Apple adds Genius recommendation tab to iPad App Store

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A mobile version of Apple's Genius recommendation feature, which suggests applications to users based on their account activity, has been added to the main navigational tabs found on the iPad App Store.

Users who launch the App Store application on their iPad will find the "Genius" tab prominently displayed at the bottom of the iPad. The Genius feature has been placed to the right of the "Updates" tab.

The placement is more accessible than on the iPhone or iPod touch, where Genius does not have its own separate tab at the bottom. Instead, users of those smaller devices must choose the "Featured" option, and then select "Genius" from the top row.

On the iPad, the other tabs remain: Featured, Top Charts, Categories and Updates.

App Store recommendations were first introduced with the release of iOS 3.1 last September. The Genius feature aims to make it easier for users to find new applications on the App Store, which has become extremely large with more than 225,000 options.

The Genius feature analyzes application purchases made by users, and then recommends similar software that users may find useful for their iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. The same approach, and "Genius" branding, are used for recommended music purchases and generated playlists within iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    This is the upgrade tab. It is pretty cool because it shows which iPhone apps have iPad companions that you can buy.

Very smart.

I'll probably find myself buying a lot of upgrades soon.

• Reply 2 of 7
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I saw that last night. I just assumed it had always been there and I just had missed it somehow.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Cool addition. I think it'll be very helpful for customers.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Genius: May I recommend the fart app?

Me: Does it have deep ones?

Genius: Oh yes sir, the deepest.

Me: Make it so.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    I don't understand how a genius for apps works. What's the point of recommending 'similar' apps? How does it come up with recommendations? Why do I want another todo app, for instance?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    One thing that still isn't present in the iPad is games sub-categories. On the iPhone, it's very comfy to be able to browse by puzzle, simulation, cards, arcade or whatever. The games category is so huge that it's unwieldy to navigate it monolithically. I may be wrong but I don't see that feature yet.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I don't understand how a genius for apps works. What's the point of recommending 'similar' apps? How does it come up with recommendations? Why do I want another todo app, for instance?

I'm pretty sure it would recommend another app in the "Productivity" category(or whatever category that falls under), not necessarily a todo app.