Browser-based 'jailbreak' website blocked at Apple retail stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    zynikerzyniker Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I wonder if I walked into one of Microsoft's retail stores and installed ubuntu on their systems, would I get away with a simple banning?

No, most likely you'd be sued on a number of property-related counts (including trespass and destruction of property).

(Of note: The aforementioned reaction applies to most companies that retail electronics [or software], not just Microsoft.)
  • Reply 22 of 91
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

Yes, because, clearly, Apple will have all the devices in-store both activated and on a live subscription.

well, yes actually.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    the people who post here seem to have no clue or are paid Apple trolls.

Jailbreaking damages nothing, the whole "voiding warranty" thing is because Apple wants to dissuade people from using the devices they own in a way that doesn't maximize Apple's or AT&T's revenue.

The pirating software argument is a similar straw man. People jailbreak their phones and iPads because they want to use prepaid SIM cards when traveling or MyFi because it's retarded to have multiple "unlimited" data subscriptions, one for each device, when an iPad could easily access the web through the iPhone, etc.

And yes, jailbreakme.com works in the retail stores even without resorting to 3G despite the block, just use a bit of creative thinking...

Jailbreaking is fully reversible, just do a restore of the device, which Apple likely does routinely on their display models anyway because random people fingering any hardware will inevitably mess up settings, delete preinstalled demo apps, etc.

Get a clue people, jail breaking display phones will not affect Apple's retail operations in the least.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphone4idiots View Post

Some of you are way uptight. Yes its immature, but doing juvenile things is fun sometimes. I'm pretty sure you do worse things. Think I'll go back with MyWi on my iPhone 4 and do a few more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwP6J2N5V20

The guy in that video looks almost 40... you would think he would have grown up by now.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

well, yes actually.

I believe they are running them through a microcell (likely with some filters in place), though. So it's not a "real" 3G connection to AT&T's network you're getting. It's a moderated 3G connection to impress users without showing them the ugly side of Apple's mobile products (AT&T's network).

If Apple has not implemented filters on the 3G access, then that is a major oversight on their part.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Jailbreaking damages nothing, the whole "voiding warranty" thing is because Apple wants to dissuade people from using the devices they own in a way that doesn't maximize Apple's or AT&T's revenue.

The pirating software argument is a similar straw man. People jailbreak their phones and iPads because they want to use prepaid SIM cards when traveling or MyFi because it's retarded to have multiple "unlimited" data subscriptions, one for each device, when an iPad could easily access the web through the iPhone, etc.

And yes, jailbreakme.com works in the retail stores even without resorting to 3G despite the block, just use a bit of creative thinking...

Jailbreaking is fully reversible, just do a restore of the device, which Apple likely does routinely on their display models anyway because random people fingering any hardware will inevitably mess up settings, delete preinstalled demo apps, etc.

Get a clue people, jail breaking display phones will not affect Apple's retail operations in the least.

Totally irrelevant post. I don't have a problem with jailbreaking. It's when you jailbreak mine that we have a problem.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Perhaps consumers would like to see how the Apple hardware runs on Jailbreak compared to iOS4. It's obvious that Apple did not thoroughly test their software.

No. They don't care. The wonders of jailbreaking are always way overstated on tech forums. Geeks are smart, but often not very sensible.

As to the rest of your post, please go troll elsewhere. iOS is a dream to use on an iPhone 4. Works just okay on a 3G. Then again, it's a 3G. 3GS probably runs it better.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Seems to me that the pranksters are performing vandalism. I would hope that Apple would get the law enforcement involved and have You Tube/Google to provide information on who uploaded the videos. I haven't seen the videos, but I guess that the prankster's faces might be shown. It would be clear evidence that could be used to prosecute.

Better Yet, MAYBE, Apple is utilizing the face recognition software that they have in iPhoto and is comparing the faces with those on Facebook. Now that I think about it. I wonder if the FBI is combing thru Facebook photos and is compiling a large database of faces to names. We are all being watched!

Hmm, I'm starting to think I watch too many movies.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

I believe they are running them through a microcell (likely with some filters in place), though. So it's not a "real" 3G connection to AT&T's network you're getting. It's a moderated 3G connection to impress users without showing them the ugly side of Apple's mobile products (AT&T's network).

If Apple has not implemented filters on the 3G access, then that is a major oversight on their part.

over in the uk they don't appear to use microcells, although even of they do you can switch over to the BT openzone community wifi in my towns apple store.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Just turn off wifi in settings and jailbreak on 3G in their stores...

You must be one of the shitwads that thinks this is funny...wouldn't work on 3G anyways dumbass. They blocked the URL...
  • Reply 31 of 91
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I think it's rather childish to go to stores and JB their equipment. Yes it's legal to JB, but I'm pretty sure that refers to a device that you have purchased for yourself.

Jailbreaking is only allowed on something you own.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Wouldn't it better to just fix the exploit?

