http://mashable.com/2010/08/06/hp-ceo-resigns/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

unbelievable! they were doing so well!

http://mashable.com/2010/08/06/hp-ceo-resigns/

I hope this doesn't negatively impact HP's ability to produce a viable competitor to the iPad. HP's been making good tablet PCs for years, and now that they own Palm and webOS, they have all the right elements to make some great gadgets.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Just read this on the Crunchpad-no-more-TechCrunch website.

I think this throws a spanner in the works for the HPad. I don't expect anything significant, tablet-wise, to come out of HP until early 2011.

Damn us weak humans and our extramarital affairs! Gets in the way of making tablets.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    He's getting a $40 million dollar severance package for cheating on his wife. Not bad.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

He's getting a $40 million dollar severance package for cheating on his wife. Not bad.

Just hope he doesn't get the Loreena Bobbit "severance" package to go along with it.

Seriously. The way corporations work these days, if you're a CEO, you could eat a baby and get a multi-million dollar golden parachute on your way to jail.

HP is one of the worst offenders. Look at Carly Fiorina! Shipped jobs overseas, practically destroyed the company, and made $20 million for getting fired. And now some confused people want to elect her to the Senate.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I hope this doesn't negatively impact HP's ability to produce a viable competitor to the iPad. HP's been making good tablet PCs for years, and now that they own Palm and webOS, they have all the right elements to make some great gadgets.

Actually, HP has been making difficult to use, poorly selling, hamstrung by Windows tablets for years, and now that they have acquired Palm they have a chance to clone the iPad. Outside of reasonably robust hardware, these new tablets (should they ever emerge) will have no relationship whatsoever with finicky kludges they've been selling to date.

They have precisely the same "right elements" to make a decent iPad knockoff as would any other consumer electronics company that might have acquired Palm- that is, a decently written, from the ground up touch OS that can run reasonably well on constrained hardware, and enough technical expertise to marry that to touch screen with decent battery life and decent weight.

Which I have no doubt that they will do, if they so choose, but it won't be anything that any one of a half dozen other hardware makers couldn't have done. The innovation is all in the Pre OS, not in whatever these guys have been dragging around as their tablet, er, "slate" offerings.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Annd this kind of reminds be of that southpark episode where all the wealthy people were cheating on their wives hahaha.