Browser-based 'jailbreak' website blocked at Apple retail stores

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Okay?would love to hear your explanation for this.

Are you Darth Stevo's errand troll or something?

This is techstud on the proper medicine dosage - and obviously over-compensating for past commentary.
  • Reply 42 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

the people who post here seem to have no clue or are paid Apple trolls.

Jailbreaking damages nothing, the whole "voiding warranty" thing is because Apple wants to dissuade people from using the devices they own in a way that doesn't maximize Apple's or AT&T's revenue.

The pirating software argument is a similar straw man. People jailbreak their phones and iPads because they want to use prepaid SIM cards when traveling or MyFi because it's retarded to have multiple "unlimited" data subscriptions, one for each device, when an iPad could easily access the web through the iPhone, etc.

And yes, jailbreakme.com works in the retail stores even without resorting to 3G despite the block, just use a bit of creative thinking...

Jailbreaking is fully reversible, just do a restore of the device, which Apple likely does routinely on their display models anyway because random people fingering any hardware will inevitably mess up settings, delete preinstalled demo apps, etc.

Get a clue people, jail breaking display phones will not affect Apple's retail operations in the least.

Lets run some reality checks against these claims shall we?

Quote:

Jailbreaking damages nothing

Which of course means that the half dozen or so iPhones unrecoverably bricked by my friends during their attempt to jailbreak them are mere figments of their imagination - they will be relieved to know that.

Quote:

pirating software argument is a similar straw man

because no one, anywhere at anytime has used jailbreaking to download apps they didn't pay for (when the apps were offered under a price point), yep. Never happened. Ever.

Quote:

And yes, jailbreakme.com works in the retail stores even without resorting to 3G despite the block, just use a bit of creative thinking...

because the demo accounts on the instore iPhones can be switched from the store WiFi to 3G to do it - not even especially creative, besides being stupid and adolescent in general. Perhaps you would allow me to come over a pee in your coffee cup? Many cultures regard urine as a healthy alternative to other beverages - which makes it OK.

If you are going to offer clues to other please at least offer clues that are useable, not this drivel.

• Reply 43 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Apple is smart to delay their release of the fix they have in place for the PDF exploit. They should wait until they figure out how to brick all the jailbroken iPhones with the update.

no, they shouldn't. it's my device, i can modify it how i want to, just like the US courts recently said

apple bricking hardware on purpose only leaves them in legal hot lava. yes, i'm taking the risk and voiding my warranty, but that doesn't mean apple has the right to attempt to brick my hardware on purpose just to make a point.

why would you ever advocate the needs of a corporation over an individual?
  • Reply 44 of 91
    Quote:

the people who post here seem to have no clue or are paid Apple trolls.

Look who's oinking.

Quote:

Get a clue people, jail breaking display phones will not affect Apple's retail operations in the least.

You know what? Keying your own car is not against the law, so by your logic, you can go key the new cars at a dealership... it's reversible with a few days in the body shop. Go ahead and try it. If you're so convinced you have "the right" to do it, why hide what you're doing from the retail employees? Just do it in front of them. Then you can practice jailbreaking with a bail bond.
  • Reply 45 of 91
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    this goes back to what were discussing in an earlier thread about hackers, virus writers and similar low-lifers, anyone caught unloading a video of themselves wrecking other people properties (such as those pranksters) should have the same meted out to them. Whilst they are out and about vandalising, they should have their houses, cars or van trailers (where undoubtedly some of them live) totally ransacked and burnt to ground and then having the video posted on youtube, right next to their iPhone vandalising video. That should be fun
  • Reply 46 of 91
    Quote:

You know what? Keying your own car is not against the law, so by your logic, you can go key the new cars at a dealership... it's reversible with a few days in the body shop. Go ahead and try it. If you're so convinced you have "the right" to do it, why hide what you're doing from the retail employees? Just do it in front of them. Then you can practice jailbreaking with a bail bond.

\t

Well said!!
  • Reply 47 of 91
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    Everyone in an APPLE STORE is being video taped by security cameras. So for the few idiots going to APPLE and screwing up their property beware. YOU"RE ON CANDID CAMERA .
  • Reply 48 of 91
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Those kids who modify the software of the demo devices in stores are clearly doing something illegal (since they are not the owners); further posting it on youtube reveals their intention to attract attention to themselves by their actions, something that often comes with the age.

