I don't get it. Would jailbreaking my iPhone 3G make iOS 4 run smoother?
  • Reply 13 of 91
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

At least we in America still lead the world in something: douche bags who think it's funny to screw things up for the rest of us. Apple Stores have always been very open and welcoming, allowing all comers to try the devices for themselves. Much more of this behavior and we'll all have to make appointments to touch anything, and under supervision. If so you can thank jerk wads like these.

I hope that anyone caught trying to bypass the security(?) and jailbreaking using another source will be dragged out the store by store security and banned from all apple stores for the remainder of their lives >.>
  • Reply 14 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Sadly, others may be inspired to try this. Good point though, this is a perfect example of how a few idiots end up ruining things for everyone else.
  • Reply 15 of 91
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Just turn off wifi in settings and jailbreak on 3G in their stores...
  • Reply 16 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

as I suggested in a post above:

I hope that anyone caught trying to bypass the security(?) and jailbreaking using another source will be dragged out the store by store security and banned from all apple stores for the remainder of their lives >.>
  • Reply 17 of 91
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Wouldn't it better to just fix the exploit?
  • Reply 18 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I wonder if I walked into one of Microsoft's retail stores and installed ubuntu on their systems, would I get away with a simple banning?
  • Reply 19 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Wouldn't it better to just fix the exploit?

i meant in the meantime :/
  • Reply 20 of 91
    zynikerzyniker Posts: 75member
    Quote:

No, it isn't obvious that Apple "did not thoroughly test their software." Do you have proof of this? iOS 4 actually runs well on most devices. Quite frankly, those with older devices should be happy that Apple sees fit to bring them new features at all. Attempting to make mobile software that runs on current generation phones (read: iPhone 4) and on considerably older generation phones (read: iPhone and iPhone 3G) is a daunting task. Those devices have quite disparate computing power.

I actually own an iPhone 3G that I've updated to iOS 4. It runs well. If you are having trouble, reset your phone. That simple step fixes any 'issues' for most users.

Your comments about BP (at least) are childish. BP is doing an excellent job addressing the spill and was actually hindered by the government at multiple points in time. Further, BP was not the company that made the errors that led to the spill, it was not a BP crew that caused the explosion, most of the oil has already been remediated, and BP, as a whole, is actually a relatively "good" company. Look into the numbers, BP is a major producer of "alternative energy". Stop repeating what you hear on TV, it makes you look uninformed and puerile.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Yes, because, clearly, Apple will have all the devices in-store both activated and on a live subscription. While they use microcells in-store, do you really think they want to leave their product demonstrations at the mercy of AT&T's network?