Taking iPhone 3G to France for semester

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So I am going to be studying abroad in France for the fall (form about September - December). I really don't want to go a whole semester without my iPhone, plus it would be really useful having things like the Paris subway app, etc for getting around. ATT basically has no legitimate international plans--I was in Paris for one week last summer and ended up getting like a $300 bill because the international data plan was only like 1.3 mb a day, and the international calling plan only lowered charges to $0.99 a minute. Obviously this isn't feasible for a whole semester.

Does anyone have any experience with taking an iPhone to Europe who would be willing to guide me through the process? I'm thinking there has to be a way to jailbreak the 3G and buy a prepaid SIM card from Orange that includes data...right?

Anyway, I would appreciate the help soooooo much. Thanks a lot!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nobody can tell me what to do/how to do it? doesn't anyone have experience with using an iphone in europe???
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Jailbreaking doesn't let you use a sim card, you need to unlock it, which is a separate process.

Certainly turn data roaming off as international rates are high. You can perhaps check out mobile wifi hotspots, that you can take around with you and then use Skype for calls.

Even check out if you can get a cheap Android phone when you are abroad that you can turn into a mobile hotspot for your iPhone to use or just use the Android phone when you are abroad and sell it before going home.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mornmorn Posts: 5member
    Pick up an iPhone 4 in France. They sell them unlocked.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by niteflyp38 View Post

So I am going to be studying abroad in France for the fall (form about September - December). I really don't want to go a whole semester without my iPhone, plus it would be really useful having things like the Paris subway app, etc for getting around. ATT basically has no legitimate international plans--I was in Paris for one week last summer and ended up getting like a $300 bill because the international data plan was only like 1.3 mb a day, and the international calling plan only lowered charges to $0.99 a minute. Obviously this isn't feasible for a whole semester.

Does anyone have any experience with taking an iPhone to Europe who would be willing to guide me through the process? I'm thinking there has to be a way to jailbreak the 3G and buy a prepaid SIM card from Orange that includes data...right?

Anyway, I would appreciate the help soooooo much. Thanks a lot!!

Jailbreak your iPhone 3G, Unlock it, get a suitable France plan for voice and data. Please don't be a victim of telco RoamingRape™

I don't think many here can guide you step by step, but basically there is JailbreakMe to jailbreak then Ultrasn0w to unlock. Just research those (carefully!) then try it out.

Warning & Disclaimer: To be done at your own risk, research carefully before doing it.

DO NOT USE iOS 4. Keep it at iOS 3.1.3
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Jailbreaking doesn't let you use a sim card, you need to unlock it, which is a separate process.

Certainly turn data roaming off as international rates are high. You can perhaps check out mobile wifi hotspots, that you can take around with you and then use Skype for calls.

Even check out if you can get a cheap Android phone when you are abroad that you can turn into a mobile hotspot for your iPhone to use or just use the Android phone when you are abroad and sell it before going home.

Personally I wouldn't fiddle with an Android phone just for this purpose, I would just jailbreak and unlock... Especially for the 3G it's pretty simple nowadays.

To Original Poster : DO NOT USE iOS 4. Keep it at iOS 3.1.3
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    He-he. I think ``anyone' ' provided all their expertise above.

For really useful answers address directly and put as much of politeness as your mom could only have told you. It will never be too much anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

He-he. I think ``anyone' ' provided all their expertise above.

For really useful answers address directly and put as much of politeness as your mom could only have told you. It will never be too much anyway.

I didn't think I was impolite in any way; I'm very grateful for the answers. I was looking for someone who had unlocked their iPhone before and taken it to Europe who could give me a more in depth, step-by-step guide to doing it, since I am just kind of unsure of how to. But I will definitely google the things that were suggested above for unlocking, etc.

So thanks for the help, and if there is someone who has done it before and wants to give me a more step by step answer, i would also greatly appreciate that!!