Having said that, I do not believe their transgressions deserve such an outcry as I read in this thread. There are far worse vandalisms that would have more serious economic consequences and that the kids could be doing. See Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" if your local newspaper is not enough to give you good examples.

Get some perspective, people. Lighten up, it's just a bunch of gadgets in a store.
  • Reply 49 of 91
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I think I'll go down to a BMW dealership and glue Hyundai badges on to the cars, I mean it shouldn't affect the people who work there's ability to make a living.

Bunch of spoilt, whining Americans who think it's funny to f**k up someones day at work.
  • Reply 50 of 91
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I guess this will stop some in store jailbreaks. Anyone with a mobile hotspot or a phone that can act as one will still be able to do it.

Next: remotely loading and installing Android on a jailbroken iPad demo unit.

No wait, I would rather load BackBerry OS.
  • Reply 51 of 91
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Me too. It would flat make my week to see you and your fellow morons frog-marched out in handcuffs....

Yes, I agree...totally nothing but vandalism.

While, it's "legal" for me to pour a cup of water on my MacBook, I think that if you did it in the store, they would not be to happy!
  • Reply 52 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cferreira View Post

Jailbreak isn't illegal since 1 week... just avoids the warranty.

This is poppycock. If you do something that damages the phone, then you voided (not "avoid") the warranty because something you did damaged the phone. If you do something that does not damage the phone, then you do not void the warranty. The logical implication of the claim is that if you jailbreak the phone, you will damage it. This is poppycock.
  • Reply 53 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaisersoze View Post

This is poppycock. If you do something that damages the phone, then you voided (not "avoid") the warranty because something you did damaged the phone. If you do something that does not damage the phone, then you do not void the warranty. The logical implication of the claim is that if you jailbreak the phone, you will damage it. This is poppycock.

You are wrong.

If you install a supercharger onto your Ford Mustang, you void the warranty on the engine - even if you have not not damaged it by doing so.

Warranties are contracts. If you violate the terms of the contract, then you have voided the contract (warranty). If the warranty says you can not replace the OS and you do so, then doing so voids the warranty - even if it doesn't do any damage.

Now, there are those who argue that it's OK because you can reinstall the original OS. That is a rationalization to try to hide the fact that they have broken the contract by doing something not allowed. The fact that they MIGHT be able to return things to what THEY THINK is the original condition doesn't change that.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

You must be one of the shitwads that thinks this is funny...wouldn't work on 3G anyways dumbass. They blocked the URL...

Blocking the URL wouldn't work. All someone would have to do is go to tinyural.com and set up an alternative URL that maps to the same IP.
  • Reply 55 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I think it's rather childish to go to stores and JB their equipment.

Isn't it also vandalism and a good way to get yourself close-and-personal with the mall cops?

IMO Apple's taking it very well by merely blocking the site. I hope this doesn't also bring a policy where Apple store employees monitor shoppers too closely. Nobody wants to get "pounced" like you do at a bad car dealership....
  • Reply 56 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You are wrong.

If you install a supercharger onto your Ford Mustang, you void the warranty on the engine - even if you have not not damaged it by doing so.

Warranties are contracts. If you violate the terms of the contract, then you have voided the contract (warranty). If the warranty says you can not replace the OS and you do so, then doing so voids the warranty - even if it doesn't do any damage.

Now, there are those who argue that it's OK because you can reinstall the original OS. That is a rationalization to try to hide the fact that they have broken the contract by doing something not allowed. The fact that they MIGHT be able to return things to what THEY THINK is the original condition doesn't change that.

• Reply 57 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

Your comments about BP (at least) are childish. BP is doing an excellent job addressing the spill and was actually hindered by the government at multiple points in time. Further, BP was not the company that made the errors that led to the spill, it was not a BP crew that caused the explosion, most of the oil has already been remediated, and BP, as a whole, is actually a relatively "good" company. Look into the numbers, BP is a major producer of "alternative energy". Stop repeating what you hear on TV, it makes you look uninformed and puerile.

That's so cute!

Are those the GOP talking points for the week?

• Reply 58 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Lets run some reality checks against these claims shall we?

Which of course means that the half dozen or so iPhones unrecoverably bricked by my friends during their attempt to jailbreak them are mere figments of their imagination - they will be relieved to know that.