Are you not paying attention? What do you think Apple has been working on? Keep up!
  • Reply 33 of 91
    Quote:

The guy in that video looks almost 40... you would think he would have grown up by now.

He's 37 and yeah...what a little bitch...
  • Reply 34 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After a number of pranksters uploaded videos of themselves "jailbreaking" demo iOS devices on display at Apple's retail stores, the company has blocked access to the website from its networks.

The jailbreakme.com URL is used to conduct a browser-based jailbreak of iOS devices -- the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch -- by taking advantage of a PDF security hole found in the Mobile Safari browser. Users jailbreak devices to run unauthorized software and make modifications to the iOS operating system that can potentially void the warranty of the device.

Soon after the jailbreak was released this week, some users began uploading videos of themselves to YouTube, completing the process and vandalizing equipment in an Apple store while attempting to conceal their efforts from the retail employees.

Apple quickly caught on to their efforts, however, and reports from others who attempted the act now say that the company has banned access to the jailbreakme.com website on Wi-Fi networks at its stores.

While the jailbreak process is legal and carries no malicious intent, the exploit utilized to crack the iOS 4 operating system is potentially dangerous and could be used to give a nefarious hacker remote control of someone's phone by simply getting them to visit a website on their phone. Apple this week revealed that it already has a fix in place for the PDF exploit, and it will be included in a forthcoming update to iOS devices.

The shithead douches doing this are soon going to find themselves banned from the stores and knowing Jobs....he'll have them arrested for vandalism of Apple property.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Jailbreaking is only allowed on something you own.

Which is what I said.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Quote:

Are you kidding? I hope the cops show up and try and arrest me. A lot of good it did Apple trying to arrest the guy that found the prototype iPhone 4. Why is this vandalism?? These are display models for your use. If I added wallpaper with a picture of Steve doing something disgusting is that vandalism??

Yes, I'm 37 and I hope I'll still be doing immature things when I'm 67. It's Friday time to go drink. Maybe if we shared a few pints you'd seem like an OK guy coolcat, but I doubt it.

It's become obvious that he's either a troll or a halfwit. Either way, he's not worth the time.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    Quote:

I don't get it. Would jailbreaking my iPhone 3G make iOS 4 run smoother?

jailbreaking makes using your device easier and more efficient.

a few examples:

1. sbsettings: with 2 taps, from any app, turn on/off: 3g, data, gps, wifi, etc.

quick access to disable these services can save hours of battery life.

2. my3g: use skype or facetime from your 3g connection

3. ultrasn0w: use your phone on a different carrier or different country

4. ssh: change your device root password for security reasons

you should try it, and if you don't agree with me then tell us the reasons you disagree.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Apple is smart to delay their release of the fix they have in place for the PDF exploit. They should wait until they figure out how to brick all the jailbroken iPhones with the update.

This guy is probably scared of installing linux on his precious windows PC. With his logic MS should brick all PC's that have safari installed or Apple should brick all Macs with Office installed. Before disagreeing with Jailbreaking, you should do the following:

1. make sure you understand its legal

2. try it yourself

3. if you dont like it reinstall iOS in DFU mode

after you reinstall iOS in DFU you still get warranty repairs, no questions asked.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:

Are you kidding? I hope the cops show up and try and arrest me.

Me too. It would flat make my week to see you and your fellow morons frog-marched out in handcuffs....

• Reply 39 of 91
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

It doesn't matter if it's easily erased, or easy for the store to reset (or even that it's safe).

The fact remains is that the people doing this do NOT own those devices, so it is not their right to decide what's to be done with them. If someone took your phone an unjailbroke it without your permission (even if it was still easy to rejailbreak) wouldn't you be pissed that someone was doing things to your device without your permission?
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Perhaps consumers would like to see how the Apple hardware runs on Jailbreak compared to iOS4. It's obvious that Apple did not thoroughly test their software. I am a longtime Apple user but their performance as of late reminds me of MS, Toyota and BP.

The last bit of your comment I'm not understanding - in what way exacting is Apple reminding you of Microsoft (I assume, and not muscular dystrophy) Toyota and BP? How does blocking jailbreaking at Apple Store on Apple-owned devices equate to the activities of any of the above companies at any point in their history? Disregarding for a moment the complexity of maintaining browsers (which is why every asshat with an opinion doesn't build their own I guess), how does being a longtime Apple user matter in the course of your opinion? For example, you may not have known but Marvin, one of our illustrious moderators here not only moderates this blog, but also run a pre-eminent Fortune 50 electronics company with some of the leading devices preferred by consumers world-wide. Which is why he can deliver the incisive and revelatory commentary that he does. With the background and experience as CEO of such a company he has immediate and valid insights into the intricacies of maintaining the complex ecosphere of his devices and therefore is qualified without question to comment accurately about Apple faux pas. It is wise to take guidance from him as well as the many other well-founded commenters in this fora.

[END HUMOROUS IRONY]