Apple rumored to hold August event to unveil new iPod lineup

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple could hold its iPod-centric event sooner than the expected September timeframe, with an event rumored to take place either Aug. 16 or 17.

Citing a "reliable source within Apple," Brazilian publication MacMagazine reported Friday (via Google Translate) that Apple will hold an event either Aug. 16 or 17, a Monday or Tuesday. That would be sooner than the September timeframe in which many have expected that Apple will introduce its new iPod lineup.

The publication said that the music and media-centric event will be used to introduce a new iPod touch with a front-facing camera for FaceTime, as well as a rear camera with flash for taking pictures. It also said that Apple will add a gyroscope to the next-generation iPod touch -- all features found in the recently released iPhone 4.

The alleged August event would coincide with a recent rumor that suggested Apple would launch an updated version of its iLife suite this month. That report alleged that all of the applications -- iPhoto, GarageBand and iWeb -- would be upgraded to 64 bits, and that a new "mystery" application would be a part of the package. It also claimed that iDVD would not be included, and instead would be made available for download like iMovie HD.

Rumors of Apple's upcoming iPod refresh have gained considerable steam this week, with rumored products, illustrations of third party cases, and even purported components of Apple's next-generation iPod touch surfacing online.

Last year's media event, where the iPod nano with a video camera and FM tuner was announced, was held on a Wednesday, Sept. 9.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    If so, the invites go out next week.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

If so, the invites go out next week.

August, iPod... Smells fishy to me.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    tac22tac22 Posts: 20member
    My guess is your wrong appleinsider. I'm willing to bet it will be an event that goes over ios 4.0 for ipad, maybe some ilife 11 and possible new redesigned macbook air (though my guess is that will come later in the year)

However i foresee no new ipods before the back to school promotion ends early september
  • Reply 4 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

August, iPod... Smells fishy to me.

2007 was the last time they held a Special Event in August, but that may have only been for new Macs with an iPod/iTunes Special Event being held in September. I can?t seem to find a list of these events to verify.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tac22 View Post

However i foresee no ipads before the back to school promotion ends early september

With Apple selling iPads as fast as they can make them, I don't foresee a refresh or a second/smaller form factor iPad until spring.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2007 was the last time they held a Special Event in August, but that may have only been for new Macs with an iPod/iTunes Special Event being held in September. I can’t seem to find a list of these events to verify.

Previous iPod events:

September 9, 2009.

September 9, 2008.

September 5, 2007.

September 12, 2006.

September 7, 2005.

• Reply 7 of 42

Thanks, and in 2004 the iPod/iTunes event was in late October. I was thinking of August with the Mac special event.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Apple is getting the jump on Xmas this year.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tac22 View Post

My guess is your wrong appleinsider. I'm willing to bet it will be an event that goes over ios 4.0 for ipad, maybe some ilife 11 and possible new redesigned macbook air (though my guess is that will come later in the year)

However i foresee no new ipods before the back to school promotion ends early september

Sorry Tac but I think it's YOU that is way off base. This would be the perfect time to introduce new iPod Touches. School is just about to begin in the US. Sales are already happening or soon to start. As far as an iLife 11 (ELEVEN!!??) How about we get iLife 10 first. Why you jumping a whole year? Wouldn't hold my breath for a redesigned MacBook Air...
  • Reply 10 of 42
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

With Apple selling iPads as fast as they can make them, I don't foresee a refresh or a second/smaller form factor iPad until spring.

Why did you change his post? He said he doesn't foresee a refresh or a second/smaller form factor IPOD until spring. NOT IPAD....
  • Reply 11 of 42
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Awesome iLife 11 and a new iPod touch that shoots video. Maybe the "special" add on is a lite version of iMovie for the ios4 so you can edit movies on the fly on the new iPod touch and iPad. :-)
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

would be upgraded to 64 bits, and that a new "mystery" application would be a part of the package

I'd like to see a plugin for Garageband which allows better editing for musical notation, iMidi anyone?
  • Reply 13 of 42
    munciemuncie Posts: 47member
    The iTouch will realize its full potential for me when it has all the built-in features needed for a wifi (VOIP) phone - essentially an ear speaker and a mic. I know you can do it now with microphone-headphones, but to have a subscription-free device that essentially behaves like a cell phone when in range of wifi would be great. But you still need the right app to make it work...

Add an upgrade to the built-in Phone App that gives it the option of connecting via VOIP and it would be awesome.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Thank God Apple will finally release an iPod update before all high school and college students are back in school. Actually, very few will be back in school by mid-August.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I think the mystery app will be a HTML 5 editor/content creator.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Apple still sells iPods?

While the Touch may still have a future, the traditional iPod has certainly fallen out of the limelight.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    jeazjeaz Posts: 4member
    It seems odd that they'd refresh their iPods while the back-to-school campaign is still running (the one that gives you an iPod "nearly" for free). It ends Sep 7th, which fits well for a Sep 9th event or something similar, like previous years.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Apple still sells iPods?

Sure why wouldn't they? It's still a very profitable business. They sold more iPods last quarter than iPhones. A good chunk of that are Touches but they *are* iPods. (stand alone, contract free)
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeaz View Post

It seems odd that they'd refresh their iPods while the back-to-school campaign is still running (the one that gives you an iPod "nearly" for free). It ends Sep 7th, which fits well for a Sep 9th event or something similar, like previous years.

They've done it before, if I remember correctly, but only by a week or so. I think the new iPods were excluded from the Back To School offer.

A couple things your post made me consider:
    1. This year's updates make it financially viable to announce and release new iPods weeks before Back to School is over.

2. The rumoured August Special Event will be about Mac focused, leaving September for the iPod/iTunes Special Event, like they've done in the past. For instance, new iLife, iWork, a preview of Mac OS X 10.7 and a major overhaul to one or more products in their Mac line.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

Sure why wouldn't they? It's still a very profitable business. They sold more iPods last quarter than iPhones. A good chunk of that are Touches but they *are* iPods. (stand alone, contract free)

And even when not counting the iPhone, which is obviously cannibalizing many iPod sales, they're holding their YoY unit sales. I even recall one quarter being a 1% YoY, which I thinking pretty damn impressive.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    Not a chance.

Sounds like someone got set up to see if they'd release the info. They are probably now unemployed.