It is unfortunate that some of your friends attempted to do something that they did not understand and managed to get their phones in an unusable state. But it is logically bogus to equate this blunder with jailbreaking per se. To do so implies that any time that anyone attempts to jailbreak their phone, that they will invariably put it into an unusable state. Your argument amounts to bogus reasoning. In and of itself, jailbreaking does not damage the phone, even if it happens that every one of your friends who tried to jailbreak their phones only managed to break them.

Quote:

because no one, anywhere at anytime has used jailbreaking to download apps they didn't pay for (when the apps were offered under a price point), yep. Never happened. Ever.

Again you are applying nonsensical reasoning. That claim that was made, that you refuted, did not say that no software has ever been stolen by someone who has jailbroken their phone. Even if it happens to be true that every person you know who has jailbroken their phone has used this as part of a strategy to steal software, it does not mean that jailbreaking is inherently about stealing software. It only means that your friends happen to be crooks.

Quote:

because the demo accounts on the instore iPhones can be switched from the store WiFi to 3G to do it - not even especially creative, besides being stupid and adolescent in general. Perhaps you would allow me to come over a pee in your coffee cup? Many cultures regard urine as a healthy alternative to other beverages - which makes it OK.

The post to which you replied was intelligent and informed, and did not in any way advocate that anyone should go to an Apple store and jailbreak their phones. Your adolescent comment about peeing in his cup of coffee is entirely out of line.

Quote:

If you are going to offer clues to other please at least offer clues that are useable, not this drivel.

I do not ordinarily respond to a post such as yours in a manner such as this. I made an exception here, because the post to which you replied was intelligent and informed, whereas your reply to it was preposterous and inordinately rude. If the word "drivel" is appropriate, it should apply to your response, and not to the post to which you replied.
  • Reply 59 of 91
    Quote:

You are wrong.

I find it particularly irritating when people make a statement of this sort when they don't have a clue what they are talking about, and you do not have a clue what you are talking about.

Quote:

You are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you believe this, then you do not know the first thing about warranties! You can do anything that you want to your car, and it does not void the warranty unless you break something! If the manufacturer claims that you broke something and you think that you did not, then you can sue them in civil court, which is what you have to do whenever any company refuses to honor a warranty for any ostensible reason, and the onus is then on them to prove that you damaged the vehicle!!!!! Please note that I have not said anything that suggests in any way that installing a supercharger will not damage the vehicle, so please do not go down that disingenuous path. If installing a supercharger voids the warranty, it is because it caused actual damage. There has to be actual damage before the warranty is voided!

Quote:

Once again, you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!! There is a very well-known federal law that absolutely prohibits any company from attaching any condition of the sort to which you allude, to any warranty! If ever a case along these lines went to court, and an iPhone or iPad that had been jailbroken suffered a manufacturing defect for reasons that had nothing to do with the phone having been jailbroken, and Apple claimed in court that the warranty was voided because the phone had been jailbroken, and made no effort to prove that the damage in question was in fact due to the phone having been jailbroken, Apple would lose that case hands down. But of course Apple would never do that, because their lawyers, in stark contrast to you, understand this all perfectly well.

Quote:

This is utter nonsense. No way, no how does anything that you do, that does not actually cause damage to the device, void any warranty!! What you are saying is absurd. Imagine, for a moment, Apple going into court and saying something along the lines of this: "Yes, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, we acknowledge that this iPad has a manufacturing defect, and does not work because of a defect in the manufacturing. However, Mr. Smith here, the owner of this phone, had jailbroken his iPad. This has nothing to do with the reason it isn't working, but the fact that it doesn't is irrelevant, because the warranty states that the warranty will not be honored if the iPad is jailbroken. Thus, even though there is no connection whatsoever between the fact that the iPad doesn't work and the fact that he jailbroke his phone, we still are not obligated to honor the warranty."

No doubt the jury would all burst out laughing.

What you are saying is patently absurd. You did not stop to think about it at all. It annoys the heck out of me when someone like you, who does not even bother to stop and think about what he is about to say, starts off with "You are wrong." Even if you had a clue what you were talking about, that would still not be an appropriate way to begin a post. It is bad to be rude, and it is bad to not know the first thing about what you are talking about. But to be both rude and not know the first thing about what you are talking about, well, I suppose that's something that you can be proud of, since you probably don't have much else to be proud of.
  • Reply 60 of 91
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zyniker View Post

No, most likely you'd be sued on a number of property-related counts (including trespass and destruction of property).

(Of note: The aforementioned reaction applies to most companies that retail electronics [or software], not just Microsoft.)

Sure they would...