Alanis Inspires People

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7869-2002Feb26.html"; target="_blank">Clich to read</a>

[quote] For a tie-dyed alt-rocker with terrific teeth and a ringing bell of a voice, Alanis Morissette sure seems to bug a lot of people.

She has plenty of fans, of course, and about 15 million of them bought "Jagged Little Pill," her Grammy-collecting third album. But with the possible exceptions of Sinead O'Connor and Courtney Love ? both of whom are perpetually looking for a brawl ? Morissette has female vocaldom's most agitated legion of detractors. She's thrown a few elbows, too, but mostly she just wants to be loved. She's the Hillary Clinton of pop.

"Let me be perfectly frank here," begins an anti-Alanis rant on the Internet. "I would rather be chained to a cheetah and dragged through a street of knives than listen to another Alanis Morissette song. What I feel for her isn't simple hate, it is an all-encompassing repulsion not unlike what you might feel if you woke up to discover a four-pound cockroach using your toothbrush."

<hr></blockquote>

Are you an Alanis fan? I find her music about 80% shrill & boring, 20% worthwhile.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I don't have a problem with her. Even though she is canadian I think (Those Freakin Chanuk's!)

Still a little upset over the end result of that awesome gold metal hockey game. Actually I think shes quite an interesting individual, and personaly I would go as far as to say that she has the spirit of an old school Mac user, but I can not confirm the later.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    She's lame beyond belief.

The main reason I hate her is because she does that try-to-put-too-many-words-in-my-songs-so-that-it-sounds-like-I'm-actually-being-really-deep-and-philosophical crap.

Plus listening to her voice is like chewing on aluminum wrapped in sandpaper while picking your teeth with a rusty nail.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    80% shrill and boring, and the other 20% I really really really don't like.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    "You Oughta Know" kicked ass. Most of the rest I'm lukewarm on.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but I like her. "Hands Clean" is a terrific song. At least it's not electric remixed ultrapop. ICK. We know she sings her own songs. Her web site is pretty cool too.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    She's Canadian, what can I say... Just KIDDING! I LOVE Canada! Our friendly neighbor to the north!

Seriously, I don't know what the big effing deal is here. She's just a chick rocker... has she killed her kids or something? Why all the hate? I don't love her music but I don't hate it either.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I can take or leave her. She seems really honest and personal in her songs, which can be good or bad.

I imagine the hatred is leftover backlash from Jagged Little Pill, which had what, like SEVEN hit singles that were on top 40 radio and MTV all the time?

Jeff
  • Reply 8 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I harbor no ill will towards her, I'm just not a fan.

When someone gets that big so quickly, there are going to be many many folks who hate them. Especially if they are a female in rock'n'roll.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    (Those Freakin Chanuk's!)

Its Canuck DAMN IT! [french canadian accent] You stupid yankie[/french canadian accent]

I dont MIND Alanis Morriset, she has some ok songs on her first album, but I havent liked anything since it.

Our Lady Peace is just as shrill but they do write better.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I can't stand her. She has one of the worst voices I've ever heard!!! I've never understood what people see in her music.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I just can't get over the fact that she was one of the kids on You can't do that on Television on nickolodeon when I was growing up.

Don't encourage your mother... Anyone else remember that show?

[edit: I forgot to mention that I did go to a concert of hers once... to see Tori Amos who opened for her... I left after Tori was done. So, I guess I don't like her that much.]

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 15
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    [quote]Originally posted by kaboom:

<strong>She's lame beyond belief.

The main reason I hate her is because she does that try-to-put-too-many-words-in-my-songs-so-that-it-sounds-like-I'm-actually-being-really-deep-and-philosophical crap.

Plus listening to her voice is like chewing on aluminum wrapped in sandpaper while picking your teeth with a rusty nail.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I like the tunes, and some of the songs, but I have to basically agree.

The reason I started hating her, way back when, was not for HER, exactly. It was for the corporate types who got together over some tea and tofu and decided what they would need to do to seduce the public. You know, the same folks who are putting together the boy bands now. The idea that they can "program" the masses makes me SICK. Therefore, I refused to support it.

She's probably talented, really, although we may never really know. THAT's part of the problem too. The smoke-and-mirrors bunch keep talent from shining through amid the squalor.

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: finboy ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by finboy:

<strong>The reason I started hating her, way back when, was not for HER, exactly. It was for the corporate types who got together over some tea and tofu and decided what they would need to do to seduce the public. You know, the same folks who are putting together the boy bands now. The idea that they can "program" the masses makes me SICK.</strong><hr></blockquote>Yes. But isn't that true of any pop/rock music that we can hear? What's the difference between nsync and some "cool" groups that the hip people like? They both have to be supported by the music industry to get on the radio or get an album, don't they?

I just always have to when people make fun of some corporate music and then go listen to their own pop/rock, as if their music is somehow not corporate.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    While we're on it, whats the difference between Back Street boys and Aerosmith?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Alanis Morisette writes her own songs, AFAIK. That, at least, makes her better than N'Sync, The Backdoor Boys & Aerosmith.

Just because someone's music gets popular doesn't mean they were entirely a creation of the industry.

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>