iPhone head Mark Papermaster leaves Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This the reality of leadership.. Military and Corporations. Your people and/or department screws up, your responsible, and you get fired more likely even if your not directly responsible.

Converting for technology time, wouldn't this be like blaming Obama for Watergate since this design was established long before he ever had a desk in Cuperinto if the design was set up before he got there?
  • Reply 22 of 209
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Apple as a company let this product out the door. did they do no testing? they are all to blame for this fiasco. Jobs stamps everything doesn't he? oh right, he claims the successes, somebody else gets the failures....

That was my first thoughts as well...they had to throw someone under the bus. So Papermaster was the guy.....SB takes all the credit and media accolades when something goes right but he throws Papermaster under the bus when Antennagate needs a sacrifice.
  • Reply 23 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Didn't IBM fail miserably at making PCs?

Um, no. They sold millions of them and became the dominant maker of personal computers for quite a few years.
  • Reply 24 of 209
    Wake up America! It is primarily an AT&T problem, not an Apple problem. You have crappy telecommunications infrastructure because you spend far too much money fighting wars in other countries and propping up Wall Street wankers (sorry, bankers).
  • Reply 25 of 209
    Quote:

If your carrier has a great network and great coverage in your area, then get one. You won't have a problem no matter how long you death grip the s*** out of it. Ask people in your area who has an iPhone 4 if they have issues. Otherwise wait next year. Personally I do think it's overblown. I don't have the issue and neither does everyone I know who has the iPhone 4. But then again it's a real issue for a few people. Not all... Or you can get one, if your having antenna issues then bring it back.

also ask any iphone 4 users living in the countries where iphone 4 was recently released. the consensus is that the antenna problem is with the carrier and not with the phone's antenna design. iphone 4 users in the other countries are not experiencing the antenna problems that users in the United States are experiencing. also, the infamous grip is not a natural way to hold any object—it's just to purposely trigger an undesired respond from a device.

anyway, i think Mr. Papermaster will end up with hp
  • Reply 26 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I agree. It raised a flag when I read it.

Gruber's source says he was fired and it was because of the antenna. His sources are typically accurate.
  • Reply 27 of 209
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

Wake up America! It is primarily an AT&T problem, not an Apple problem. You have crappy telecommunications infrastructure because you spend far too much money fighting wars in other countries and propping up Wall Street wankers (sorry, bankers).

LOL...AT&T did not make the phones...Apple did. If the 3G and 3GS never had this type of problem before then why blame AT&T now?
  • Reply 28 of 209
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Ok. Bye.
  • Reply 29 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

So, is this saying that the iPhone 4 antenna IS flawed? Or is this just a firing due to many reasons, not just this one?

I don't want to buy my first iPhone if it is indeed flawed and the next version is completely changed, and mine is worth nothing, and does indeed not work as it should.

Or, as some have said, is this STILL overblown and the antenna works as well or better than many of the other top smartphones, and Papermaster's firing has nothing to do with me having a great phone when I get it in a couple of months?

I'd really like to know. I'm so on the fence about this whole iPhone antenna thing. I can't afford to get into a 3 year contract with a flawed phone. Literally, can't afford it. $$$

I'd say this speculation is so far off base its squarely in fantasy land. His division is the most successful and dynamic at Apple right now, and the iPhone 4 is their most successful product, there's no reason to punish him unless... this success was almost completely despite his management abilities. If he wasn't their ideal choice... that should tell you something right there, Apple seems to have an excellent track record with hirings.

I'll bet you an iPhone, that he was just not a good fit for Apple's management team and as a manager required too much oversight from above for his division. Probably just too IBM/corporate to jive with the lean/mean team pushing constantly to keep product after product fresh. Probably a very, very intense job - great for the right person, terrible for the wrong one. When you send your armada out, your don't want the first mate and officers having to constantly bump heads with a captain of your flagship, just to get the damn thing outta port.
  • Reply 30 of 209
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Papermaster made a mistake. Now it's time to erase that mistake. (substitute Bob Morton for Papermaster to get the movie reference)
  • Reply 31 of 209
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Quote:

So how much did AT&T spend on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do you know?
  • Reply 32 of 209
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielchow View Post

also, the infamous grip is not a natural way to hold any object?it's just to purposely trigger an undesired respond from a device.

Not to start a shitstorm but I think Apple chose to position the problem as a 'grip' issue rather than the real problem which is an achilles point on the external surface which can in some cases cause the problem when touched.

Notwithstanding that, a friend of mine has ip4 now and we can't make any problems happen. This is in Australia, btw.
  • Reply 33 of 209
    MSNBC is also speculating that the departure was due to the antenna problem:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38609229...h_and_gadgets/

Quote:

Papermaster, who came to Apple in 2008 from IBM, could not be reached for comment at a phone number listed under his name.

Maybe he didn't get the call because he wasn't holding his iPhone 4 properly.
  • Reply 34 of 209
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

So how much did AT&T spend on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do you know?

I don't see it in their SEC filings. Maybe they're hiding their war expenses?

Let's go ask Mark Hurd if HP spent any money on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

• Reply 35 of 209
    Quote:

Or maybe not enough wars... what natural resources are in your land?

Pretty damn awesome of us to spend all that money, just to give oil contracts to every other country but the US, including China and Vietnam. The US military is pretty damn powerful, it's surprising how much plundering is not being done, despite all the accusations by armchair nimrods. Sometimes regional stability is important just for maintaining global trade, especially when you're the country responsible for the model for the modern Western world. Our investments in foreign stability and economies is still unmatched by several magnitude than any other country (scratch that... all other countries combined). That Suez Canal is still pretty important to everyone in that neighborhood, and I'm sure that its security is a much greater and pressing concern to all trade than dollar or two fluctuations in just oil prices. It's not like the English still have the muscle to protect it alone.

Then again gutter-snipping trolls never think beyond A equals B, with B usually being the opposing political cult's fault. Maybe your speculation is off base, and the value for US military actions is a little more complicated and diagonal than the strategic planning of a 14-year old?

PS. Inferior telecommunications infrastructure? Never mind the absurdity of this notion, but where do you think your country got the technology? I can't remember which country Alexander Graham Bell & Thomas Edison are from, but only a fool would try to argue that it hasn't been the dominant one in 'magic electronic waves' since the mid 1800's.
  • Reply 36 of 209
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    For a company that went to such lengths to convince the public that there was no antenna problem, firing the guy who came up with the antenna seems... hypocritical?

Are they now acknowledging there is a problem with the antenna?
  • Reply 37 of 209
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

I'll bet you an iPhone, that he was just not a good fit for Apple's management team and as a manager required too much oversight from above for his division. Probably just too IBM/corporate to jive with the lean/mean team pushing constantly to keep product after product fresh. Probably a very, very intense job - great for the right person, terrible for the wrong one. When you send your armada out, your don't want the first mate and officers having to constantly bump heads with a captain of your flagship, just to get the damn thing outta port.

This is the most plausible assessment I've read on this topic.

It is likely that Papermaster did not get along with one specific person: Steve Jobs. The Devices division was doing great before Papermaster showed up, so he can't claim all the credit. It's likely that Steve got tired of Papermaster and figured that someone else that he liked better could handle the position. I'm guessing that Papermaster reacted to the antenna issue in a way that really rankled Jobs. Maybe Papermaster suggested that they recall all devices. Or maybe he said to ignore the entire thing. We'll probably never know the exact reason, but it is clear that Apple did not want this guy in the limelight.

The fact that an ex-IBMer didn't fit in at Apple isn't surprising at all. The corporate cultures are the diametrically opposed. Even IBM's action in filing a lawsuit to prevent Papermaster from working at Apple is a prime example of how different the company cultures are.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Are they now acknowledging there is a problem with the antenna?

Nope.
  • Reply 38 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Hey clueless "screamingfist" - before you make a post that really really makes you look so stupid you should check the facts. First, only a handful of people complained. In fact, the OVERWHELMING majority of iPhone4 users say that they get much better reception and fewer dropped calls. The solution is actually quite simple - don't touch an area that is 1/16th of an inch in the lower left corner of the phone. 1/16th!!!!! How hard is that? This is something that was totally blown out of proportion by the media frenzy. As for Apple doing testing, I suggest you check out Apple's website where they show off their $100 million + testing facility. Now grow up, and go troll somewhere else.

hey dummy,

then why is this guy getting the boot?
  • Reply 39 of 209
    This story = stinking turd

Apple Insider trolls = flies

The stupid comments they leave here = maggots
  • Reply 40 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This is the most plausible assessment I've read on this topic.

It is likely that Papermaster did not get along with one specific person: Steve Jobs. The Devices division was doing great before Papermaster showed up, so he can't claim all the credit. It's likely that Steve got tired of Papermaster and figured that someone else that he liked better could handle the position. I'm guessing that Papermaster reacted to the antenna issue in a way that really rankled Jobs. Maybe Papermaster suggested that they recall all devices. Or maybe he said to ignore the entire thing. We'll probably never know the exact reason, but it is clear that Apple did not want this guy in the limelight.

The fact that an ex-IBMer didn't fit in at Apple isn't surprising at all. The corporate cultures are the diametrically opposed. Even IBM's action in filing a lawsuit to prevent Papermaster from working at Apple is a prime example of how different the company cultures are.

Nope.

one hell of a coincidence that this guy was involved with antennae, so many people had so little problem with the antenae that jobs gave a show about it, and then this guy left. amazing.